Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Unpaid Direct Debit Fee

Options
  • 17-08-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Just have a bit of a rant about Bank of Ireland's Direct Debit charges. I didn't realise up until recently how much the bank charge you for not having enough money in your account to meet DD payments.

I have 6 Direct Debit coming out of my account each month and I recently noticed a charge on my account: €12.70 UnpaidFee. I rang up to enquire as to the reason for this charge. Turns out one of Debits came in later than usual this month. CityBin applied a debit of €13.33 to my account. My account was empty as I don't get paid til next week and I had a number bills to pay due to car problems.

Therefore, BOI applied the UnpaidFee and overdrew my account by €12.50. There was a difference of 60c between the bill and the 'unpaid fee'. It makes no sense. Why not just overdraw my account by the amount of the bill instead.

I know this is just an automated process with no human interaction which explains the lack of common sense in a case such as this. That brings me to my point though; what is the justification for charging €12.70 for an automated computer process which costs the bank nothing to perform? 50 cent maybe, 2 euro wouldn't even be too bad but how the hell can they justify charging €12.70? :mad:

Edit: Article on the topic of Direct Debit charges here (March, 2005)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well, you not let it happen again......

It a standard banking fee. Boi have got a lot more strict about it. Some bank will pay it given the small amount and then charge an excess fee like €4.44.

If your that annoyed called them and complain, you may just a refund as a "gesture of goodwill".

Well, you not let it happen again......

It a standard banking fee. Boi have got a lot more strict about it. Some bank will pay it given the small amount and then charge an excess fee like €4.44.

If your that annoyed called them and complain, you may just a refund as a "gesture of goodwill".

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

National Irish Bank abolished referral fees since Danske took over. If you open an account after this time April 2006 you dont pay when things like this happen.

I would ditch that bank and use NIB or Ulster. BoI have a facility fee too for overdrafts etc etc.....

UB are the same. But UB don't charge an overdraft renewal fee but do charge if you use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TrafficBug

BOI are rip off @€;12.70 per unpaid DD admin fee. They should reset the penalty back down to lower bracker of 4.44 approx, when say 6 months of no unpaid fee's elapse. Robbing toe rags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Set up an overdraft if you're not very good at managing your finances.
    BOI don't charge me if I go between .01 and 5 euro overdrawn.
    They also dont charge for the 1st instance in the quarter,
    Maybe they removed those 'perks'
    They also have a talk to forum on here.

Advertisement