Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Insurance

Options
  • 22-08-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

My insurance is up soon and I just got my renewal notice from the insurer I've been with 8 years. It's gone up by nearly €100 to €485 (Fully comp and with no claims protection). My car is only worth around €1,000 now (1998 Mk3 5dr Golf), so I think (???) it makes sense to go onto 3rd party fire and theft.

Is there any reason why this doesn't make sense?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Shop around?

Thats what I'd do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

123.ie

that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Have you been just accepting the renewal quotes for the last 7 years? They must have been exceedingly good quotes

shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

insure.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ask your Insurance company for copies of your NCB and tell them you want these so you can shop around as their quote is no longer competitive. Get the cheapest you quote you find and knock 20% off it and tell that figure to your current insurance company. If they cannot match it or beat it then move!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Trampas

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Ask your Insurance company for copies of your NCB and tell them you want these so you can shop around as their quote is no longer competitive. Get the cheapest you quote you find and knock 20% off it and tell that figure to your current insurance company. If they cannot match it or beat it then move!

you get your ncb with your renewal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Waste of money IMO going comprehensive on a car worth only a grand....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Try insure, 123 and Tesco. Best really. Avoid Quinn... they're quoting mad prices lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Vicxas wrote: »
    Try insure, 123 and Tesco. Best really. Avoid Quinn... they're quoting mad prices lately.
    There's no such thing as a 'best' insurance company, it varies by person. The only way is to shop around, call everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Delancey wrote: »
    Waste of money IMO going comprehensive on a car worth only a grand....

In some repects, Yes agreed. But you won't say that when you have a no fault accident and need an ambulance, time off work, hire car and want to dispute the €200 you get offered for your reliable €1000 motor that had 9 months tax on it, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 redvanman

hi guys I recently went from a 2.5 TDI transporter to a 1.4 petrol golf and the insurance went up €100 (fully comp on both). I was told any car description with the word " golf " will have a higher premium regardless of engine size. I also got a quotes for bmw 320d and they were same price as the transporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Anan1 wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a 'best' insurance company, it varies by person. The only way is to shop around, call everyone.
    Yup, 123 have given me BONKERS quotes because, despite having 5yrs plus NCB, I don't fit into their target market (1.4ish, newish car).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭laraido

Yes, I had stayed with my insurer the last 7 years simply because they were in around the €300 mark and most competitive, until this year.
    Anyway, just went to 123.ie and got myself and herself insured fully comp (with all its benefits) for €335, only a few quid more than 3rd party, so happy with that.

Thanks all
    Lar

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Vicxas wrote: »
    Can you support that? Very broad statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

As above Quinns prices have sored this year !!
    I got €200 reduction with RSA despite losing 3 years no claims after a minor accident before xmas last. 123.ie seem to be very competitive at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭chinwag

laraido wrote: »
    Yes, I had stayed with my insurer the last 7 years simply because they were in around the €300 mark and most competitive, until this year.
    Anyway, just went to 123.ie and got myself and herself insured fully comp (with all its benefits) for €335, only a few quid more than 3rd party, so happy with that.

Thanks all
    Lar

That sound like a good price.
    Maybe female being on the policy helped?
    My last premium was a little below your original quote (similar car but 2008), I have full NCB too, but didn't get other magic quotes! I'm with my ins co a number of years too.
    Some ins companies offer good promotional quotes but for first premium only. Anyway, you got it sorted ok.

Advertisement