Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA on second FETAC 5

Options
  • 18-08-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Does anyone know if I would be immediately disqualified from receiving the back to education allowance on a FETAC 5 if I've already completed a course at that level? help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i dont think BTEA will support you doing the same level twice if you already have a qualification. if you were to progress onto a level 6, 7 or 8 then you would be elligable for BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JC2009

Hi I'm starting college mid Sept and currently qualify for BTEA allowance as have been unemployed since last Oct. While I have left the App in with Social Welfare I haven't been approved yet however I cannot see any reason why I won't be. My prb is that I might have the offer of some P/t work on weekends (and possibly 1 eve per week) starting in the next week or 2. Will this interfere or god forbid jeopardise my BTEA App? This job may not last so I don't want to rely on it for regular income. At least I know I can pay my bills and feed my child while I have BTEA.

JC2009 wrote: »
    Hi I'm starting college mid Sept and currently qualify for BTEA allowance as have been unemployed since last Oct. While I have left the App in with Social Welfare I haven't been approved yet however I cannot see any reason why I won't be. My prb is that I might have the offer of some P/t work on weekends (and possibly 1 eve per week) starting in the next week or 2. Will this interfere or god forbid jeopardise my BTEA App? This job may not last so I don't want to rely on it for regular income. At least I know I can pay my bills and feed my child while I have BTEA.

Income from part-time work does not affect the basic BTEA payment.

from

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7237/back-to-education-allowance/index.html

Hi RoyalMarine

Thanks for getting back. I know I can work once I've been approved for BTEA however I haven't been approved yet so that's my quandary! I'm afraid that by taking this job (that I haven't actually been offered yet lol) that it might affect the application.

seeing as its only 2 weeks till the start of college semester, i doubt it will affect your application. best to be 100% sure and contact the social welfare office, and ask for the facilitator. he/she will give you a definitive answer, and might also be able to give you any info on your pending BTEA claim.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much I'll get onto them straight away :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I'm a mature student and I've been accepted into a preparation course for Computer Science in NUI Maynooth. The whole point of the course is to lead directly into the Computer Science degree in NUI Maynooth. But I've just found out it is at FETAC Level 5. I already hold a FETAC Level 5 in Business from 2008.

I've already been accepted for BTEA in early August, but on the original application I put down the Computer Science degree (I applied in June before I found out I'd need to do the preparation course because my maths ain't up to par!).

In anybodies experience or knowledge, will I be refused BTEA once they recieve my registration info as registered on the preparation course that is level 5?

Given that it's really just making the degree course 5 years instead of 4, which is how Maynooth put it themselves, is there any leeway in these situations? Or is it just a robotic no based on the system of levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

I was refused the BTEA as I already held a Level 5 cert
    I've wrote to them stating the following as an appeal
    I am writing in response to the letter dated 25/08/2011 informing me that my application for the Back To Education Allowance had not been successful because I already hold a qualification at the equivalent level. I would like my application to be reviewed by another officer. I currently hold a FETAC Level 5 Certificate in Bench Fitting. I obtained that certificate as part of a traineeship I done with xxxxx xxxx. I have looked into further training in Bench Fitting and as of my understanding level 5 is the highest certificate available in the subject. I have applied for a course for a level 5 certificate in xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx . I cannot directly access the level 6 course in this subject without completing the level 5 course. I am looking to do level 5 with the vision of going onto to the level 6 course in the same college next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 user90

I think I have a similar problem, could do with some help! I completed a City and Guilds Part 3 course in 2007, out of 2 components I passed one and failed one. I think Part 3 is equivelant to Fetac Level 5. I am now in a Fetac level 5 course, ( needed to progress to a degree course next year) still waiting to hear if I got on to BTEA. Should I be worried? If I'm not eligible I'll have to drop out. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Daveybits

I was refused the BTEA as I already held a Level 5 cert
    I've wrote to them stating the following as an appeal

Did you get anywhere with them in the end Blackninja? I wonder how open the are to appeals and that in general...The system in place there seems to leave little room for common sense to be applied to a situation.

"The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

I was granted the BTEA after the appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sandra0701

JC2009 wrote: »
    Hi RoyalMarine

Thanks for getting back. I know I can work once I've been approved for BTEA however I haven't been approved yet so that's my quandary! I'm afraid that by taking this job (that I haven't actually been offered yet lol) that it might affect the application.

Hi thats funny because I had the same problem...I applied for BTEA last week, I'm waiting for acceptance and yesterday I should start new part time job(weekends nights and one night in the week). Because I was afraid that taking offered job could affect my BTEA on JB(I'm still on it, because I'm waiting for BTEA) I resigned from offered job...I decided to wait for BTEA first and then look for part time job...

