Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning as a leader

Options
  • 19-08-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey guys, 25 now, came up from beavers through to Venturers, but haven't been involved for many years now, 6 maybe.

I know I have to be vetted and there is some training involved, my question is regards the training, I am tight for time at the moment, moving house, getting married, job etc etc, I'm sure you understand, so really I am wondering about the courses, how long are they, I think I saw some are overnight, or sometimes over 2 nights like some of the ones in Mellary. Is there any standard here or is it down to each region/unit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭conorod

To work as a leader, all you need to do is get your Garda vetting, references, etc. and do the first 2 training courses. The first course (Stage 1 of 6) is an introduction to scouting - this course is done in an evening, taking 2.5 hours in total. The second is Child Protection - this takes around 5 hours.

The rest of the courses are working towards a qualification called the Woodbadge. There is really no time pressure to get them done, the Woodbadge qualification is not needed to register as a leader. Specifically, the stages are:

Stage 3 - 7 hours - Foundations in Scouting
    Stage 4 - 7.5 hours - Practical Skills in Scouting
    Stage 5 - 7 hours - Event Planning & Creativity
    Stage 6 - 15 hours - Personal Development

To answer your question about the standard: yes, there is a national standard. The programme has changed in the last year, and included in the new programme (called the ONE programme) is a national standard for Woodbadge training.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Adventsparky

Perfect, that's all the information I was looking for. Thanks a lot :)

Advertisement