Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favorite animation studio?

Options
  • 19-08-2011 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Well there's about a million recommendation or favorite anime threads so how about something different :)

My personal favorite would be Shaft, especially when Akiyuki Shinbo is the director. Sure a lot of their stuff is abstract comedies but when it comes to really big shows they pull out all the stops, with Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika and Bakemonogatari having some of the best animation I've ever seen. I really like the way they remaster and change stuff for their bluray releases as well to ensure people buy it get the best possible experience.

Aside from cutout animation and odd camera angles I love the effort they put into Opening and endings. I usually skip openings after the first few times but when they're nice I always watch. Here's a few of my faves.

So how about the rest of you? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Gainax. :) Not just because they do Neon Genesis Evangelion but all the shows I really like such as Gunbuster, Diebuster and Gurran Langan are all from Gainax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

KyoAni! :D Or Kyoto Animation for those in the know, makers of da best anime ever: Lucky Star, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, K-ON!, Clannad, Air, Full Metal Panic!... much love.

2nd would be a tie between Shaft and Sunrise me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Konata wrote: »
    KyoAni! :D Or Kyoto Animation for those in the know, makers of da best anime ever: Lucky Star, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, K-ON!, Clannad, Air, Full Metal Panic!... much love.

2nd would be a tie between Shaft and Sunrise me thinks.

I thought Full Metal Panic! was Gonzo? I wuv the animation in Haruhi. I love Sunrise too, the quality is usually great, but not a big fan of their character designs (more recent gundam stuff, the men just look so weird!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

JC staff have my favorite style of art and animation. But in terms of how much I enjoy shows I think shaft might be one of my favorite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thomas-G wrote: »
    I thought Full Metal Panic! was Gonzo? I wuv the animation in Haruhi. I love Sunrise too, the quality is usually great, but not a big fan of their character designs (more recent gundam stuff, the men just look so weird!)

Sorry, shoulda specified. The first series is Gonzo but Fumoffu! and The Second Raid are KyoAni produced I believe!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Madhouse and Sunrise would be up there with my top. Can't think of any average or below show from both, especially Sunrise. Quality stuff all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Madhouse and Sunrise would be up there with my top. Can't think of any average or below show from both, especially Sunrise. Quality stuff all round.

*cough* Gundam *cough* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Quinntan

Gotta be Gainax for me, can't say I've watched a show of theirs I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ForgottenCandy

I liked all the anime that came out from Gonzo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 donaldbracy

Viz Media is my fav :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Gainax. Shaft do the best op's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

gainax or SHAFT are miles ahead of all the other studios, I personally think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GOD TIER:
    Studio Ghibli

HIGH TIER:
    Shaft (Akiyuki Shinbo)
    Madhouse (Satoshi Kon, RIP)
    Gainax
    Studio 4°C
    ufotable
    Sunrise (in the 90s: Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Big O)

MID TIER:
    Kyoto Animation (good: animation, costumes; bad: Endless Eight)
    Bones (good animation, terrible stories)
    Madhouse (without Satoshi Kon)
    Sunrise (Gundam...)
    JC Staff (can do cute; can NOT write good endings/storylines)

LOW TIER:
    Sunrise (Gundam Seed......)
    Square Enix
    Studio Deen

As for manga, the list is:
    GOD TIER:
    Osamu Tezuka

Other Tier:
    Everyone else. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tbfrance11

I'd go for Kyoto Animation, Full Metal Panic is my FAVORITE :)

Advertisement