Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lowden V C.F Martin ???

Options
  • 18-08-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I know most people will always choose a Lowden guitar over a Martin one but are they really that much better than a high end Martin? I am looking to buy a new guitar and would appreciate any good advice.I have always loved Martin guitars and have one now but I want to upgrade. The most I can afford is about 3000 to 3500. You can get a really good MArtin for that price but only an original series Lowden for the same cash. An original Lowden is still a great guitar.With a Lowden I will have to get a pick up fitted where as with a Martin it will come factory fitted.
    Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

I'd be less concerned about the brand and more about the Guitar. With your budget you're in a position to try a lot of high end guitars so take your time and go for the one that feels and sounds right. Don't be concerned about pickups. If you find the right guitar that can that can be sorted later or negotiate a deal to have one fitted if it doesn't already have one.

Let us know what you go for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mydingaling

Cheers, have you tried a McIlroy guitar. Lesser known but great quality by all accounts.I think I will have to give them a try too!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

It depends what you are looking for really. I find Lowdens have a very distinctive tone with loads of body and a clear high end whereas Martin guitars are slightly more boxy sounding and not as rounded. Lowdens just sound bigger and warmer to me.

For me it'd be Lowden every time without hesitation, especially at that price range. I bought mine second hand and if you look around you'll definitely find a bargain.

There are a few on adverts.ie. Im going to try x music as I heard they have a few Lowdens and Martins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Lowden's have a big honky midrange that's not for everyone

personally I love it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

I think you commented on my advert about the HD-28 (sorry for not getting back im unsure as to sell it or not now). Have been looking at lowdens also but as yet have never played one. I think the Dublin Guitar Centre have a few in stock, x music dont have many last time i checked. If I had 3000+ to spend i think id go for the HD-28V!! The reason i was unhappy with the HD is because it was a bit too boomy for my taste and i believe the HD-28V is more balanced. Lately though it has grown on me so im unsure what to do really:confused:. Would love to know how you get on anyway and what you think of the lowdens if you get the chance to try them.

No worries,I tried a lowden today as well as aD35, D28 and a J16rea. To be honest the Lowden blew me away butat 3700euro it is 1400 more than a D35 so why wouldn't it.I was surprised how light the Lowden was, the wood is very thin but apparently thats what gives it it's sound.I have decided to go up north to the Guitar rooms as they have a great Lowden range and he has promised to blow any southern price out of the water.

What model lowden was it for that price, 35 series? Did you notice any difference between the D35 and D28? I believe they are almost identical apart from 3 piece back on 35. Apparantly alot of guitarists are claiming that the current D28's are below the usual martin standard and are not very good. Any I tried didnt impress me at all, even the D16-RGT I had sounded better. Reason why i chose the HD28 in the end.

Yes it was an O35 indian rosewood/Spruce top.I really wanted to try a F32 but none around.The D28 I tried was nice enough but the D35 was nicer however the D28 had dull strings on it.I have to say the lowdens are nicer though their price reflects that.When I am going up north I am goingf to try some McIlroy guitars too.

OK thanks, I must try out the lowdens, although I'd only be going as far as the original series. Would be interested to know what you go for in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

For that money you are nearly into vintage Martin territory, maybe not a mint condition 60's but there are definitely some 70s in good nick that can be had for that cash.This springs to mind http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-bass/martin-d-28-1974/666302

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

This is my first time on this forum and this thread caught my eye.

I had a Lowden years ago. One of the first hand-built models in the country. I have to say I hated it! It was far too bright and the neck wasn't nice either! Actually I never liked the feel of the guitar in any way! That's a long time ago.. about 1983! Then that's just my impression.
    Anyway, talking of Martins, something else came along. I was offered a second hand 1972 D18. Guess who owned it? None other that the man himself..Christy Moore!
    His sound engineer at the time sold it to a mate of mine and I bought it from him for £150 plus I swapped him a PA amp as well. I'm left-handed so I had it converted by Derek Nelson. I still have it and have always loved it! I sold the Lowden when I got it too!
    It's always nice to look at old Planxty videos and watch my guitar on telly, more famous than I ever got to be!!
    I wonder what it's worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 basemann

Hi, There's a shop in Cork called Russels near the bus station and they are closing down. I was in there today and they have loads of top end acoustics that I spent an hour trying out. The Lowdens were the best to me by far.

He has them at clearout prices. One of them was 4,000 euro and he dropped a grand off it because someone put a little dent on it! ( I looked but didn't see the dent). He is closing soon and has one or two Lowdens reduced at the 2,400 mark but you'd want to hurry before he calls it a day.

Ken.

Advertisement