Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Garda leaking info about ongoing investigations into alleged illegal activity?

Options
  • 19-08-2011 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Im wondering about this current situation Ive come across, maybe its a common occurance in rural ireland I'm not sure, After reading this comment on Indymedia today:
    I can clarify that Mr. McDowell, as Minister for Justice Equality and Law Reform did bring in legislation that clearly prevents Gardai from talking outside the remit of the case, either with the media or outsiders. For a member of An Garda Siochana to discuss a particular case say with a journalist or even a family member not involved in a case, constitutes a criminal offence. The Garda faces a charge and a maximum sentence up to five years.

People need to be aware of their rights.

it made me think of a recent conversation I had with a friend this week, he told me how he had heard that a local prominent garda had told a friend of his about an ongoing investigation involving months of surveillance on many individuals in the local area, mentioning four local townslands in particular and saying it was all going to come to a head this week coming with many house searches, etc. I didnt really think that much of it until I heard today that there were a few cars and a house searched in the locality yesterday afternoon. It makes me wonder how the gardai hope to have any success when they have the whole operation leaked before it even properly starts! Its the talk of the town so obviously if anyone had anything to hide, for example: no car insurance, they would have run for hills days ago and parked up their car. So if gardai are not even suposed to talk about previous cases with up to a 5 year jail sentence threatened I wonder what the sentence is for talking about ongoing cases?! I wonder how much money, manpower etc has been wasted in this completely futile exercise, is it even worth reporting to local gardai that the have a leak in thier midst? probably not as it would only cause more trouble than good and I cant really mention names for obvious reasons without causing major problems for local gardai and maybe even myself, etc..., whos even going to believe/admit it unless loads of places are searched in next day or two?

Anyway, for the record, if any of this gardai activity makes the newspapers over next few days/weeks I want it down in writing that I had the info here first posted on boards.ie before it had even happened! :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

It is nice of you to join up to boards.ie just to discuss this subject.

Gardai come from the communities of Ireland, from every town and city.

Gaa players, college graduates, former teachers and nurses, bar workers, voluntary emergency services and in some cases high ranking medical professionals.

If you know of definite instances of Gardai leaking information to any of the friends of the above or to members of any communities please contact the Garda Ombudsman and register your complaint.

Thank You.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement