Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 7 dual boot with xp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

XP has to be the 1st one installed AFAIK, XP wouldn't know anything about the Windows 7 preboot environment to add itself as an option to boot.

If you do it the other way around, Windows 7 knows how to add itself to the boot.ini on an XP install.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

gerryR wrote: »
    XP has to be the 1st one installed AFAIK, XP wouldn't know anything about the Windows 7 preboot environment to add itself as an option to boot.

If you do it the other way around, Windows 7 knows how to add itself to the boot.ini on an XP install.

hth

Thanks for the reply.
    So i would be better off putting xp on first rather relying on that guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Sry I hadn't looked at the post, looks like it might be possible to do it with that 3rd party SW but I've never tried it.

It will work the other way for sure but would involve wiping/ reinstalling your PC if you all ready have Win 7 installed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Its entirely possible to put Xp in after... but do you really need an actual bootable copy of XP? If you have windows 7 pro you can get a free virtual machine copy of window xp which might be an easier option.:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I've found that trying to install xp with windows 7 is a f*cking nightmare. Keep getting the BSOD referring to a SATA driver fault. I'd say your best bet is as mentioned earlier. XP first and then partition the drive to install 7.

• Advertisement

Seriously dont format to install xp then reinstall 7 that would be an epic waste of time.

If you want to actually dual boot then create a partition for window XP if requried.

Go though the install motions for XP installing on that Partition!

When fully booted XP will have overwritten the boot manager, allowing you to only boot XP there is 2 solutions for this:

Get the free copy of Easy BCD and Add windows 7 again.

OR

If you boot off the windows 7 install disc and search for problems it should fix the bootloader and add XP to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

fionny wrote: »
    Seriously dont format to install xp then reinstall 7 that would be an epic waste of time.

Ah wait was that suggested earlier? I wasn't backing that up!

OP follow this guys' advice, he knows the score.

Its entirely possible to put Xp in after... but do you really need an actual bootable copy of XP? If you have windows 7 pro you can get a free virtual machine copy of window xp which might be an easier option.:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Yes i already tried that. My laptop doesn't have "hardware-assisted virtualization support "

Make / Model? sometimes it just needs to be turned on in the BIOS

Make / Model? sometimes it just needs to be turned on in the BIOS

Its an easynote tj68

• Advertisement

Sadly that processor cannot do it sure enough! Didnt think there was many without that function these days!

just my luck:(

Oh well try to figure out vmware maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

If you've already got 7 installed, you could just install XP, then put in a Windows 7 installation disc, and select "Repair My PC". That will repair Windows 7's bootloader, and allow you to boot from XP or 7

Ya VMware wont work either.

Just go back to the original plan.

Advertisement