Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millennium clock

Options
  • 22-08-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Anyone here remember this ill-fated timepiece that was supposed to provide a countdown to the millennium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

apparently after the end of the world didnt happen, the millenium clock and the millenium bug started a doomsday cult on a ranch outside Wicklow and are predicting our demise at 11:11am on 11/11/11

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

BBDBB wrote: »
    apparently after the end of the world didnt happen, the millenium clock and the millenium bug started a doomsday cult on a ranch outside Wicklow and are predicting our demise at 11:11am on 11/11/11

Sounds like a bit of a looney thing to do IMO. I don't know why people follow this sort of obvious crackpot type of thing. Or am I just being naive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I believe it's in Liverpool getting fixed... just out of interest can you still buy a postcard from the Liffey depicting the exact time you bought the postcard (I seem to remember this)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Better known as The Time In The Slime!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

deelite wrote: »
    I believe it's in Liverpool getting fixed... just out of interest can you still buy a postcard from the Liffey depicting the exact time you bought the postcard (I seem to remember this)

It was taken out in about 1997 and the postcard unit removed at the same time... if its in Liverpool its likely staying there!

The dent in the bridge for the hole now has the "Pat Noise" plaque in it.

http://blather.net/img/****egeist/_MG_0013_father_pat_noise.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What is it with Dubs and the obsession to put a nickname on everything :D

Most every one with new names, some have two or three
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statues_in_Dublin

It's doesn't happen in other Irish cities

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

It happens in Sligo too!

There's an effeminate statue of WB Yeats in the town, known as the '**** at the Bank', and another at a seaside village of a busty woman called the 'Whore on the Shore!'

I'm sure it's in other towns too. I can't think of any offhand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 britespark

It happens in Sligo too!

There's an effeminate statue of WB Yeats in the town, known as the '**** at the Bank', and another at a seaside village of a busty woman called the 'Whore on the Shore!'

I'm sure it's in other towns too. I can't think of any offhand though.
    Dont forget the fluzzie in the jaquzzi that used to be on oconnell street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

britespark wrote: »

SHe's now just at Arlington hotel just top of the liffey

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

d1975 wrote: »
    SHe's now just at Arlington hotel just top of the liffey

Ashling Hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Ah the old 'time in the slime'. I remember when it went in I was working in town at the time and nipped down to see it at lunch time, twas the biggest anti climax ever.

Another fine waste of money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

britespark wrote: »

AKA the whore in the sewer :D

Gotta love the Irish humour

The Stilletto in the Ghetto
    The Hags with the Bags
    The Prick with the Stick
    The Tart with the Cart

Not sure where the Millenium Clock went

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

deelite wrote: »

I remember putting fifty pence into the machine for one of those post cards and it just ate my money, every facet of the millennium clock project was a dismal failure!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tails142 wrote: »
    every facet of the millennium clock project was a dismal failure!

Were Dublin City Council involved in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember the night they launched it, the Late Late show and Gaybo were covering it.

That hill billy fella Kavanagh sang 'Aon Focal eile' and played a few other woeful tunes to the crowd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I remember the night they launched it, the Late Late show and Gaybo were covering it.

That hill billy fella Kavanagh sang 'Aon Focal eile' and played a few other woeful tunes to the crowd.

I'd say there wasnt a dry eye in the house...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

For posterity: a scan of one of postcards the countdown timer produced (upon deposit of 20p) from a kiosk on O'Connell Bridge, giving the number of seconds remaining until the year 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

^^ Nice :D
    Got one of those myself. No idea where it is now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Anyone remember the millennium candles that each house got from An Post ? They came in a green canister. I still have ours somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

73Cat wrote: »
    Anyone remember the millennium candles that each house got from An Post ? They came in a green canister. I still have ours somewhere.

Yes,ours was lit during Christmas and used up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

pdbhp wrote: »
    Another fine waste of money.
    £250,000 apparently, and probably another needless fortune to remove too.

I remember thinking "at last a clock in town that I can trust" as so many clocks on buildings are not accurate. But I don't think it even told the time, just a countdown. I think it was planned to stay afterwards with the regular time showing.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/time-out-for-the-millennium-clock-1.35277
    ONLY three days after it was switched on to great fanfare, the Millennium Clock has disappeared from the River Liffey. Hundreds of puzzled Dubliners and visitors were practically falling into Anna Livia yesterday trying to get a look at the National Lottery's £250,000 clock, which is supposed to float just beneath the surface of the river near O'Connell Bridge.
    They were bitterly disappointed to find it was gone. It had been removed and nobody seemed to know where it was hidden or if it would return. There was confusion and no shortage of Dublin explanations as to where "the Chime in the Slime" might be hiding. According to one observer "I've heard of moving statues, but this is ridiculous".

Advertisement