Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any point to a medic alert bracelet?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Folks,
    I've recently been convinced that I should start wearing a medic alert bracelet (diabetec).

However, it's bugging the hell out of me so I was just wondering if they are of any use. Are they something that is regularly checked in the event of collapse or whatever else might happen?

Would appreciate if anyone could let me know. If they are of use I'll just have to get used to it. If not the thing is going in the bin.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yes all trained emergency medical personnel are expected to look for medic alert bracelets. It could save your life in a hypo situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Thanks for that BX 19 - I may get used to it so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

ElBarco wrote: »
    Thanks for that BX 19 - I may get used to it so!

Order of Malta are trained to look for them also.

So Yes, they are very much used !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

During our first aid training we are told to look for a medic alert bracelet or necklace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I looked into the whole posting a picture but soon gave up when I hadnt a clue what I was doing.

Im type 2 diabetic. Have been since 2004, my mother bought me a simple ID bracelet. One that you would have your name engraved on. Its simply says DIABETIC on one side and underneath has a phone number. I looked at the medic alert bracelets but in the end thought they were too flimsy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The course I done on first aid, we where told to look for the medical bracelet.
    Alot of people even have ICE ( in case of emergancy) saved into their mobiles. I don't know how good that is though cos phones can go flying in am accident etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, ICE was widely publicized among bikers.

But not a huge issue, if you are found at the scene of the accident, Mam, Dad, Home, Wife, they'll find something in the mobile

Wow, I'm glad I don't have to make those phonecalls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I looked into the whole posting a picture but soon gave up when I hadnt a clue what I was doing.

Im type 2 diabetic. Have been since 2004, my mother bought me a simple ID bracelet. One that you would have your name engraved on. Its simply says DIABETIC on one side and underneath has a phone number. I looked at the medic alert bracelets but in the end thought they were too flimsy.

That does just as good, even a piece of paper or a card in a persons wallet or purse with their medical condition on it is just as handy. As long as there is something to identify a possible problem should you be found unconcious.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Goonerdee wrote: »

That does just as good, even a piece of paper or a card in a persons wallet or purse with their medical condition on it is just as handy. As long as there is something to identify a possible problem should you be found unconcious.

I went with a leather one with a metal plate on it. This has the medic alert symbol on the front with my details on the back. I didn't like the look of the metal bracelets either.

Advertisement