Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike gloves

Options
  • 18-08-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I have bike leather gloves and i was wondering how do u clean inside them cause they smell inside from been used thanks ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Best way is to get a new pair...theyre "cheap as motorcycle gloves these days"...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

they are motorcycle gloves there only 4 months old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I've had this problem, but not after 4 months. Are you wearing winter gloves in the summer?
    Anyway, if they're synthetic with gortex, you can get stuff to wash them with in the washing machine in bikeworld and outdoor shops. Not sure what to do if they're leather.

just need to know how to clean them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can't really clean the inside of leather gloves. You're going to have to live with it or buy new ones.

It's one of the joys of biking that after a while all you're gear will end up stinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Kevin is a funny name for a girl :)

Enjoy the smell. Its one of the joys of motorcycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

get new gloves, and put some talc powder into them every second or third day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

kevin-46 wrote: »
    just need to know how to clean them

Are they just leather (racing style) or do they have a cloth liner. If they have a liner pull them inside out, dip into basin of water/ washing powder, squeeze out,in out a few times, get fresh water do the same and hang out to dry. stuff the liner back in.
    alternative, rip the old liner out, get a pair of thermal gloves (Millets) and stuff into the leather outer's.
    For long winter driving put a pair of latex gloves over the thermals and then into the leather.

cloth inside leather out side

cloth inside leather out side

Your choice on what I said, dig the fingers in and full them inside out or cut the cloth out, get the new cloth gloves and carry on.
    I used to put in long hours in all sorts of weather and had a pair of Frank T's aqua, but after an hour or two of rain they would get wet inside, water running down the sleeves. Got sick of trying to dry them over night so cut the insides out, seen what was there and went and bought 3 pairs of thermals €4 each and covered them with the Latex gloves, then into the leather FT outer's.
    End of day cloth gloves on the Rads, dry in the morning.
    Would change them for the dry ones during the day as needed.

• Advertisement

No1J wrote: »
    Are they just leather (racing style) or do they have a cloth liner. If they have a liner pull them inside out, dip into basin of water/ washing powder, squeeze out,in out a few times, get fresh water do the same and hang out to dry. stuff the liner back in.

It can be difficult to get the liners back into gloves properly. Any time the liners have came out of gloves there was always a pinch point or finger that wouldn't go back in. If you're doing this you need a 2nd pair of gloves, but since you really need 3 pairs of gloves if riding daily it's not an issue.
    alternative, rip the old liner out, get a pair of thermal gloves (Millets) and stuff into the leather outer's.
    For long winter driving put a pair of latex gloves over the thermals and then into the leather.

Does the latex gloves not make you fingers go like prunes? Agree with the liners, I've a pair of cotton gloves for use inside my summer gloves if it get cold.

Be aware that leather gloves don't like being force dried. Better off leaving them in the hot press above the tank, if the heating/immersion is on, or somewhere else warm but not in direct contact with a heat source.

Your choice on what I said, dig the fingers in and full them inside out or cut the cloth out, get the new cloth gloves and carry on.
    I used to put in long hours in all sorts of weather and had a pair of Frank T's aqua, but after an hour or two of rain they would get wet inside, water running down the sleeves. Got sick of trying to dry them over night so cut the insides out, seen what was there and went and bought 3 pairs of thermals €4 each and covered them with the Latex gloves, then into the leather FT outer's.

i did it but y Latex gloves ??

I used to put in long hours in all sorts of weather and had a pair of Frank T's aqua, but after an hour or two of rain they would get wet inside, water running down the sleeves.

You should put your gloves inside your jacket cuffs. They stay dry all day.

To keep the water out.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    You should put your gloves inside your jacket cuffs. They stay dry all day.

Depends on the bike, jacket, gloves and rain. Nothing stays dry all day in the rain, it just depends on how long it'll hold out, unless you're fully faired.

