Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Morgan to captain the England ODI team v Ireland

Options
  • 20-08-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭

Just announced....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeah just heard it there during the test...nice honour for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Another first innings failure for Morgan in this test. Out for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭poncho000

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Another first innings failure for Morgan in this test. Out for one.

It seems a lot of his high scores have come with a lot of luck, i.e dropped catches. Even in the world cup the scores he made came with a number of let offs.

To be honest I don't see Morgan as a mainstay in this England team.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I dont really care about Morgan anymore but what bothers me is the squad England are going to field

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/528769.html
    quad Eoin Morgan (capt), Jonathan Bairstow, Ravi Bopara, Scott Borthwick, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Craig Kieswetter, Graham Onions, Samit Patel, Ben Stokes, James Taylor, Jonathan Trott, Chris Woakes

Its missing most of their top players which puts us in a terrible position imo, if we win we only beat a Lions squad, if we lose then it looks like we are obviously not good enough to play the full team :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭barrera

England's attitude to these games leaves an awful lot to be desired, and is in start contrast to the Australians last year.

Two years ago for the ODI in Belfast, it was whine-central from Collingwood et al in the lead up to it that the game was being played at all.

You would have thought after the World Cup they would have relished the idea of "putting us back in our box", but this half-squad approach is more of the same.

I don't think it puts us in any difficult position though - motivate the team that another victory can be achieved, ODI ranking points are all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Its missing most of their top players which puts us in a terrible position imo, if we win we only beat a Lions squad, if we lose then it looks like we are obviously not good enough to play the full team :mad:

I think this actually works the other way around - it says more about England than Ireland. If they lose, they only sent a Lions side. They're setting themselves up for another loss, and getting their excuses in early.

It's a kick in the teeth to all the people who bought tickets expecting to see a full English side.

Word on the street is that they're booked on a 7pm flight home. Might be worth a rain delay just to see them miss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Huge kick in the teeth for so many fans who have been looking forward to this since it was announced last year. I know myself, when I saw the squad, felt absolutely deflated at the squad coming over. It seems they have no interest in wanting to promote the game. A quick in and out and that's it, job done. Still looking forward to shooting the game, but always a question of what might have been....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

TrueDub wrote: »
    I think this actually works the other way around - it says more about England than Ireland. If they lose, they only sent a Lions side. They're setting themselves up for another loss, and getting their excuses in early.

I very much doubt that is the reason. I can't see confidence being very low when it comes to any fixture when you consider the form English players are in currently, regardless of the form of the game.

Anyway, I think it is a massively exciting England side with some real top quality players in the ranks. I certainly don't think that there would be an excuse for a loss in this one because these lads are the next generation.

Kieswetter, Taylor, Morgan, Patel etc are all very exciting. There is experience and class in the likes of Trott and Onions, and a real pace attack with the likes of Woakes and Finn. Its a different side, but it is by no means a weak side or a side sent to lose the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Its a different side, but it is by no means a weak side or a side sent to lose the game.

It's certainly a different side - different from their first-choice side, for example.

I didn't say they were sent to lose the game, I said they were positioning themselves for a loss, and seeking to limit the damage from that happening. It's an If, not a When.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

There are 8 one-day internationals in that England side, including three test players.

Just enjoy the game. Its not every day that a game like this comes to Dublin.

• Advertisement

JustinDee wrote: »
    Just enjoy the game. Its not every day that a game like this comes to Dublin.

Exactly - that's why we were hoping to see the full side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Morgan, Finn, Onions, Bopara, Trott, Patel, Kieswetter....Its not exactly a pushover of a side now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

As an 'Englishman in Clontarf', I was somewhat disappointed with the squad, very much looking forward to seeing KP, Broady, Swanny & Cooky.

But fully understand why the selectors have done this, opportunities are few and far between to a) rest players & b) blood the upcoming once, I don't think you'll see any of the debutants in the series against India unfortunately. I think the Lions programme works well but the selectors need to take a punt and gradually start to bring these players into the meaningful ODI series (no disrepsect to Ireland of course but this is a one-off match).

Not too concerned about the result on Thursday, simply hoping for a rain-free day, plenty of runs and a close game...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,024 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lads whats the crack about tickets? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Match is sold out. Can't see any of the "anyone buyin' or sellin' a tickeh" brigade outside the ground but you never know.

Mongarra wrote: »
    Match is sold out. Can't see any of the "anyone buyin' or sellin' a tickeh" brigade outside the ground but you never know.

They were there last year.

TrueDub wrote: »

Word on the street is that they're booked on a 7pm flight home. Might be worth a rain delay just to see them miss that.

Weather doesnt look too good for Thursday at this stage, its a bit far out to say for definite but plenty of rain forecast for evening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

<snip>

Ticket sales not allowed here, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

stuf wrote: »
    <snip>

Ticket sales not allowed here, sorry.

www.toutless.com is another option, think there were people looking for them on that site

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

So it looks like the weather will be nice in the morning but showers becoming widespread later, some heavy and thundery, so it looks like we won't get much of a game at all?...

• Advertisement

I was looking at the detailed forecast, some light rain before 12, getting worse in the afternoon, windy too.

38-2, game reduced to 42 overs already.

Advertisement