Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical audition help

Options
  • 20-08-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster :).
    Here's my problem. I'm going into TY and every year my school puts on a musical and I'm told that it's really fun and keeps you from getting bored, so I want to audition, but I can't sing, at all, so can anyone suggest some songs or some tricks that will make me sound decent?

p.s. I have a low-ish voice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭odonopenmic

Hi there,

Just as a matter of interest, have you thought about getting involved on the production side of things? i.e. props, backstage etc. It's a way to be involved without doing the musical side of things.

Though I think it takes a rare breed for someone to literally not be able to sing, if you were very sure of your limitations then this would be an alternative.

As for songs, not really sure but just pick one where the melody is not going to move around too much and also, let it be known that a good performance (acting the part, singing it with a bit of charisma) will go an awful long way.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

:D Which musical is it do you know? They sometimes like it if you sing a song from that musical to show you know what it is about and you have done research on it!!! But whatever feels comfortable!! There are some songs in which they dont require much singing ability but happy character and acting? If you're good at acting, check out

Master of the House - Les misérables! :D << I got this part in the Youth production this year but I dropped out.. :/

Or maybe something from Mamma Mia! Because, no offense to Pierce Brosnan, but he cannot sing brilliantly (he is pretty good though!) And he has a low enough voice (so maybe like SOS-Mamma mia! or something along those lines! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DEAD_LiNE

Hi!(sorry for the late reply, I went over my dl limit and it took a while to get the internet back. sorry again)

The musical is "Moby Dick-The Musical". I like the Master of the House, it's sort of like talk singing. I think I'll do something like this if I do audition.

And I had thought about doing backstage work but I don't know if I'll be able to get as involved as I want, but I'll be able to ask about the stage crew jobs and such at the meeting.

Thanks for your advice :)

Advertisement