Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Lives programme not very fair?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

They're trying to help out kids from disadvantaged areas.Give them a break will ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

If they are so serious about the youth of Limercik all youths and areas should be involved so kids would mix,that is like saying ye are differnet

Im sick of hearing all these disadvantaged areas they get great funding,schemes,facilties etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

You should move to Moyross or Southill BigPink.

No doubt the areas have problems but if its scheme is for young people should it not do all cover all areas of the city and get kids mixing

Sorry i didnt mean to offend,just considering 2 very shady people that have been in the media for this campaign and them sounding like angels,they made to sound like it was for the youth of Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 jakelamotta

bigpink wrote: »
    Sorry i didnt mean to offend,just considering 2 very shady people that have been in the media for this campaign and them sounding like angels,they made to sound like it was for the youth of Limerick

Lot of kids down there the last few days, Arsenal scout there too apparently. Could be a great opportunity for a young person. No way in hell I'd let my daughter near the place with those 2 involved, what if anything happened? Limerick fc are involved too, bit of a joke them getting involved with two dodgy characters, and their meant to be cleanin up their act?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

padma wrote: »
    You should move to Moyross or Southill BigPink.

In fairness they are overrun with funding, green areas, facilities, etc. - the people are the problem, not the lack of facilities.

I have two nephews, one growing up in Moyross who has basketball/soccer courts, green areas everywhere, youth clubs, organised events and regeneration clubs.

The kid in Raheen has none of the above at his desposal, the only green area being a small square, which usually has people already playing on it so himself and his friends have to stay in the back garden or play on the street (its a reletively quiet street). And no community groups staging concerts or outdoor youth events.

I agree that poor areas should have these kind of facilities to keep good kids from mixing with trouble, but it really highlights how ignored the other suburbs are (many of which have a new influx of troublemakers from Regeneration areas to corrupt the local kids).

Sorry for sounding pessimestic, I'm just getting fed up with the notion that Moyross has nothing for the kids - when in reality its a kids paradise (where it not for d elements)!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

In fairness they are overrun with funding, green areas, facilities, etc. - the people are the problem, not the lack of facilities.

I have two nephews, one growing up in Moyross who has basketball/soccer courts, green areas everywhere, youth clubs, organised events and regeneration clubs.

The kid in Raheen has none of the above at his desposal, the only green area being a small square, which usually has people already playing on it so himself and his friends have to stay in the back garden or play on the street (its a reletively quiet street). And no community groups staging concerts or outdoor youth events.

I agree that poor areas should have these kind of facilities to keep good kids from mixing with trouble, but it really highlights how ignored the other suburbs are (many of which have a new influx of troublemakers from Regeneration areas to corrupt the local kids).

Sorry for sounding pessimestic, I'm just getting fed up with the notion that Moyross has nothing for the kids - when in reality its a kids paradise (where it not for d elements)!

Woyuld agree with most of this post. Have no problem with kids from Moyross, Weston, Southill etc having something like this or the many other things that get organised for them.

But there are plenty of kids in other areas who would love something like this and who would love some of the other things the kids in the above areas get done for them.

There are a hell or a lot of areas in the suburbs and city where children have no facilities at all, not even proper green areas to kick a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

bigpink wrote: »

Lot of kids down there the last few days, Arsenal scout there too apparently. Could be a great opportunity for a young person. No way in hell I'd let my daughter near the place with those 2 involved, what if anything happened? Limerick fc are involved too, bit of a joke them getting involved with two dodgy characters, and their meant to be cleanin up their act?

Don't have facebook... But who would be the two you mention? Or give us a clue

Google Sunday World Changing Lives Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Kess73 wrote: »
    Woyuld agree with most of this post. Have no problem with kids from Moyross, Weston, Southill etc having something like this or the many other things that get organised for them.

But there are plenty of kids in other areas who would love something like this and who would love some of the other things the kids in the above areas get done for them.

There are a hell or a lot of areas in the suburbs and city where children have no facilities at all, not even proper green areas to kick a ball.

Fair dues but the kids in the other areas have back gardens to play in which most of the disadvantaged area dont due to poor house design. Also most kids (if I had any I know I wouldnt let mine) would not be allowed play on the street as you have the threat of robbed cars, general scumbaggary out there.

While throwing money at facilities is not the cure to the problem it does help the genuine families living in these areas to give their children a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

john_cappa wrote: »
    Fair dues but the kids in the other areas have back gardens to play in which most of the disadvantaged area dont due to poor house design. Also most kids (if I had any I know I wouldnt let mine) would not be allowed play on the street as you have the threat of robbed cars, general scumbaggary out there.

While throwing money at facilities is not the cure to the problem it does help the genuine families living in these areas to give their children a chance.

This is happening in a big way in estates all over Limerick (all over the country really but this convo is about Limerick I guess) so it is hardly a problem unique to Weston, Moyross etc.

As for saying kids in other areas can just play out their back gardens, I guarantee if a comment like that, and I am not having a go at you in any way here, was said in relation to kids in Weston or wherever that people would be up in arms saying it was unfair to expect their kids to play in a back garden and unfair for them not to have facilities.

If you want to see general scumbag behaviour at work, then there are plenty to see in Raheen for example. There have been plenty of incidents on the Father Russell road side (including a Polish man being set on fire a couple of years back). There are plenty of families in those areas who are worried about how their kids will turn out thanks to a growing scumbag element and plenty of parents who worry about their kid's safety thanks to that element.

Would make far more sense to have some kind of events that kids from all over the city can attend, rather than having a them and us set up with events. Would prefer to see kids from different areas mixing at these events and maybe seeing a few misconceptions that people might have about each other put to rest. Plus constantly having facilities, events etc for certain areas over others leads, imho, to a sense of entitlement and bullsh1t comments like "It's my right to have X and Y".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I loath to use this but FML!

Vanolder wrote: »

I loath to use this but FML!

FML about sums it up, hope Limerick come to their senses

Advertisement