Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice & Experience

Options
  • 23-08-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

Simply...I have made the decision to invest in a nice watch.

The question for the experienced group here is...any advice/suggestions??

Ideally, I am looking for an 18ct gold , classic and sinple looking watch for every day use - i'm an everyday suit wearer (though the more i research, the more i think about this as the start of my collection!). Something along the lines of the Omega Deville Prestige or the Omega Deville Small Seconds (you might guess where my research has been initially!).

The all important budget is somewhere up to about €4k i think (possible to go a little further if something special comes along).

Happy to take thoughts on new vs. second hand also (and any experiences people have had). I am also not adverse to a very nice vintage watch. Preference is not to buy online.

Finally...in your opinions...where is the best place to buy a watch in Dublin?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Does it happy to be Gold and new?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Watchtime

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Does it happy to be Gold and new?

Hi Bullseye,

Yes, I would like it to be yellow gold. Does not have to be knew. Happy to look at used and vintage.

Thanks for the deville sample below - beautiful watch.

I'm not restricted to Omega so any other ideas also welcome!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

Well in the price range of a used Patek ( dozens on eBay within your limit),

More Rolex Datejust/Day Date President than you could shake a stick at (although gold Rolex can be a bit tacky)

Used Jaeger Reverso - true classic

Concord Delerium is nice looking....but value will sink like a stone in months not years

For a solid gold vintage buy, well within your budget, I would start looking now for a mint original dial Pie Pan Constellation on a beads of rice bracelet and a lizard band to swap around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Homer

If you have an iPhone try downloading the blowers iPhone app. You can view their archive of pre owned timepieces which is vast and wide-ranging.. You can even set up alerts to let you know when certain models come into stock. Just a word of caution though, for some reason all the prices show up in € but should actually be £

• Advertisement

Thanks folks, good food for thought.

app downloaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Vintage JLC or perhaps Rolex Cellini would possibly come in at about half your budget though not maybe if bought in Dublin. What's your optimum size as vintage dress watches will often be a little small?

Vintage JLC or perhaps Rolex Cellini would possibly come in at about half your budget though not maybe if bought in Dublin. What's your optimum size as vintage dress watches will often be a little small?

Thank CarltonBrowne - i have looked at the Cellini but preference would be for the deville ahead of this.

Size wise...i'm not entirely sure but i would say in the region 38-41mm

This is nice http://www.iwc.com/en-us/collection/portuguese/IW3714/ ...any idea on pricing for IWC (new or used?) and good location in Dublin to handle them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Homer

Watchtime wrote: »
    Thank CarltonBrowne - i have looked at the Cellini but preference would be for the deville ahead of this.

Size wise...i'm not entirely sure but i would say in the region 38-41mm

This is nice http://www.iwc.com/en-us/collection/portuguese/IW3714/ ...any idea on pricing for IWC (new or used?) and good location in Dublin to handle them?

Thanks

Paul Sheeran Jewellers in Dublin are the only AD for IWC in Ireland. The Portuguese you linked to is stunning but just over 6k is over your stated budget. You can of course look for a pre owned but they are fairly scarce from the recent searches I carried out in the decisions, decisions thread.
    Certainly go and try one on for size and aesthetic purposes and decide whether it's the watch for you?

Thanks all...very helpful.

I'll let you know how I get on!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Niiiice. I do love the handwinds. Oddball that I am. I'd miss the daily ritual that an automatic denies me. :o I love the nod to IWC's past with the very long regulator thingy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement