Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routes to Nursing

Options
  • 22-08-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hey everybody, just wondering does anyone know if they're is any other route to nursing besides applying through the CAO? I am going into my third yr of a degree I've no interest in but I cannot afford to apply through the CAO and pay fee's etc. I was wondering is there any part-time/evening/FETAC/postgraduate courses where I could work my way up to nursing? Any advice would really be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 123ame

i got accepted into nursing in queens belfast, there is no fees and you get £500 (at least) a month however i have heard rumors that next year they are introducing fees for it and means testing the bursary but it might be worth while inquiring. Also it is a 3 year degree wheres as in the republic its 4 years and there is NO postgraduate for nursing, you have to start from the begining.
    http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofNursingandMidwifery/

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

My wife is considering to move away from what she's doing now and become a nurse. I came across 2007 brochure issued by Nursing Careers Centre. Well, many things have changed since. Could anyone advise what options does mature applicant have to make a carrer move to nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

123ame wrote: »
    i got accepted into nursing in queens belfast, there is no fees and you get £500 (at least) a month however i have heard rumors that next year they are introducing fees for it and means testing the bursary but it might be worth while inquiring. Also it is a 3 year degree wheres as in the republic its 4 years and there is NO postgraduate for nursing, you have to start from the begining.
    http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofNursingandMidwifery/

Unfortunately I applied but got turned down, my personal statement was quiet rushed though. How did you get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sandee

Tazbars I am in the same position. I am currently going into the 3rd year of my PhD in a social sciences subject, I find it interesting enough but I cannot see myself using it and I think I would like to train as a nurse. Once I have finished my PhD I will have spent 8 years at university, I am afraid to tell people that I plan on going back and starting all over again. Usually when I mention it to a few close friends they laugh and dont realise just how serious I am. You getting similar reactions?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

sandee wrote: »
    Tazbars I am in the same position. I am currently going into the 3rd year of my PhD in a social sciences subject, I find it interesting enough but I cannot see myself using it and I think I would like to train as a nurse. Once I have finished my PhD I will have spent 8 years at university, I am afraid to tell people that I plan on going back and starting all over again. Usually when I mention it to a few close friends they laugh and dont realise just how serious I am. You getting similar reactions?

Hi sandee, well as I am only in my 3rd year of my undergrad its not as long of time spent in college however on a money level it is a main concern. I am more worried about spending four more years in college and wasting all the money on accommodation, fee's, grants all for nothing. Thats my primary concern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sandee

Hi Tazbars I totally understand money is going to be an issue. Not meaning to sound patronising I like to think that its an investment. Once you have completed the course and you have a job that you are happy enough to get yourself out of bed for, the financial cost of doing it in the first place will be a distant memory.

If its possible to secure the cost of the fees - say with savings and a loan combined- and then work part-time while training, I think it can be manageable. Even depending on where you are training you might get paid during your placements.

There may be options in the UK also where the fees are significantly smaller and you get a small amount of money each month to meet living costs. I think Queens Uni Belfast offers their students something like this, but you have to be a resident of the UK prior to registering. I am not completely certain of these details though, and there might be similar options opened to potential Irish students.

Although you have to be realistic, there are ways around obstacles even financial ones, you just need to be clever how you manage things.

I hope to begin by working in the health related sector to gain experience, saving as much money as I possibly can over about two years and then start the degree. There is alot also to be said for the power of the mind, keep imagining yourself in that nurses uniform and soon enough you will be.

When you say it might be all for noting is that because you are not sure if nursing is the right job for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

PLC courses? no?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 elley29

Hi all, I am so glad I came across this thread, I am also thinking of going back to do nursing, but having already completed a 4 year honours degree I will have to pay fees in Ireland so i have been looking into scotland and nothern ireland as an option but not sure if I will face the same challenge of already having a degree affecting my chance at getting into a course in n.i or scotland or how it will impact on fees,etc.

PlC are really good idea to help you get an idea of what is involved in nursing etc, but its very hard nearly impossible for it to get you a place in college for nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 orlzy22

Hi guys,

I already have a degree, and i hope to apply to queens for adult nursing in the next few weeks, does anybody know if people from the republic of ireland get the bursary each month.i think the are after cutting it down to 430 a month now it used be 500...i cant afford to study in ireland as I would be paying 7000 a year for tuition fees and student contribution charge alone. also thinking of applying for the 2 year msc in adult nursing graduate entry route in the university of hertfordshire & maybe liverpool john moores...but i wold love if i got queens...can anybody give me any advice etc:)

Advertisement