Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft equation editor problem

Options
  • 23-08-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have a bit a of a problem with Microsoft equation editor that I was hoping someone could shed some light on. I'm writing a thesis and have put in a pile of equations using Equation editor. I went back to edit it then and was changing the font from Times new roman to Arial and that all worked fine too. But then today when i went to add another equation it won't display the 'minus' sign, and if editing equations written previously, where the minus was shown, all of a sudden there's no minus???

I've had a good look online but haven't been able to come up with anything so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Had you previously written the document in a version of Word different to the one you're using now? (i.e. different laptop etc).

Look at the top of the document when it's open - does it say "Compatibility Mode"? If so, that's the reason why the Eqn. Editor is not working properly. Compatibility Mode has a habit of messing up certain functions.

To get rid of Comp. Mode, save the document as a new name, close, and then re-open it. That should fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

OP, if it's feasible, I would recommend that you switch to LaTeX - you won't have to deal with such formatting problems in future and it will save you literally 100's of hours versus Word (which simply was not designed for typesetting technical documents).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

+1 for Latex. Takes some time to learn but it is definitely the way to go if you have a lot of maths stuff to write.

Advertisement