Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking while boozing

Options
  • 18-08-2011 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Well I was a regular smoker up until the start of June. I just didn't like them any more and made a conscious decision to give them up... except when drinking. Everything has gone fine, I go Sunday to Friday evening without a puff then buy a 20 pack for Friday and Saturday nights. I haven't strayed from this.

Now I want to make the final push and stop smoking entirely. This is hard owing to how many smoker friends I have, pubs where everyone ends up in the smoking area and of course the association in my mind between drinking and fags.

I was thinking I might just need a break from going out for a while in order to adjust. I'd love to read any advice ye might have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Same story with me. I stopped and became a social smoker only when i was out at the weekends. I went on like that for a good year or two and i never had any during the week. When i was drinking though i used to get an extreme craving especially when everybody else was smoking. I came to a point where i just wanted to stop altogether so i stopped buying them, but when i was out i would always get offered a fag or be given the last few drags of a friends fag. One night then i just decided enough was enough so i tried my best to avoid giving into temptation if at all possible. I didn't go out to the smoking area in any bars or nightclubs so i wouldn't even be near them. Anyway i got over the first night OK pure delighted with myself. The next week seemed tougher though, i came close alot of times because i would get given cigarettes and i'd almost take them only to make myself snap out of it and remember what i was trying to achieve. The last 5 times i was out i didn't have any. It is hard at the start theres no doubt about that but it does get easier. The last night i was out i got offered another one and simply said no and it was as easy as that, I didn't ever want one. You wont achieve it unless you try, it will be hard at the start but it does get easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭Glebee

For me its really tough when im out for drinks. Been off the smokes since early August and have been fine during the week. Would only really go out on a Saturday night and a couple of times ive gave in and bought a pack of smoke. Might only have 5 that night and always ended up giving remainder of box away the next morning. Would not smoke again until beer was involved. But then a few nights ive managed to not smoke while out. It all depend on the company im with and if there are many non smokers there. If I was only have a couple of drinks then I would not smoke at all. The more beer the more I need a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

Why not try getting your friends to give them up with you? I imagine it would be easier as a group.

Worth a shot, isn't it?

Advertisement