Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Veneers - Durathin?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, seeking advice on best veneers. Are Durathin best and are there only two dentists providing them in IRL? Any info on experiences with Durathin and costs most welcome. Most importantly are Durathin suitable for a person with overlap on front teeth? Many thanks. E.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Hey OP.

Don't get too worried about the brand of Veneer- this is mere marketing by the labs that make them and then re marketed to the patient by the dentist who are certified providers...! eg durathin, lumineers, ultrathin&whiteveneers (I made that one up). Put it this way, I do oral surgery but work with a prosthodontist who does veneers all the time and I've never heard of him talking about Durathin...! and he uses the best of everything....

The skill of doing veneers correctly is first patient selection (not everyone is suitable), ideal tooth preparation and accurate impressions, an excellent ceramic lab (my colleague who specializes in this area uses none of these branded labs, probably pays more for his lab work than these branded labs but gets far superior veneers made) and an amazingly strict cementation routine....

Depends on the degree of overlap, veneers should bond to enamel not the underlying dentine. If very crooked or overlapped- the teeth will need to be drilled a lot to align them with veneers- then the dentine will be exposed and then the bond will not be as good, crowns may be a better and more predictable option but hard to tell over the broadband.....;)

Good luck OS

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Emmaline

Thank you so much for such a prompt and comprehensive reply. The brand issue you explain makes a lot of sense. I had heard that Durathin did not necessitate damaging/filing own teeth which appealed. I am a bit bewildered trawling through 'smile galleries'/case study sections on various dentist sites and seeing such inconsistent results aesthetically. Some look so fake! One final q if I may? If 900 is going rate, is it reasonable to expect volume discount - i.e. if you need 8 veneers?
    Hey OP.

Don't get too worried about the brand of Veneer- this is mere marketing by the labs that make them and then re marketed to the patient by the dentist who are certified providers...! eg durathin, lumineers, ultrathin&whiteveneers (I made that one up). Put it this way, I do oral surgery but work with a prosthodontist who does veneers all the time and I've never heard of him talking about Durathin...! and he uses the best of everything....

The skill of doing veneers correctly is first patient selection (not everyone is suitable), ideal tooth preparation and accurate impressions, an excellent ceramic lab (my colleague who specializes in this area uses none of these branded labs, probably pays more for his lab work than these branded labs but gets far superior veneers made) and an amazingly strict cementation routine....

Depends on the degree of overlap, veneers should bond to enamel not the underlying dentine. If very crooked or overlapped- the teeth will need to be drilled a lot to align them with veneers- then the dentine will be exposed and then the bond will not be as good, crowns may be a better and more predictable option but hard to tell over the broadband.....;)

Good luck OS

Thank you so much for such a prompt and comprehensive reply. The brand issue you explain makes a lot of sense. I had heard that Durathin did not necessitate damaging/filing own teeth which appealed. I am a bit bewildered trawling through 'smile galleries'/case study sections on various dentist sites and seeing such inconsistent results aesthetically. Some look so fake! One final q if I may? If 900 is going rate, is it reasonable to expect volume discount - i.e. if you need 8 veneers?
    Hey OP.

Good luck OS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Emmaline wrote: »

You bet some look fake- toilet bowl white, not good.

I have yet to see someone who "needs" 8 veneers- there are usually better and cheaper ways of getting you where you want to be but to answer your question; it is most definitely reasonable to get such a volume discount....

OS

Thanks a mill OS! Sounds like I need a consultation as I'm making a lot of assumptions so if anyone can recommend a provider even by pm, would appreciate it. I dont mind paying for consult. Just dont want to drop a hundred quid to get an automatic 'we can't help you. You have an overlap...'
    Emmaline wrote: »

You bet some look fake- toilet bowl white, not good.

I have yet to see someone who "needs" 8 veneers- there are usually better and cheaper ways of getting you where you want to be but to answer your question; it is most definitely reasonable to get such a volume discount....

OS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Non prepared veneers are not suitable to correct overlapping teeth. The brands of veneers are a bit of a con really. Its a bit like a portrait painter telling you the painting will be good because of the type of paint, canvas or brushes. Its the art and skill of the people involved that will get results, the selections of materials is one part of this but only a small part.

Oral Surgeons advice is solid.

Thank you so much. So overlaps automatically require filing down? But too much filing means not enough enamel to adhere to and therefore a compromised result? Does that mean some kind of ortho work is optimum solution or are there alternatives? Really appreciate your taking time to reply.
    Non prepared veneers are not suitable to correct overlapping teeth. The brands of veneers are a bit of a con really. Its a bit like a portrait painter telling you the painting will be good because of the type of paint, canvas or brushes. Its the art and skill of the people involved that will get results, the selections of materials is one part of this but only a small part.

Oral Surgeons advice is solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Crowns are another option as they are not reliant on enamel bonding for retention. Usually treatment is a combination of veneers, crowns, orthodontics and bleaching. Your specific circumstances will decide which is best for you. My own thoughts are that you try to do as little restorations as possible to achieve the result you want.

Thank you very much!
    Crowns are another option as they are not reliant on enamel bonding for retention. Usually treatment is a combination of veneers, crowns, orthodontics and bleaching. Your specific circumstances will decide which is best for you. My own thoughts are that you try to do as little restorations as possible to achieve the result you want.

I get that price and value are not one and the same, but what to do? Just looked at an RoI site that inspires a lot of confidence quoting €900 for porcelain veneers. Then I see an NI site that looks pretty good and the price is £250. Does a PV for £250 automatically mean a substandard service?
    Also some providers refer to dental technicians as making the veneers; others to ceramacists. Is there a difference? Thank you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement