Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking College in the US

Options
  • 21-08-2011 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

So what would i need to do to go to college in the US.

Are there scholarships or grants i could get?

Is it hard to get a visa?

And other help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

As an American student, the first thing that I will warn you about is the cost. It is a lot more expensive over here than really anywhere else in the world. For example, full tuition at the school I'm at (Carnegie Mellon University) is $43,000 a year. This does not include apartment rent, books, food, etc. A lot of financial aid/scholarships/grants in the US are only for US citizens, and the aid that is available for foreign students usually goes to students from developing/disadvantaged countries.

Is there any specific college or area that you'd like to go to? What would you want to major in? In some cases it might be worth it to come to the States, but in most, you'd probably be better off (AKA in less student debt) staying in Ireland and maybe doing a semester abroad in the US or doing summer programs here.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to clear a couple things up.

-Tyler

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

TAlderson wrote: »
    As an American student, the first thing that I will warn you about is the cost. It is a lot more expensive over here than really anywhere else in the world. For example, full tuition at the school I'm at (Carnegie Mellon University) is $43,000 a year. This does not include apartment rent, books, food, etc. A lot of financial aid/scholarships/grants in the US are only for US citizens, and the aid that is available for foreign students usually goes to students from developing/disadvantaged countries.

Is there any specific college or area that you'd like to go to? What would you want to major in? In some cases it might be worth it to come to the States, but in most, you'd probably be better off (AKA in less student debt) staying in Ireland and maybe doing a semester abroad in the US or doing summer programs here.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to clear a couple things up.

-Tyler

if you go on an exchange you pay your irish tuition fees, not the enormous fees in the US, so what youre saying doesnt apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I am also interested in studying in the US and because its part of the Erasmus programme I also will only have to pay the Irish fees.

First year arts student in NUI Maynooth, so a bit of a way to go yet.

Is it true what I've heard that you need to have like €20,000 in your bank before the US government to let you study there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

karaokeman wrote: »
    I am also interested in studying in the US and because its part of the Erasmus programme I also will only have to pay the Irish fees.

First year arts student in NUI Maynooth, so a bit of a way to go yet.

Is it true what I've heard that you need to have like €20,000 in your bank before the US government to let you study there?

I'm first year arts in Maynooth too! :D I think its 16,000 euro.

Advertisement