Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation for NUIG

Options
  • 23-08-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hey Everybody!

I just been accepted into medicine at NUIG and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of good accommodation?

I see on some other threads that people urge us green First Years to experience Corrib Village. However, I also see that it can be quite noisy--something which doesn't really complement a heavily study-based course, such as medicine.

I've looked at the accommodation page on the NUIG site and have looked at the nine residences there. Menlo Park, Cúirt na Coiribe and Gort na Coiribe seem to be nice places. Does anyone have any expericences of them? Would single (preferably ensuite) rooms still be available there?

I was also considering getting digs, maybe for the first semester, and then finding a few people to go with into a house later on in the year.

What would you advise I do? Any information in any of these areas of accommodation will be greatly appreciated, including areas to avoid, etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

Look for rooms now, as it would be hard to get people to share with later in the year.

You should look more for location, as somewhere near the supermarkets and college will save ALOT of time... Your furnishings etc. should not bother you much as you obviously won't have much time between college and fun. :)

You wil save alot of money if you get private accommodation and they will mostly be booked up by now.

Med students all seem to stick together and societies are an easy way to make new friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

What do you mean by rooms? Rooms as in student-apartmenty type rooms or digs-type rooms?

(I'm sorry, I'm new to this. :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

As in a room in an apartment or a house!

Thanks for clarifying! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭No.5

Hey :)
    I'm heading to NUIG this year and I had an absolute nightmare as regards accommodation over the past few days. However, by some miracle I managed to get a spot in Gort na Coiribe this morning! So, I literally took the bus up to Galway today complete with my bank draft and application form and had my application accepted. Unfortunately, from what I gathered, Cúirt, Gort and Corrib Village are definitely fully booked up :( However, staff are saying that you can put your name on a waiting list for Cuirt and Gort and that a deposit is not necessary for that. Two of my friends are currently on said waiting lists for both, but they were told that they would not be notified of an available room, until possibly two days before they're due to start University! I was also speaking to a lady in Dúnaras, yesterday, who informed me that they still have some rooms. She expected them to be all occupied before Friday though. :)
    Oh and single rooms seem to be like gold dust at this late stage...I had to take a twin, but oh well :) Saving me money at the end of the day!
    Hope this is of some help to you!

• Advertisement

Thanks No. 5.

Oh dear, I'm seem to be rather screwed now... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭No.5

No problem!
    don't worry too much, hopefully there could be some cancellations after the second round offers, know a few people who are banking on that :/

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Hey pourquoi. I would reccomend digs at this late stage. Even for first year it lets you find your feet. I did in my first year in Cork. You can study and not worry about noise or cooking and cleaning. Maybe you could ask the accomodation office about the best places?

Congrats on getting medicine. Super impressed. Im moving to galway next week to do a masters in Nuig. I was lucky to get a cancellation in Cuirt na Coiribe about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TimeToWander

Hey, Myself & a friend, both girls going into 1st year found a great 5 bedroom house today. 15mins walk to town, & 20 to uni.
    5 equally sized bed rooms, great condition house.
    70 p/w .

we need 3 more people who can come down to see it asap

Pm me & leave your facebook....;)

Advertisement