Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dad's Hamilton and Elgin National Watch Company pocket watches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

The model number is 4055490 which means it's a 1940 according to this page:

http://www.antique-pocket-watch.com/hamilton-pocket-watch-serial.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's a bit pricey for one of those TBH. 800euro is the more usual figure and you can get them below that around 600 euro if you're lucky. There are two on this page http://finertimes.com/asp/watches/query.asp?Title=Military+Watches&TypeCode=9&Where=%28tblUsers.Active%3Dtrue%29+AND+%28tblInventory.Archive%3DFalse%29+AND+%28tblInventory.FTUse%3DTrue%29+AND+%28%28%28tblTransactions.Status%29+Is+Null+Or+%28tblTransactions.Status%29%3D%27Pending%27%29%29+AND+%28TypeCode%3D9%29&Page=2 And they're the rarer silver cased ones. Though there's not much of a premium with the silver. Maybe an extra 80-100 quid. Ones in their original metal transport boxes suspended with springs will add 200 euro to the price. An early serial number one will add 100(actual WW2 issue).

That all said that's a high price for a pocket watch as they're not nearly as popular or sought after as wristwatches(except in Italy). If there was an equivalent to your Hamilton in a wristwatch(there wasn't) it would be serious money. Many many 1000's. Still it's a watch that will keep appreciating. I'd predict double it's value in 10 years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

There's a thread on Hamilton 4492B prices on MWR at the moment.
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44894

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Prices are spiking for military stuff at the moment. Not just mil stuff either. I've been gazumped on eprey recently on watches that wouldn't normally go for such high prices. Of my own small collection a couple of them gone up a third and some have nearly doubled in value in the last year.

The economy has much to do with it, but I've seen this before with particular models. If a model is scarce for a while then a couple creep onto the market the bidders, even if there's only two can get carried away. A couple of auctions like that and the price, especially the buy it now goes up accordingly. All it takes is a few more to come on the market and the prices tend to go more realistic. The vintage stuff is defo on the up though and has been for a while. Over the last decade they've tended to go up at least 10% a year IMHO. That's the average stuff. The real top end rises higher again.

Oh god the stuff I turned down in the 80's and 90's. EG any number of vintage Rolex's in stainless steel. Early submariners for 2-300 punts kinda thing. Thing is they just didn't appeal to me and TBH don't really to this day. Before the interweb that stuff really wasn't valued in Ireland. A mate of mine worked in antiques auctions house clearance kinda things in the early mid 80's and I saw boxes of mechanical watches of all makes go for bugger all. the gold ones went by weight. Type 2 IWC mil watch for 100 quid. Yea the still pains me, but I just didn't like it on my wrist believe it or not. IWC defo didn't have the cache of today IMHO. Then again I hadn't many shekels in the 80's so ho hum... :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement