Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of college and reapplying to CAO

Options
  • 23-08-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi guys!
    This is probably the wrong forum so mods, feel free to move! I'm just asking for some info on behalf of my friend. The two of us did the LC last year, did the CAO and started in our chosen courses.
    My friend wasn't too sure she liked her course but she was encouraged by family and friends to keep at it. Eventually last Easter she cracked and decided to drop out, but she didn't notify the college that she was dropping out, she just stopped turning up to college, and didn't sit her exams. She reapplied to the CAO this year, and got offered a course that would suit her much better.
    I must add in now that her family are not very well off at all, so she was receiving quite a substantial grant.
    Now, what I would like to know is what happens now? I believe that she has to pay fees for the year she did, but dropped out of, am I right? How does she get notified on how much she has to pay? And what happens to her grant, will she not be able to get it anymore, and if not, is there any sort of large student loan she could take out because she won't be able to afford to go to college otherwise.
    Thanks for any information supplied :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

ajjmk wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    This is probably the wrong forum so mods, feel free to move! I'm just asking for some info on behalf of my friend. The two of us did the LC last year, did the CAO and started in our chosen courses.
    My friend wasn't too sure she liked her course but she was encouraged by family and friends to keep at it. Eventually last Easter she cracked and decided to drop out, but she didn't notify the college that she was dropping out, she just stopped turning up to college, and didn't sit her exams. She reapplied to the CAO this year, and got offered a course that would suit her much better.
    I must add in now that her family are not very well off at all, so she was receiving quite a substantial grant.
    Now, what I would like to know is what happens now? I believe that she has to pay fees for the year she did, but dropped out of, am I right? How does she get notified on how much she has to pay? And what happens to her grant, will she not be able to get it anymore, and if not, is there any sort of large student loan she could take out because she won't be able to afford to go to college otherwise.
    Thanks for any information supplied :)

I think you may be right, Not 100% sure but eh, I paid the 2000 last year, left and am probably looking at 7000-9000. I was sickish so i'm gonna try and use that but if it doesn't work there's nothing I can do about it, i'll either have to get a long term load for 9000 a year for the 3 years or leave. I dunno how a student load works though. Grants also become null if you're looking for a second course...I think. I really hate the way I got pushed into going to college without all the information. Schools should really make you aware, there is no need to go straight to college right after School. My school sort of pushed everyone into the CAO and expected everyone to do it. Ridiculous anyway, I had no idea the money would go up 5 grand if I wanted to leave

Just wait anyway, someone will be along to tell you about the loans in a while i'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1 barakat

am new on this and i acc dont know how this work
    well i diid my leaving cert and got into college my grant did not come through as i wasnt ellagable for it ,i later got sick of my course and was no longer intrested in it so i droped out of college now i want to reply for the cao but i dont know what to do and also will i have to pay my first year fees of the college.

Thanks for any information supplied

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Yeah, you only qualify for free fees once per year. So if you fail a year or drop out, you pay full fees if you go back to college (I think it might be instead of the student contribution as opposed to on top of it, not that its much of a consolation - not sure about that one though).

As far as I know the grant works the same way. If it's a four year course you can only get the grant for four years. I'm not sure if that means you'll lose the grant in your final year or if you lose it this year and can apply again next year. I'm not sure. It's worth looking into.

This is why it helps to do a lot of research on your course before you go. Going to college just for the sake of going to college (especially if you are less well off like myself and will be relying on a grant) is a bad idea. Find something you love and pursue it, even if that means putting off college for a year or so to discover what that thing is..

Advertisement