Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ Comps

Options
  • 23-08-2011 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I got picked to play the Belfast leg of the Movida Corona DJ comp. I haven't competed in any DJ comps before but I looking forward to it now. Anybody had any experience with them or have any tips ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Never bothered with them personally. Seems a handy way for a promoter (usually also a DJ) to get people to play for free without having to actually do anything (the music is covered, the people will bring their friends to get louder reactions and win). All the while the young DJ thinks the contest will launch them straight on the plane to Ibiza to support Paul van Dyk in Amnesia.

But, hey, some others might have different experience and maybe my cynicism caused me to miss out. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Never entered one, just plan your set out to the finest detail, and really go to town with the technical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

leggo wrote: »
    Never bothered with them personally. Seems a handy way for a promoter (usually also a DJ) to get people to play for free without having to actually do anything (the music is covered, the people will bring their friends to get louder reactions and win). All the while the young DJ thinks the contest will launch them straight on the plane to Ibiza to support Paul van Dyk in Amnesia.

But, hey, some others might have different experience and maybe my cynicism caused me to miss out. Who knows?

I'm sure it's just your cynicism that's preventing your rise to stardom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

ianuss wrote: »
    I'm sure it's just your cynicism that's preventing your rise to stardom.

:confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

DMC mixing championships is the only competition i ever paid attention to

Good luck anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Anybody had any experience with them or have any tips ?

Dont have any to offer, but you might need to (tip large) if you wanna win :P

90% of these comps are rigged so the guy with the most mates or best mates or mates with the judges win, sad but true.

Do your best, get a reaction enjoy it, any exposure is a bonus, winning is a plus+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 datapunk

This one seems pretty good. They announce a winner each month who go into a draw at the end of the year. The site is pretty cool too for linking all your music from places like Soundcloud and Mixcloud. See details for the comp here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

and on the T&C
    Entry is only open to "Eligible Entrants", being individuals who: (i) are residents of Australia;

There are a few comps doing the rounds, Letsmix.com is pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 datapunk

oh right:o i checked out the Roger Shah remix comp on there and that seems to be global.

yeh i do remember that letsmix site when it first started but never got into it.

Advertisement