Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puffins on the east/ south east coast?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Anybody know of any possible places to view as per subject?

Ta,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I fear you are a bit late in the season. May to July is the peak season for seeing them on shore. Irelands Eye has a few pairs. The Saltees is probably the best easy to access site.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Saltees is your best bet to late now though didnt get to go this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Thank you kind boardsies. (pity)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Saltees are the best bet. It may be late to see puffins, but it'd still be worth the trip over.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

I was out on Great Saltee about 10 days ago and unfortunately saw no puffins. Anyone else I asked also did not spot any puffins. Great to see the gannet colony and the seals though.

I went out on a boat at 11am, cost was €20 return, but I think this may have been a discounted price as there was a puc fada competition taking place so there were more people going over. I think the normal fare is €25.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

wagtail99 wrote: »
    I was out on Great Saltee about 10 days ago and unfortunately saw no puffins. Anyone else I asked also did not spot any puffins. Great to see the gannet colony and the seals though.

I went out on a boat at 11am, cost was €20 return, but I think this may have been a discounted price as there was a puc fada competition taking place so there were more people going over. I think the normal fare is €25.

The puc fada contest was taking place on the Great Saltee? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

The puc fada contest was taking place on the Great Saltee? :confused:

Yep, see here
    Though I must say that the participants and organisers, mostly from Wexford, seemed respectful of where they were. Seemed a nice group of people.

Advertisement