Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

InGame proposal !! Portal :) :D

Options
  • 23-08-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Seen this on Rock Paper Shotgun

Extraordinarily talented map creator Douglas “TopHATTwaffle” Hoogland was commissioned by one Gary Hudston to create a very particular series of Portal 2 levels. Working with Rachel “Miss Stabby” van der Meer, he set about creating some truly spectacular Portal 2 puzzles that lead up to, well, something of a proposal.

The Gary Hudston Project, as the task became known, was Gary’s means of proposing to his girlfriend Stephanie. Which is pretty damned romantic. It could also have been rather cheesy, were it handled by a less talented team. But Hoogland and van der Meer have created something really spectacular (if Valve aren’t offering them jobs soon, I’ll be surprised) and you can watch the whole thing here:

Quite how they made the GLaDOS voice I have no idea, unless they somehow commissioned Ellen McLain herself to perform the new script. It’s spot on. Edit: Apparently he did! And if that moment with the room converting itself into a church didn’t make you give a heartfelt smile, then you need to slap yourself awake.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I still think marriage is a pile of crap, but damn it that was sweet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That was brilliant. Fair play to the guys who made it. Really well made levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Fair play to him recruiting the voice of GLaDOS :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Er, how did he get his future wife to play a custom Portal level?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Girls play games too, you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,126 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Now that's romantic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's good but doesn't top the Earthbound proposal

It's infinitely better

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

In fairness, Ellen McLain's involvement alone blows everything else out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Call me a cynic but whoever is playing that level doesn't once make a mistake in actually completing it. I know it's a fairly straightforward set of puzzles but I mean, they don't even look in the wrong direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Newaglish wrote: »
    Call me a cynic but whoever is playing that level doesn't once make a mistake in actually completing it. I know it's a fairly straightforward set of puzzles but I mean, they don't even look in the wrong direction?

Im pretty sure (in fact 1000000%) it was the level builder just showing what he did. In fact he says it at the start. I'd say he waited till after the proposal was accepted or rejected and than uploaded a video of him playing it himself to show what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wow .........:eek: read the piece of the text at teh very start of the video

padr said it in a nicer way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thanks a lot OP that was so sweet that now I have to go out in the dark and drown this bag of cute furry kittens* to cleanse myself :mad:

*NB no actual kittens will be harmed...this time !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thats brilliant! Fair play to Gary!!

padr81 wrote: »
    Im pretty sure (in fact 1000000%) it was the level builder just showing what he did. In fact he says it at the start. I'd say he waited till after the proposal was accepted or rejected and than uploaded a video of him playing it himself to show what he did.

Call me dense but I didn't see that (and still don't!)

You're dense :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Damn, no wonder he proposed to her if she plays portal!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

on june somfin .......................................i received an email saying i was accepted.

its the opening text :eek::confused:

dreamers75 wrote: »
    on june somfin .......................................i received an email saying i was accepted.

its the opening text :eek::confused:
    On June 19th Gary posted a want ad on ThinkingWithPortals.com for a secret Portal 2 project.

He was looking for a good level designer. On July 19th I applie, with no knowledge of what it could be.

Soon after I received an e-mail telling me I was accepted for the project.

I was told about the project and all of its details.

Soon after the start of the project the wonderful Miss Stabby joined the team.

This is the Gary Hudston project.

I still figured this was a recording of the girlfriend actually playing the game. It's not exactly explicitly stating that it's him playing it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

She must be some Portal player if she solved it perfectly on her first play through so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

original video

reaction video

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

"I can't stress the importance of this next test. You wouldn't want to break his heart"
    The Borderlands one was pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

gg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Kiith wrote: »
    Girls play games too, you know.

Not the ones you want to marry ....

... I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

In fairness, Ellen McLain's involvement alone blows everything else out of the water.

Definitely, the fact he managed to get her on board is brilliant.

That's a very nice thing btw :)

Advertisement