And another thing, on which I'm wondering is : I'm starting DCU tomorrow, I'm still on JB, have no idea when I get acceptance for BTEA, can I still take my dole as JB?I'm not available for full time work anymore but I need to live for something...I'm sure that I'm eligible for BTEA, because I was on it last year(I did fetac 5 and now I'm progressing to a higher level)...I don't see any reason why I shouldn't get BTEA, but I haven't sure at 100%...so I don't know what to do...maybe the best thing is just waiting patiently?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

sandra0701 wrote: »
    And another thing, on which I'm wondering is : I'm starting DCU tomorrow, I'm still on JB, have no idea when I get acceptance for BTEA, can I still take my dole as JB?I'm not available for full time work anymore but I need to live for something...I'm sure that I'm eligible for BTEA, because I was on it last year(I did fetac 5 and now I'm progressing to a higher level)...I don't see any reason why I shouldn't get BTEA, but I haven't sure at 100%...so I don't know what to do...maybe the best thing is just waiting patiently?

I only applied for btea yesterday for a fetac 5. I Also don't know if I can sign on for my usual JSA in meantime?

Smyths I have no idea..I'm waiting...is not my fault that waiting for transfer from one payment to another take so long time...until I get BTEA I will collect JB..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 me2u61

I have started a level 5 course recently and applied for btea. I was refused it because I already did a level 5,but i failed half the modules so i cant progress to level 6.. I appealed it and was refused again today. does any1 know what I can do now?? Ill have to drop ouy if i dont get anything:(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MarkC1987

I am just after receiving a letter today asking me to come for an interview for college to do a course that's a level 5 and I am just after finishing one that was level 5.i received btea during that time.does that mean I will
    Not receive it this time round?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seafield

Hi,

Does anyone know if I could get btea or fas funding for a fetac level 5 when i already have a degree and higher diploma which i got btea for?

Thanks

seafield wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know if I could get btea or fas funding for a fetac level 5 when i already have a degree and higher diploma which i got btea for?

Thanks
    I don't think so, to get BTEA you have to progress from lower level to higher...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MarkC1987

well i was onto the social the other day.they told me that if i wanted to get btea for another level 5 that i would have to make a case to say that the new course i am doing is gona help me progress onto proper college.and that the two levels 5's were not connected in any way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ironcrush

I have done FETAC level 5 and intend to do FETAC level 6 this year. Now if I want to start a course at the University or IT at third level will that be counted as progression or no? As I am finishing a FETAC level 6 then going to HETAC level 6.

ironcrush wrote: »
    I have done FETAC level 5 and intend to do FETAC level 6 this year. Now if I want to start a course at the University or IT at third level will that be counted as progression or no? As I am finishing a FETAC level 6 then going to HETAC level 6.
    yes, this is progress..

MarkC1987 wrote: »
    well i was onto the social the other day.they told me that if i wanted to get btea for another level 5 that i would have to make a case to say that the new course i am doing is gona help me progress onto proper college.and that the two levels 5's were not connected in any way
    so, if they told you, you should try..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ironcrush

sandra0701 wrote: »
    yes, this is progress..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobbyo

Does anyone know if I'd be eligible to do a level Fetac 5 course under BTEA if I already have a level 4 in a different course. The person in my local welfare office says she's not sure if I'm eligible as Fetac 4 and 5 are recognised as minor awards and this wouldn't be progression according to her (though it obviously is a different course and is full time plus is an access to Higher National Diploma next year.) I find this rule very frustrating as it means I'll have to wait a whole year now to do a course cos all the HND courses are full.
    Has anyone done a Fetac 4 and been approved for BTEA for a Fetac 5?

Peace out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

bobbyo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I'd be eligible to do a level Fetac 5 course under BTEA if I already have a level 4 in a different course. The person in my local welfare office says she's not sure if I'm eligible as Fetac 4 and 5 are recognised as minor awards and this wouldn't be progression according to her (though it obviously is a different course and is full time plus is an access to Higher National Diploma next year.) I find this rule very frustrating as it means I'll have to wait a whole year now to do a course cos all the HND courses are full.
    Has anyone done a Fetac 4 and been approved for BTEA for a Fetac 5?

Peace out

Don't worry! Level 5 is a Major award and going from 4 - 5 is progress That's the whole purpose of the NQ framework! This welfare officer obviously needs to do a few FETAC courses herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobbyo

RADIUS wrote: »
    Don't worry! Level 5 is a Major award and going from 4 - 5 is progress That's the whole purpose of the NQ framework! This welfare officer obviously needs to do a few FETAC courses herself.

Hey, thanks for this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

RADIUS wrote: »

Also if you have done 5 or 6 subjects at level 5 or failed subjects etc. You should get the Grant as to gain a Full Fetac level 5 major award you need to complete 8 subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 timo2

I m doing level 5 at the moment and I dont get BTEA if I did an other level 5 could I get the BTEA? Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement