Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alpaca farming

Options
  • 17-08-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Does anyone know anything about farming alpacas? I've heard it's a viable business but not sure where to go for more information. The father lost his job last year and is in bad need of something to occupy the time more than anything else. We have about 15 acres and something like this might suit him (if the fencing was ever done).

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What are they bred for do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

They are bred for the wool, my mrs was keen on them but looking into it, the only ones who seem to make money are the people who started out with alpacas selling breeding stock

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

Take a look at this site - http://www.bas-uk.com/ - lots of helpful and useful information. I think though, as has been said, the real money comes from breedeing and then selling Alpacas to new owners rather than selling the wool!

George

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

If you're anywhere about the midlands, maybe you should look up Alpacas of ireland on the Offaly Kildare border.
    Check out the website Alpacasofireland.co

I pass by that way betimes and see a lot of them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Sounds like Deer farming back in the 80's the man rearing and selling the breeding stock made all the money and the farmers selling them for meat went broke :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

Suposed to be great for keeping foxes away from sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

If I were to get them it would only be two in the garden as pets for the kids
    and mow the lawn not to make money but would they make a loss do they need
    to be tested dosed and housed for the winter

Advertisement