Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie questions motorised sat setup for football

Options
  • 20-08-2011 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I recently bought a dreambox dm 500s, I want to get a motorised dish setup, if thats the best option?

I'm loacated in west mayo, what size of dish should I get?

I want to receive premier league games, What is the minimum dish size required, and what size would you guys say a reccomended set up is?

I heard tring has lots of games, but poor picture quality. How poor is the quality? screen shots? what size dish would I need for tring?

Can anyone else recommend any other subscription cards, and what size dish I would need for them?

I found a dish called andrew 1.5m dish for €99, what other equipment do I need with this, what kind of lnb, motor etc.?

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

The dish you mention (really a 1.2m dish) would be spot on for Tring, but difficult to motorise.
    A Triax TD110 would be more flexible, maybe as a multi-feed dish rather than motorised, as this will be easier to set up and cover enough satellites for football ie 13e, 16e, 19.2e, 28.2e (for freesat etc), and later 9e (with a Ka lnb) for Saorsat if you can't receive Saorview.
    Coupled with a Dreambox or Technomate TM600 or TM5402 you will have a good starting point. You need to do some research though.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Thanks for the reply

what is a multi feed? is that setting up multiple dishes? as I can't really afford that.

I have a sky mini dish already set up. I may get rid of sky subscription and keep the dish in place. Could I use the sky minidish to pick up anything if I got rid off the subscription?

Would that 1.1m triax pick up tring here in the west? Would it be more suitable for motorising?

Also what lnb shold I get? Theres so many, single, twin, quatro. I dont understand them and I dont know which one to get. Id like to find a good cheap motor aswell

A multifeed is one dish and an lnb bracket that carries several lnbs each aimed at a different satellite. Then each lnb feeds into a switch and one cable goes into the house to the receiver, and you decide which satellite you want. Much quicker than a motor and no moving parts to break down.
    This will suffice for most people as most only use a few satellites so really don't need a motor as they are usually 13e, 16e, 19.2e and 28.2e, and they are not difficult to get on a TD110 dish.
    Take some time to read this thread, it has all the info you will need

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056197308

Okay, so I need to buy about 4 lnb's, what ones would you advise going for?

Inverto black premium or black ultra depending on budget. Also a four way diseqc switch

• Advertisement

Would I get a good reception on all 5 of the satellites?

the lnb's are 19 each so it would cost around €200 for everything.

do you think this is the best option for price/reception quality/installation difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭garrycann78

i have a motorised set up in north mayo. 90cm on a technomate motor. i get 30w,0.8,4.8e,7e,9e,13e,16e(bad weather affects signal)19.2e,26e,28.2e.i've only had to reset it once after bad weather. i think motorised is better than the multi lnb as you have much more options.plus if you dont want multiple cables to deal with than stick with the motor.

Only one cable into the house with multi feed. Only bundle of cables is at the dish to the switch.
    Motorised is more flexible, but as I said earlier, most of the football is on just a few satellites close together, so no need to motorise, and no moving parts to break, and very much faster channel switching between satellites. Plus if you use twin or quads you can be watching different satellites in different rooms in the home. Not possible with motorised dishes. It depends on which satellites you want I suppose.
    I wouldn't say either was superior, depends on needs.
    Picture quality will be identical either way.
    You decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭banie01

excollier wrote: »
    Only one cable into the house with multi feed. Only bundle of cables is at the dish to the switch.
    Motorised is more flexible, but as I said earlier, most of the football is on just a few satellites close together, so no need to motorise, and no moving parts to break, and very much faster channel switching between satellites. Plus if you use twin or quads you can be watching different satellites in different rooms in the home. Not possible with motorised dishes. It depends on which satellites you want I suppose.
    I wouldn't say either was superior, depends on needs.
    Picture quality will be identical either way.
    You decide.

+1 on what excollier has said here.

Yes with motorized setup you have access to a broad range of sats, but it does restrict you in sofar as pvr and Multiroom setup goes in that you can only watch/record what the dish is pointed to.
    Whereas a multilnb setup allows not only full pvr capability across multiple sats but also allows easy distribution of sats to other boxes, for multiroom viewing.
    As for cabling, if you use 4 lnbs as an example, it would be 4 1.5mtr lengths from the lnbs to the disecq switch mounted behind the dish, then 1 cable from the switch to your receiver(obviously a twin tuned box would require duo lnbs and a 2nd switch but would basically be set up the same)
    As all the football is carried in a fairly narrow range, its a great option to use multilnb and it eliminates the need for realignment of the motor and waiting on the dish to move when switching sats.

As a quick example on my dish, I have 6lnbs setup to receive 8 different sats along with full pvr capability on multiple satellites along with multiroom in 2 extra rooms from the quad lnb @ 28.2.

Thanks for the replies

One of the reasons I would consider a motorised dish is I could check for matches on a freeview channel here: http://liveonsat.com/LJ_foot_b_epl_only.php
    Then pick them up on the motorised dish. That would be handy.

Yeah, I agree, the multifeed seems the most sensible option to go with though. I think 4 lnb's would cover erverything.

Here are the satellites I need:

28E
    - sky uk
    19E
    - Canal +
    - Sky Germany
    16E
    - Tring
    - Digitalb
    13E
    - Sky Italy
    - Cyfra +
    - Nova
    - Al jazeera
    - Polsat

Any other satellites or channels that I should consider??? Let me know

I've been doing a bit of research and apparently I would get away with an 80cm dish for these satellites. Do you think it would be better to get a bigger one just to be on the safe side. maybe I should get the 110cm triax just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I suggest you go for the 110cm, as 16E is very weak. 80cm won't cut it.

Also, slightly more room for multi LNB with the 110cm, for that tight LNB cluster of 13, 16 and 19E.

byte wrote: »
    I suggest you go for the 110cm, as 16E is very weak. 80cm won't cut it.

Also, slightly more room for multi LNB with the 110cm, for that tight LNB cluster of 13, 16 and 19E.

+1 agree 100% with Byte, If 16e is definitely required for you a 1mtr + dish is essential, and it will allow easier setup of the 3 lnbs @ 13,16 and 19 which even on a 90cm dish is exceptionally tight.
    Also if you are setting up 13,16,19.2.... I'd recommend you buy some ALPS slim LNBs for those positions as it will allow much easier setup without worrying about modifying LNB holders ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

banie01 wrote: »
    +1 agree 100% with Byte, If 16e is definitely required for you a 1mtr + dish is essential, and it will allow easier setup of the 3 lnbs @ 13,16 and 19 which even on a 90cm dish is exceptionally tight.
    Also if you are setting up 13,16,19.2.... I'd recommend you buy some ALPS slim LNBs for those positions as it will allow much easier setup without worrying about modifying LNB holders ;)
    Not essential IMO
    I have a triax TD88 (88cm)
    Only very bad rain causes the signal to fade on 16e
    I have a motorized dish and fixed dish(astra2) both with quad lnbs, and 3 receivers.
    This gives me a motorised setup on my main TV.
    The other two receivers have diseqc switchs to both dishes.
    This gives all tvs access to all sats, amd if Im watch the footie on the main TV the wife can watch astra2 on the other TV.
    Just another option.

kkontour wrote: »
    Not essential IMO
    I have a triax TD88 (88cm)
    Only very bad rain causes the signal to fade on 16e
    I have a motorized dish and fixed dish(astra2) both with quad lnbs, and 3 receivers.
    This gives me a motorised setup on my main TV.
    The other two receivers have diseqc switchs to both dishes.
    This gives all tvs access to all sats, amd if Im watch the footie on the main TV the wife can watch astra2 on the other TV.
    Just another option.

In the OPs location, yes! It is essential(IMO at least ;) )!
    I too have a TD88 set up with 16e as prime focus in the Limerick area and 16e is only coming in at @54% SNR (And thats with set up using a pro meter and thats as strong as it will come in)and any rain at all causes significant break up.
    I'm quite suprised you are not having more issues with rain fade in Sligo, Well done on your set up ;)
    While 16e can be got strong and reliable in the Southeast on TD88 and similar.
    The further north and west you go, the more dish you need and the OP is in Mayo IMO he'll need the 1 mtr plus to give a margin for rain.
    Granted people are hoping for a stronger footprint when the new satellite slots in at 16e soon, but as it stands if you are west of Athlone for reliable reception with good rain margin a 1mtr + dish is the consensus at the moment

Grand, I'll go for the triax 110cm so.

Thanks for the help

I have to buy lnb holders aswell I suppose?

I dont know if i'll put it on a wall or on the ground, there is no gable facing east on the house.

The sky dish is mounted on the chimney, but this dish would be too big for a chimney

Advertisement