Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got advice on my Mesa predicament

Options
  • 18-08-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey all,
    have bit the bullet and decided im gonna splash on a Mesa Boogie head, currently using an AVT150h with a 1922 2x12 cab. Dont get me wrong theres not too much wrong with the Marshall but you really dont seem to get the bang from the solitary preamp tube that you would from a full tube head, gain is nice and tight but you get very little differance in volume when you pass nine o clock. Nothing much changes when its been run through a Marshall 4x12 either. Cant really complain as I was sold this stack at a nominal price. So anyway, the Mesa, had a fascination since my days of borrowing a friend's father's Mk II combo, the gain:eek:, clarity:rolleyes:, headroom:D, basically s#*t all over anything ive ever played since:p. Problem is, everytime i do any research on rectifier heads, you get the usual 'buy an engl' or 'dont buy a Triple' or 'dont buy the new 3 channel Dual' without really saying why!, which kinda throws you off even bothering to ask these people. Dont have the funds to go the wholw hog and buy the Road King or MK-V unless i came across a steal on auction site, so if any one can give any solid advice on what head they,d recommend i would be in exxtremmmeee appreciation. sound im after would be something similar to this as this is what my band plays
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_61tE7aTwU
    i knows it hard to guage from this as its in Drop Bb on a set of 10-60s but just a rough guide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

I have no first hand experience with this but from what I understand the 2 channel Dual Rec is supposed to feel a lot tighter than the 3 channel Dual Rec. Also, a lot of people seem to feel that the 150 watt power of the Triple Rec is too much as you'll never really be able to crank it.

Personally i'd shop around for a MKIV, I think Perfect Pitch had a second hand one going for something like €1,300 recently but it has been sold. It's also worth keeping your eye out for a Triaxis, they seem to be going fairly cheap (€600+) these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

xasumerian wrote: »
    So anyway, the Mesa, had a fascination since my days of borrowing a friend's father's Mk II combo, the gain, clarity, headroom, basically s#*t all over anything ive ever played since
    Problem is, everytime i do any research on rectifier heads,

A Rectifier sounds very different to a Mark-series amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

If I were you I really wouldnt rule out buying an orange head for that style of music rather than a Mesa. Tonally I think they are more broad, and at higher gains there is more clarity in the tone. I think Mastadon are using thunderverb's and Wes Borland is using Rockerverbs.

In our band one guitarist has a rockerverb 100, and the other has a rectoverb 50. Tonally the Orange eats the Mesa alive. We do play a different style of music, but its still quite gainy.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

A Rectifier sounds very different to a Mark-series amp.

+ 475619287364591836591784659436597836457864

Rectifier series sounds nothing like the Mark series that you fell in love with.
    You will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

i hate you guys sometimes.... listened to a few vids of mark iv's and now i'm trawling the net looking for a bargain!

Some day.... Some day!!!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

I've owned all of them. So I'll try and condense everything I've learned in as little space as possible. You won't get the Recto tone from a Mark series amp, but you also won't get a Mark tone from a Recto. The clean on a Mark amp is by far superior, but I prefer the Rectos modern gain sound. A Triaxis rig will do both the Mark tone and Recto tone, but won't do any of them anywhere near as good as the real thing. And having to couple it with a poweramp makes it more expensive.

In short, if its the Recto tone you're after, only a Rectifier will do. Nothing else. Having owned all the above, and other, Mesa Boogie amps, I can safely say they are diverse animals.

I have a 2 channel Rectifier up for trade at the minute, but if you get cash together we could do a deal, or you have anything decent to trade, I'd be glad to let you try it out and help you make up your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

What about the Blackstar series one range of amps great tone and would defo give the Mesa's a run for their money!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Have you ever looked at the Peavey Triple XXX?
    It's a serious amp for high gain metal but seems to be over looked by a lot of guys because it's not a 5150/6505.
    I threw this video up a few days ago for some who's interested in buying mine, I go through the channels so you can see what they're like.

Sounds a bit muffled because of the camera and there's a lot more low end in real life.
    Crap mic's and youtube really distort the truth.

I should add, these can be bought a lot cheaper than Mesa/Orange amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NwRepairman

Look at a Soldano too...
    Not the cheapest though ;(

Advertisement