Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport to get 24-hour air ambulance

Options
  • 17-08-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭

from rte.ie
    A dedicated 24-hour air ambulance service will begin operations at Dublin Airport from tomorrow.
    The move by AeroMedevac follows criticism that its current base at Weston Airport, outside Dublin, was only available during daylight flying hours.
    The company was contracted to provide services to Crumlin Children's Hospital, following controversy involving other service providers in relation to the transfer of liver patient Maedhbh McGivern last month.
    In a statement this afternoon, the company said they had been given assistance by the Dublin Airport Authority in relocating its medically-equipped Cessna Citation jet at the airport.
    AeroMedevac Chief Executive Keith Trower said while Weston was suitable for medical repatriation flights, the move to Dublin Airport facilitated '24 hours' operations.
    Question is though, is this just a rapid transport service from hospital to hospital or will it be called out to pre hospital scenes with an advanced medical team on board? And if so where is it's remit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Looks like its the same service that already exists, but extended to 24-hour cover.

Heard this on the news in the car a few mins ago, they made it sound like an EMS pre hospital service, which unfortunately its not...

Having said that its a great step in the right direction for patient transfer services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Buffman

flazio wrote: »
    will it be called out to pre hospital scenes with an advanced medical team on board? And if so where is it's remit?

No, it's an airport only service.

aaa1.jpg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Whoops, my bad, thought they meant a helicopter not a plane. Didn't read the article properly. Surely a helicopter would be more useful though?

flazio wrote: »
    Surely a helicopter would be more useful though?

Domestically, yes a helicopter would be more useful. However this move is all a result of the missed transplant and it's fall out, where speed counts and a plane is quicker.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Looks like this company only has 1 plane. I wonder what happens when it's doing another retrieval...

• Advertisement

Vorsprung wrote: »
    I wonder what happens when it's doing another retrieval...

I'd imagine it reverts to the previous system then, with the Coast Guard and/or Air Corps being called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭sgthighway

While this will cost the state megabucks its one of those thing "we have to have". I hope it doesn't get pulled in few budgets time. Now we just to keep open all the Regional Airports for it to land in.
    Maybe the Air Corps will purchase some more Stretcher friendly Helicopters in the future when they replace their current fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Here's a stretcher friendly AW139 just like the Air Corps use:
    4-AW139-helicopter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

sgthighway wrote: »
    Maybe the Air Corps will purchase some more Stretcher friendly Helicopters in the future when they replace their current fleet.

I wouldn't be holding your breath. Replacing their current fleet is a lonngggg way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Was this aircraft referenced in the recent report? All I recall was that the non-state asset was unavailable. I presume now that it was unavailable due to not being able to fly at night.

Personally, I don't think the coast guard should be involved at all in this equation. They should be search and rescue only. Withdrawing a machine for transportation means that emergency life or death coverage is degraded. While patient transport may be urgent, not all are life or death.

What are the flying hours for Weston? Is it specific to sunset or to a set of hours that they are restricted to by local authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

BrianD wrote: »
    Was this aircraft referenced in the recent report? All I recall was that the non-state asset was unavailable. I presume now that it was unavailable due to not being able to fly at night.

Personally, I don't think the coast guard should be involved at all in this equation. They should be search and rescue only. Withdrawing a machine for transportation means that emergency life or death coverage is degraded. While patient transport may be urgent, not all are life or death.

What are the flying hours for Weston? Is it specific to sunset or to a set of hours that they are restricted to by local authority.

Weston is subject to VFR rules operating between sunlight/sunset in good weather conditions,The Rwy does not have a PAPI/VASI or ILS ( nav systems) like most airports operating for commercial flights.
    As for the operating costs these can vary depending on aircraft type being used and what sort of SLA the govt plebs sign off on,Having worked in the aviation sector for quiet some time and dealing with adhoc charters you could be looking at about 10k a trip for an aircraft of this type roughly.
    The plane being used I think is Cat 11 so can pretty much land at most airports providing the weather does not go below Cat 11 either during day time flying or night time.

Advertisement