Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today fm axe Donal Dineen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I'm sure he'll get a slot on Phantom. In later years I must admit I wouldn't have heard it that much but its shows like Donal's that sometimes give a band that break into mainstream that they dreamed of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a small miracle he wasn't binned years ago. I remember and was an avid fan of his show when it went out from 9 till 12 (I'd stick in two C90s and record the whole show for review and then fillet the best tracks on my double deck Sony), then it was 10-12 then it was 12-2 and now its gone.

Today FM squeezing out diversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

that is a terrible show anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

bbability wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll get a slot on Phantom.
    Can't imagine that'll be much comfort to him. I'd say that whatever salaries are paid in Phantom are minuscule compared to Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Could be worse...he might get a gig at Nova.................:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

What's most disappointing is that they'll most likely replace him either i) the automated playlist that currently follows his show at 2am, or ii) someone who'll play more or less the same stuff that's played on other shows on the station already.

Some of the people who've filled in for him in the last few years have been really good (Leagues, and that Aidan chap), but I doubt there's much chance either will get a gig on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tom Russell

Less than a month left for him now, Any word on who will replace him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Robojock I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

Listening to the Small Hours as I type, it's a real pity to lose a DJ who plays such diverse stuff.

Still, at least we can look forward to 2 extra hours of pop every night, Lady Gaga and the like aren't getting the airtime they deserve.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Will miss this show, what will we listen to now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

silvine wrote: »
    Will miss this show, what will we listen to now?

BBC 6 Music, obviously. Irish radio is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 karaokenomore

Dineen will be sorely missed.
    As an alternative, there's always http://www.rte.ie/rnag/antaobhtuathail.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Today FM really needed to free up an extra couple of hours to play even more Rihanna and Katy Perry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

This is a kick in the bollocks. I feel sick that we have lost this show. There is now no source of anything different on national airwaves. Well done Todayfm, your transformation in now complete. You are now just 98fm nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

check this out its all the old shows http://smallhours.fm/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Never even knew he was on TodayFM. I liked his music choices on No Disco years ago, when he took over from the superb Uaneen Fitzsimons after she was killed in a car crash.

Aside from Dineen, Cian Ó Cíobháin's An Taobh Tuathail on RnaG is the only alternative radio show on national radio that I'm aware of. Refreshing stuff, with some great gems in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

Donal Dineen was the original No Disco presenter from September 1993 till he left to join Today FM (then Radio Ireland). Uaneen Fitzsimons replaced him on No Disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Thanks Donal for all the tunes over the years...listened from the first day 14 years ago.
    I'm sure theres a whole generation of listeners gutted to see you go.
    At least theres Cian on RnaG - every bit as eclectic and interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

KC's show completely changes after midnight. Playlist gets very mixed, sort of like Donal Dineen lite in a way.

Also, he's on 'til 2am but I'd guess that the last hour is voicetracked!

Today FM could have done a lot worse. Thought it was just gonna be some pop sh!te. Still will miss Donal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I listened the last couple of nights to KC trying to do a Donal. It's not the same really, a bit of Portishead and Pink Floyd, all fairly predictable. He keeps asking 'if there is anything you'd like to hear just text or email the show'
    So I texted I'd like to hear Donal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

longshanks wrote: »
    I listened the last couple of nights to KC trying to do a Donal. It's not the same really, a bit of Portishead and Pink Floyd, all fairly predictable. He keeps asking 'if there is anything you'd like to hear just text or email the show'
    So I texted I'd like to hear Donal

In fairness, I highly doubt KC wants to be in that position! I'd imagine he was told to keep it slightly more accessible too...

All the same, I also miss Donal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 The Fame

I hear Donal Dineen is filling in for Dan Hegarty this week on 2fm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The Fame wrote: »
    I hear Donal Dineen is filling in for Dan Hegarty this week on 2fm

You hear right!

(next week too)

Advertisement