Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Home Web Server

Options
  • 23-08-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a basic web server on an old PC I have. I have it set up running ubuntu server, have apache2 installed and dyndns also. I'm on a Eircom line so I have a dynamic IP but I'm using dyndns to solve that problem. I have set a static IP on my machine so the router won't assign it one with DCHP. I have dyndns set up and connected to my machine but I cannot connect to the website outside my lan.

I have a Netopia 2247-07 that was supplied by Eircom a few years back and have set up remote access via my IP, and also set up a NAT to forward to port 80 on my server. The problem is, whenever I use my dyndns host address, I am brought onto my router home page, not my apache2 default page. I guess its something to do with the port forwarding but I'm not 100%, has anyone had a similar set up with the Netopia router that could maybe offer a solution?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Many routers especially old ones just won't give up port 80 and will always use it for the remote admin logon. The problem you are seeing is definitely with the router.

You can't even flash the firmware of those Eircom routers, so your going to need one that is not an Eircom router, or, is one of the new NGB routers as they do allow proper port forwarding on port 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

You can change the port that the remote access uses on the Netopia router using telnet I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 driveshark

Thanks for the reply guys, but I found a solution last night. Just for anyone who had the same problem and wants to know what I did:

1: Log into Expert Mode on 192.168.1.254, then "Configure>Advanced"

2. Click on NAT and Define Custom Service, select the first option "Port Forwarding:
    Range of Ports", add the port you want to forward to (eg fill in port 80 in all the fields, and name your service).

3. Find the service and enable it in the NAT option, then select your host device. If you set up a static IP on your server it should show up here and will not be assigned automatically by DHCP. If its not here then you set up the static IP incorrectly on your server.

4. Click on "Static IP" in the NAT options, again select your static IP server. Now all traffic inbound on port 80 to your router will forward to that static IP.

And hey presto, it worked. I didn't need to use remote access. Also note that if you are using your IP or dyndns to check if your server is truly on the internet, you have to use a computer outside your home network, or use any free proxy on the net.

Now to figure out Apache/PHP in's and out's :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

why do you want to do it 'in the house' !?
    There are so many security issues with OSes and having it fully exposed to www just gives you problems that you do not need it...
    a basic hosting package offers you what you need and maybe more ...

I want to learn how exactly a server works, how its set up and what it is capable of. Using a hosting package isn't near as interesting or useful if I ever wanted to venture into server set up. I know there's alot of security flaws but the server isn't connected to the net full time and port forwarding etc is disabled.

I've got hosting plans already for websites, but I never truely understood the technology behind them so my set up suits me down to the ground.

• Advertisement

thanks for reply...actually that makes sense !!!

can you elaborate on your strategy on learning it !?
    just curious myself !

Also,why *UNIX and not IIS !?

Well I hope to try and learn Apache2, I've just got the basic basic set up working so far and I'm finding it difficult to get good resources to learn more Apache. I have a good knowledge of Java, HTML and CSS, and I'm learning PHP at the moment so I can add more functionality. What I hope to end up with is a good in-depth knowledge of the most popular web development facilites.

I've used linux as I have experiance with it, command wise etc plus its free. Learning all the above is free, but time consuming and thats the main problem at the minute! I'll get there someday :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sleepless.ie

You could use NAT but I don't know what Eircom router support it.

to make it 'secure' and leave 24/7,select a different port for http(s) on the Unix box,let's say 12321 and configure NAT according.
    also,for accessing the website,type http://mywebserver:12321

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Damok

Hi,

The solution for me was to change the port for the router landing page, using telnet. See the instructions here, http://www.netopia.com/support/intl/eircom/cli_srvr.html.

Then you're browsing to the router page you'll have to specify the new port number also, i.e. http://192.168.1.254:8080. If you don't specify the port number, or specify it as port 80, you'll be forwarded to the http server you've set up.

Also make sure the http server is configured to accept external connections, that got me for a while. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

rolion wrote: »
    to make it 'secure' and leave 24/7,select a different port for http(s) on the Unix box,let's say 12321 and configure NAT according.
    also,for accessing the website,type http://mywebserver:12321

Alternatively, leave it on port 80 for everyone to access and make sure all security patches are installed and the software is up to date.

driveshark wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply guys, but I found a solution last night. Just for anyone who had the same problem and wants to know what I did:

1: Log into Expert Mode on 192.168.1.254, then "Configure>Advanced"

2. Click on NAT and Define Custom Service, select the first option "Port Forwarding:
    Range of Ports", add the port you want to forward to (eg fill in port 80 in all the fields, and name your service).

3. Find the service and enable it in the NAT option, then select your host device. If you set up a static IP on your server it should show up here and will not be assigned automatically by DHCP. If its not here then you set up the static IP incorrectly on your server.

4. Click on "Static IP" in the NAT options, again select your static IP server. Now all traffic inbound on port 80 to your router will forward to that static IP.

And hey presto, it worked. I didn't need to use remote access. Also note that if you are using your IP or dyndns to check if your server is truly on the internet, you have to use a computer outside your home network, or use any free proxy on the net.

Thats how I've got mine working again with the Netopia router, it wasn't too difficult and worked perfect, I just need to take the time to sit down and configure the server properly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PCrepairman.ie

driveshark wrote: »
    I want to learn how exactly a server works, how its set up and what it is capable of. Using a hosting package isn't near as interesting or useful if I ever wanted to venture into server set up. I know there's alot of security flaws but the server isn't connected to the net full time and port forwarding etc is disabled.

I've got hosting plans already for websites, but I never truely understood the technology behind them so my set up suits me down to the ground.

Might I suggest a VMware ESXi setup.
    Since you are looking to learn you can install multiple versions and setups.
    You can also use the snapshots feature to experiment and then rollback your changes without breaking your setup completely.

Also LAMP lamphowto.com or WAMP wampserver.com/en/ are nice easy setups for PHP and apache with Mysql.

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

vmware ESXi wouldnt be what the op is looking for.

if you get your hands on Win Server Web Edition.. it is the best to run a Webpage off it, make sure your Server is on its own on a Network if it did get attacked..

just cos you put a Static on your Router does not mean your Eircom ip will not change.

if you still have the Eircom Shi**y as* router get your self a Belkin or linksys(CISCO) home router.

to run your site / build adobe DW is the best out their. just make sure you have a good bandwidth and upload limit.

Advertisement