Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best area for storing wine?

Options
  • 20-08-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

I've started buying wine for christmas just to try and take the pressure off. I'm buying one or two bottles a week of both red and white.

The problem is I've to hide them in my room as if I put them anywhere else they will be found and drunk. Just want to know the best places to keep them.

I know that the best place is somewhere cool and dark but don't have a suitable area in my room as the only dark place would be behind the boiler so there would be heat esp as the winter sets in. I have a cool spot I could use but it will get some indirect light.

So which would be worse/better "light and cool" or "dark and warm"
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I've started buying wine for christmas just to try and take the pressure off. I'm buying one or two bottles a week of both red and white.

The problem is I've to hide them in my room as if I put them anywhere else they will be found and drunk. Just want to know the best places to keep them.

I know that the best place is somewhere cool and dark but don't have a suitable area in my room as the only dark place would be behind the boiler so there would be heat esp as the winter sets in. I have a cool spot I could use but it will get some indirect light.

So which would be worse/better "light and cool" or "dark and warm"

The light problem can be easily solved by keeping them in a cardboard wine box (your local offlicence will give you one for the asking usually). Alternatively, throw a blanket on them.

If it's for Christmas, neither light nor heat will make much difference to them unless applied in extremes. It might make a difference over a few years, but not over a few months. If you think about it, most offlicences will display their wine in warm well lit shelves for long periods before sale and if this damaged the wine they wouldn't be able to sell it.

Alternatively you could tell your housemates/spouse/kids not to steal your wine and keep it in a moresuitable place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

If you think about it, most offlicences will display their wine in warm well lit shelves for long periods before sale and if this damaged the wine they wouldn't be able to sell it.

Proper wine shops won't. Apart from the fact that the wine doesn't stay out on display for too long when it does go out on the shelf the temperature is kept quite cool and wine should be stored away from from direct sunlight.
    lads to get rid of some!
    keeping the wine near a boiler would ruin it, go for a cool spot and as suggested ask for boxes, the shopkeeper will be only too glad to get rid of some! Do store the wine on it's side though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Thanks guys. I think I have a container I could use, never even thought of it. I'd love to keep them under the stairs but they wouldn't last, eed to keep them out of my line of sight as well as they may prove too tempting one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have drawers on my bed, and on a chest of drawers. I can take the drawers out completely and put things on the ground, then you can fit the drawer back in. It could be a good stash place, and is dark, I just use it for long term storage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Put them in a box and then staple/masking tape the crap out of the box so that it would be far too much effort for someone to open it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement