Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does UCC wait for your grant authority to pay them the €2000 student fee?

Options
  • 19-08-2011 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I'm due to start at UCC as a mature student next month. Made my grant application today and told I'd get a postcard next week just saying I had applied. But what happens if the grant hasn't been awarded yet when you start at college? Will UCC allow you to register without paying the €2000? This will be covered by my grant authroty (Co.Cork HEG) The HEG section told me when I popped in my application today that that was between UCC and the student. All well and good but will UCC wait or will they not allow you to register even though you have a confirmation letter (postcard) from your local grants body?

My wife attends CIT and she has been told that they wait, they have a form the student fills in saying whatever and that's that, the student even if the grant hasn't been awarded yet doesn't need to pay. Do UCC operate a similar system? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've briefly read this, So I might have got the wrong end of the stick.

But as long as you pay the €250 (this could be different) fee UCC are perfectly happy to wait for the county council to pay the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I've briefly read this, So I might have got the wrong end of the stick.

But as long as you pay the €250 (this could be different) fee UCC are perfectly happy to wait for the county council to pay the rest.

€250? I thought the Mardyke fee or whatever it's called was €150. But anyway, yeah, I'll have to pay thaat - everyone does. It's the capitation fee or student services fee or whatever it's called of €2000 that I am wondering about. Guess they'll wait for the HEG to pay them. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

marti8 wrote: »
    €250? I thought the Mardyke fee or whatever it's called was €150. But anyway, yeah, I'll have to pay thaat - everyone does. It's the capitation fee or student services fee or whatever it's called of €2000 that I am wondering about. Guess they'll wait for the HEG to pay them. Thanks anyway.

Sorry that's it! I couldn't remember off the top of my head, and then also couldn't remember the wording for it to google it! :pac:

In first year I paid the fees and the county council repaid me( they're my grant awarding authority) the next year I didn't and nothing was said. Though you're receiving finance from a different authority I think it'll be the same.

If you've any concerns fire off an email to welfare@uccsu.ie they'll be able to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Sorry that's it! I couldn't remember off the top of my head, and then also couldn't remember the wording for it to google it! :pac:

In first year I paid the fees and the county council repaid me( they're my grant awarding authority) the next year I didn't and nothing was said. Though you're receiving finance from a different authority I think it'll be the same.

If you've any concerns fire off an email to welfare@uccsu.ie they'll be able to help!

Thanks. I'll be getting a grant from Cork County Council, will also have the €2000 covered by them. Not in a position to pay €2000 in advance and wait to be repaid by Cork CoCo so hopefully UCC have the same procedure as CIT in such circumstances and will wait for the €2000 to be paid to them.

Advertisement