Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 03 320d e46 Rear left scraping sound

Options
  • 19-08-2011 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello all, wondering if someone can help me.

Over the past 6-8 weeks my 320 has been making a scraping sound from the rear left. Having brought it to my mechanic on numerous occasions, the problem still persists. I have researched the problem on google and the results point to:
    1- Brake shoes- took apart and put back together. perfect working order.
    2-Stone in dust gard- no.
    3-Dust gard rubbing off discs- no!
    4-Brake pads and discs perfect.

The noise occurs after a journey of 10miles +... it sounds like metal on metal, just like worn brake pads. It gets worse upon turning to the right (When there is pressure on the left rear). It can be clearly heard when slowing down at 20-10 mph.

I would appreciate any help as i am at my wits end! so please if anybody has experienced this please give me some info as to how to get rid of it!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I had the same trouble, still can't figure it out

171302.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Shanebmw320d

its very annoying. especially when driving in town. have you tried anything to allievate the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

its very annoying. especially when driving in town. have you tried anything to allievate the problem?

Nothing works and it actually gets worse when I reverse, so I'm thinking that it's the transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Wheel bearing perhaps?

have you tried changing diff oil? bearing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Is it rotational?

Hardly a broken coil on a rear spring?

com1 wrote: »
    Wheel bearing perhaps?[/QUOTE

@Com1 have you experienced this problem before? wheel bearings could be expensive

@Ciarsd... No the springs are new. the mechanic looked at the entire area, springs, shocks, hub, everything. cannot figure it out... looks like it could be bearing but i wana make sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Is there any play in the wheel, when its jacked up does it move a bit from side to side?

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    Is there any play in the wheel, when its jacked up does it move a bit from side to side?

No Play at all.... the sound is rotational, it varies with the speed. no noise can be heard when jacked up and spun. could be temperature related?

• Advertisement

Does it go away with foot on the clutch?

Does it go away with foot on the clutch?

Nope... the clutch doesnt make a bit of difference. clutch engaged or disengaged the noise is still there...

A bearing would make a knocking noise hitting bumps and there'd be some play in it. They are usually the left side wheels where youd get the problem as most potholes etc are on driverside of road.

A bearing would make a knocking noise hitting bumps and there'd be some play in it. They are usually the left side wheels where youd get the problem as most potholes etc are on driverside of road.

theres no knocking noise from what im aware of... i drive 50miles fro work each day and theres no knocking noise to be heard of, even going over bumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Ask your mechanic to stick it up in the air on a lift and get someone to 'drive' it while he has a look around. I wonder is it in the diff or even a wheel bearing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Bearings can make all kinds of noise, but rarely start off with a knocking noise.
    Usually comes in as a whine or drone, that correlates to the speed of the vehicle and usually is worse when cornering to one side but not the other, i.e. when cornering left the noise increases and when cornering right, it decreases.
    Knocking might come later, after the bearing is truly fubar'd and has a lot of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Christ0pher

My car does this too. A sort of metallic rubbing noise. Except mine is not always audible - and seems to stop when braking. Also I noticed it doesn't happen in the rain - on wet roads. So in my case I suspect a drum or brake pad rubbing. Does yours stop making noise when you brake?

My car does this too. A sort of metallic rubbing noise. Except mine is not always audible - and seems to stop when braking. Also I noticed it doesn't happen in the rain - on wet roads. So in my case I suspect a drum or brake pad rubbing. Does yours stop making noise when you brake?

Yes, it is intermittent. Sometimes it cant be heard other times it can. It can get very loud and embarrassing to drive the car. sounds like worn break pads at its worst. it stops when i accelerate and also yes when i break. my mechanic now suspects wheel bearing and am currently pricing one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yes, it is intermittent. Sometimes it cant be heard other times it can. It can get very loud and embarrassing to drive the car. sounds like worn break pads at its worst. it stops when i accelerate and also yes when i break. my mechanic now suspects wheel bearing and am currently pricing one!

Id almost bank on it being a bearing. They are the weirdest thing in my experience. I bought a 3 series with shot bearings a couple of years ago. They made the trademark drone/whine, especially when cornering. Saving the pennies, I stuck a set of spurious bearings in it. Got away with it for awhile, untill one of them starting doing pretty much what your describing here. I couldnt get to the bottom of it, and didnt think it was the bearing as there was no play and it had only done 7000 miles, but I decided to bite the bullet and get a BMW bearing for it. Problem solved and have never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

com1 wrote: »
    Wheel bearing perhaps?[/QUOTE

@Com1 have you experienced this problem before? wheel bearings could be expensive

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had that problem too with an E46 bearing gone back left (120K mile on the clock). I let the bearing go for too long and it ended up fusing onto the drive shaft (pain in the h***) ended up getting a whole new assembly from a scrappy and the mechanic fitted it for me. I should have got him to put a new bearing into it though as that one went too though I traded the car in before i had to change it again.

Not too expensive at the time (about 5 years ago) all in about E200.

• Advertisement
Advertisement