Dont all laugh...When i was courierieriering (?) i used to wear washing up gloves under my leather gloves...:o

Sids Not wrote: »
    Dont all laugh...When i was courierieriering (?) i used to wear washing up gloves under my leather gloves...:o

Couldn't get the washing up ones big enough but the latex stretched over the cloth and were thin enough to not feel too tight but after 10 hours a day the hands were always a bit fecked in winter.
    Did you do the cotton socks, wool socks, plastic bags then the boots trick as well.:D

Did you do the cotton socks, wool socks, plastic bags then the boots trick as well.:D

:D.....yeah..but with wellies instead of the bags....great days..:)

Del2005 wrote: »
    To keep the water out.

Depends on the bike, jacket, gloves and rain. Nothing stays dry all day in the rain, it just depends on how long it'll hold out, unless you're fully faired.

Was out only 2 weeks ago in Kerry, some of the heaviest rain I've ever driven in. Perfectly dry after it :D
    No fairing either!

Big screen and tank though.

Sids Not wrote: »
    :D.....yeah..but with wellies instead of the bags....great days..:)

I lived in the wellies as well during the winter but April - October the Sidi's came out and you could stick the company bags over the socks when it pissed. No amount of dubbin or water proof stuff on the boots kept the piggies dry.:) Yeah great days, great crack, great lads but some load of crap as well.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Was out only 2 weeks ago in Kerry, some of the heaviest rain I've ever driven in. Perfectly dry after it :D
    No fairing either!

The right jacket and the right gloves under normal circumstances agreed, but having to pull them on and off every 5 mins doing this gig, the velcro would not last a week, then out with the gaffer tape.
    On country runs I had the handlebar muffs , heated handlebars, the special No1J gloves and a pair of over mitts and if you do a Dublin to Cork return only stopping to fill the tank during winter months in 5 hours, when you got off the bike you felt like you had been standing on the Belgard road in your jocks for 5 hours on Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No fairing either!

Big difference between driving in the rain and "stop, start, gloves off, gloves on, off the bike, on the bike" sort of thing that couriers do.

Tuck the Gloves into the jacket, the water runs up the gloves into the jacket. Gloves over jacket, great. Until you stop and the water runs off your gear into your gloves. Jesus, I only really commute on my bike and I know all this. What the hell have you lads been up to?

Big difference between driving in the rain and "stop, start, gloves off, gloves on, off the bike, on the bike" sort of thing that couriers do.

Tuck the Gloves into the jacket, the water runs up the gloves into the jacket. Gloves over jacket, great. Until you stop and the water runs off your gear into your gloves. Jesus, I only really commute on my bike and I know all this. What the hell have you lads been up to?

I don't find anything runs up the glove. Even at motorway speeds. But the other way around and your jacket is tucked into the gloves, all you need is slightly slow speed, and all the water if funnelled from your arms straight into your glove. Even at higher speeds, you'll still get rain draining into the gloves.

But yeah, if you're a courier and the gloves are on and off all day you'll get wet.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It can be difficult to get the liners back into gloves properly. Any time the liners have came out of gloves there was always a pinch point or finger that wouldn't go back in. If you're doing this you need a 2nd pair of gloves, but since you really need 3 pairs of gloves if riding daily it's not an issue.

Does the latex gloves not make you fingers go like prunes? Agree with the liners, I've a pair of cotton gloves for use inside my summer gloves if it get cold.

Be aware that leather gloves don't like being force dried. Better off leaving them in the hot press above the tank, if the heating/immersion is on, or somewhere else warm but not in direct contact with a heat source.

All of your comments are correct, not very comfortable, prunes, yes a bit over long hours, and leather gloves like hands working in hard weather need looking after.

Yeah....different sort of rain alright..:rolleyes:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

if its just the odour thats a problem why not just soak some cotton wool with a few drops of aftershave or scented oil and place that in the glove? otherwise stick a tumbledryer sheet in them.

Advertisement