Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming + TV + Couch

Options
  • 18-08-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd spin this off from a discussion on the Skyrim thread. I'm thinking of hooking my PC up to my HDTV and I'm wondering do people do this and how do they cope with sitting on a couch/armchair and working the mouse and keyboard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I usually hook my laptop up to the tv using a DVI cable and 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable (DVI doesn't carry audio). If you have HDMI on the computer then you can use an HDMI cable which carries both (i believe).

As for using the kb/m while on a couch, it's obviously more awkward but once you get yourself a little table for the mouse to sit on it's all good! Then again, i haven't had a big gaming session on the laptop/tv combo.

If i win the lotto i'll be building a rig that will be constantly hooked to the tv. When that happens, i'll post my feelings then! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You could always hook up a wireless 360 pad. I'd imagine a mouse and keyboard to be awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

keyboard on lap and mouse on my Tech Drawing drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

What I have is a new-build PC and the graphics card is capable of HDMI so it's a handy hookup to the TV.

I don't think I'd be going to a 360 pad for most games bar driving/fighting games - I have one but the idea behind the PC is partly super-next-gen graphics but also being able to play first person shooters with a mouse and keyboard as I just can't work them on a pad.

I was thinking of some sort of dinner tray for the keyboard, the mouse is a bit trickier. Is there such a thing as a mouse and keyboard stand that is comfortable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I have my pc hooked up to my 42 inch, but I dont use the couch. I live alone in a tiny apartment, so I just threw a desk into the living room area and game properly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

you want to have your cake and eat it! i like it! ;)

you got hdmi gpu so its a good start, it will mean audio and video will be from telly. no need for separate speakers.

i would imagine a set of good wireless keyboard and mouse is a must.

you should look for a hard mouse mat. you could drop it near you, while having keyboard on your lap.

its all about finding a perfect possition.

i will be doing same with my current pc, when i biuld a new one. when i am not in the mood to sit in my game/office room i will be having fun on my couch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You could try this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

my laptop is hooked up to my tv via hdmi cable,I wish my gtx260 was hdmi
    compatible :'( though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I do most of my gaming, (PC and Console) from my bed, even though I have a sweet leather chair. TV in front of me or I spin my PC screen around to face me from my computer table. I put my keyboard across my lap and use a Laptop tray tray for the mouse. It works perfectly for me. One thing I have to do it put a pillow under my left elbow so that it's not always elevated. Needs to be resting on a pillow. I tend to get a sore arm after a while otherwise.
    The same goes for my leather chair. I need to have my elbow rested on the armrest while playing. That's what makes it really uncomfortable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,009 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Put a desk in the living room without a monitor? Near the back.

Or the 360 controller, frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

If you already have an xbox controller (wireless) http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-xbox-360-wireless-controller-gaming-receiver-for-pc-white-grey-47380

buy that, I use one and its awesome :P more handy than a keyboard and mouse when in the sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

If you already have an xbox controller (wireless) http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-xbox-360-wireless-controller-gaming-receiver-for-pc-white-grey-47380

buy that, I use one and its awesome :P more handy than a keyboard and mouse when in the sitting room
    I bought one off them too. Great little thing, although the drivers are a bit finniky got get running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I use wireless key board and mouse on lap and bed, for games that use hot keys like SC2 i use a small table to rest them on.

Also have the xbox wireless controller receiver as above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I use something like this http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/80202221
    I paid about a 10er for it but can't seem to find it on there now.

Mine is wooden and totally flat, mouse mat tapped in place and I have a small wireless keyboard, don't play many games on it, more general use for me so can't say how good it is for heavy gaming, or how comfortable it would be after a few hours gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Some great suggestions on trays etc. - not sure on the various wireless pads and adapters though; one of the best features of PC gaming is the mouse and keyboard interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

xixi2012 wrote: »

I had one of them, the driver wouldn't install from windows update, then the mini cd included wouldn't work on my laptop, then the driver file contained an invalid signature file that had to be corrected using a tutorial file on the internet.
    It also requires a powered usb port.
    Don't get me wrong its great and works excellently especially with xPadder. But my god such a hastle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

360 controller for gaming, media remote for movies etc... and then I use my iTouch for keyboard and mouse when browsing the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I have my computer hooked up to a projector and use the xBox controller for racing games and other controller friendly games. It works brilliantly. Don't think I'd be doing it for Skyrim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you can get used to it, a trackball is a nice thing to use, as no mouse-mat is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SkrApsAK

people mentioning 360 pads obviously have never used a PC for FPS games. A pad for playing FIFA and driving games etc ok but not RPG's or FPS. Such a disadvantage.

I just use a little desk on wheels big enough to fit my keyboard and mouse on. When not using it, then wheel it off to the corner and stick a few magazines on it :)

360 pad on PC is just blasphemy!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,009 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

SkrApsAK wrote: »
    people mentioning 360 pads obviously have never used a PC for FPS games. A pad for playing FIFA and driving games etc ok but not RPG's or FPS. Such a disadvantage.

I just use a little desk on wheels big enough to fit my keyboard and mouse on. When not using it, then wheel it off to the corner and stick a few magazines on it :)

360 pad on PC is just blasphemy!!!! :mad:
    Chill. Plenty of games DO work with a pad, while many indeed do not.

Overheal wrote: »
    Chill. Plenty of games DO work with a pad, while many indeed do not.

hmmmm, not much of a point made there considering I was only messing about and made the exact point that you did :)

anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I use my iTouch for keyboard and mouse when browsing the net.

Heh? Is there an app for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

quarryman wrote: »
    Heh? Is there an app for that?

Theres also a really cool logitech app on the app store.
    Just search logitech.

It turns you itouch, pad or phone into a mouse pad, so just sit back and use it as a mouse, so sweet.
    With that and the itunes remote, I hardly get out of my chair :p

If on android, the gmote app is pretty good as a remote for you PC, i use that a bit.
    And if any of your dont use the Dropbox app.... check it out, its amazing!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, just to go back to this. Would i be better off getting a good wireless mouse and keyboard, or getting a usb extender/hub and using a wired mouse and keyboard? I don't mind having a cable coming across the floor, as it can be hidden under the rug.

And if wireless, can someone recommend a good mouse? The one i have currently is pretty crap, and cuts out from time to time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

always better to go wired, unless your sitting room is ****ing *huge*

Advertisement