Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kiss hired...then fired from Michael Jackson tribute concert.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Bit him in the hole so!

First link.
    Gene Simmons will do just about anything for a buck.

KISS has been confirmed as a performer for the Michael Jackson Tribute Concert -- even though the long-tongued singer has called the King of a Pop a molester.

Promoters revaled the lineup news on Monday on CNN during an interview with Jackson's mother Katherine.

Simmons went on the record last year saying, "There is no question in my mind he molested those kids. Not a doubt.

"The only sexual references ever made about Michael Jackson that were made by anyone, anywhere in the world, have always been made by kids, and specifically males usually 10 to 14 years of age," the reality star added. "Never females, that age or older, and never grown men."

Still, despite his strong feelings about Jackson, Simmons and his rock band will be performing -- adding more star power to the lineup.

Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green, Smokey Robinson and Alien Ant Farm have all been confirmed already.

Katherine Jackson has reached out to big names like Jay-Z, Kanye West, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber, Usher and Bruno Mars to come and play, although Brown, Bieber and Mars have turned down the invitation due to scheduling conflicts.

The concert will be held in Cardiff, Wales on Oct. 8.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2011/08/15/2011-08-15_kiss_to_play_michael_jackson_tribute_concert_even_though_gene_simmons_has_called.html#ixzz1VISPcClT

Second link.
    Kiss bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons says he’s heard enough celebrity tributes to Michael Jackson, and wants to hear from the kids who accused the late pop singer of molestation.

The estimable Sleaze Roxx website has the following:

“I want the kids who’ve accused him, to be blunt, of molestation, to have their say,” Simmons told The Canadian Press in a telephone interview from Los Angeles on Thursday.

“I want to hear what they have to say. Not celebrities. Let’s celebrate the talent and everything later, let’s just figure out if there are any victims here.”

The recently deceased Jackson was tried for child molestation in 2005 but was ultimately acquitted of all charges by a jury. He faced a similar accusation in 1993 but that case was settled out of court.

Simmons said he initially declined to provide his opinion on Jackson, but that enough time had elapsed since the singer’s death for him to break his silence.

Simmons said he knew Jackson roughly 26 years ago. At the time, Simmons was living with Diana Ross and found Jackson to be “charming and shy and self-effacing, you know, very pleasant, obviously talented”.

Jackson paid millions of dollars to settle out of court with a 13-year-old who accused him of molestation in 1993, Simmons noted.

“I want to know what that boy has to say,” Simmons said.

“So while it’s sad that [Jackson] had this sad life and I understand, that’s horrible – Michael’s not the only victim. I want to know what these boys have to say.”

On a lighter note, former Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley has released a commercial for his upcoming solo CD ‘Anomoly’. The album is scheduled for release on September 15, 2009.

Third link.
    Michael Jackson fans outraged by Kiss tribute concert booking
    American glam-rockers to play Jackson tribute concert despite frontman Gene Simmons calling the late singer a paedophile

reddit this
    Sean Michaels
    guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 16 August 2011 13.14 BST
    Article history

Kiss-ed off ... Michael Jackson fans criticise inclusion of glam-rockers on tribute bill
    Kiss have reportedly been added to the lineup for October's Michael Jackson tribute concert in Cardiff, despite singer Gene Simmons alleging that Jackson was a paedophile. The American glam-rockers will join Christina Aguilera, Leona Lewis and, er, Alien Ant Farm at the concert, which has divided the singer's family and fans.

"I know [Michael] would be very excited about Kiss," Jackson's mother, Katherine, told CNN on Monday. But the singer's fans are unconvinced. Michael Forever's Facebook page has been deluged with angry posts, as fans criticised the promoters' latest booking. "The inclusion of Kiss is vile," wrote one. "This concert has become the biggest insult to Michael's memory," added another, "it's like spitting on his grave!"

Last year, Simmons spoke about Jackson in an interview with Classic Rock magazine. "Where there's smoke there's fire," he said. "There's no question in my mind [Michael] molested those kids. Not a doubt." The Kiss singer said he "knew Michael", and "as time moved on, and no matter what my fond memories and fond images of Michael were, with one allegation of paedophilia after another and another and another – oh dear … I knew some of the musicians he toured with, and specifically one who quit because of seeing boys coming out of the hotel rooms. And then you factor in that his travel agent was put on the stand and in court said that she was authorised to fly to Brazil and bring boys back to America for him … Michael's on tape going, 'Give the kids Jesus juice.' Which is wine. I mean it's just endless."

Simmons made similar comments the year before, speaking to Canadian Press. "It's sad that [Michael] had this sad life and I understand, that's horrible," he said. "[But] Michael's not the only victim. I want to know what these boys have to say … Not celebrities. Let's celebrate the talent and everything later, let's just figure out if there are any victims here."

Kiss' involvement in Michael Forever is the latest controversy surrounding the multi-million pound concert, alongside its unexpected location, high ticket prices and, most of all, its timing. Two of Jackson's brothers oppose the gig because it takes place during the involuntary manslaughter trial of the singer's former doctor, Conrad Murray. "I can understand how Randy and Jermaine feel, but it's been two years," Katherine said.

Jackson was dogged by allegations of sexual assault throughout the 90s and 00s. Despite settling one dispute out of court, he was charged with seven counts of child molestation in 2005, leading to a five-month trial. He was ultimately acquitted on all charges.

Fourth link.
    Gene Simmons can Kiss goodbye to Michael Jackson tribute concert
    Promoters apologise for 'oversight' in booking glam rockers as Jackson estate further questions Cardiff concert

reddit this
    Sean Michaels
    guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 17 August 2011 11.04 BST
    Article history

Kiss of death … Promoters drop Gene Simmons's band from Jackson tribute concert. Photograph: Richard Drew/AP
    Promoters of the forthcoming Michael Jackson tribute concert have dropped Kiss from the bill following complaints that frontman Gene Simmons called Jackson a paedophile. Global Live Events apologised for its "oversight" in booking Kiss, which the Jackson estate described on Monday as "extraordinarily embarrassing".

"We have listened to Michael's fans and are grateful to have been alerted to these unfortunate statements by Gene Simmons," said CEO Chris Hunt. He was referring to the Kiss singer's comments in interviews since Jackson's death. "Where there's smoke there's fire," Simmons said in 2010. "There's no question in my mind [Michael] molested those kids. Not a doubt." Accused of molesting a 13-year-old boy in 2005, Jackson was ultimately acquitted of all charges. In 1993, he settled a similar case out of court.

"Under the circumstances we fully agree that even though Kiss is a band Michael admired we have no choice but to rescind our invitation to them," Hunt continued. "We offer our sincerest apologies to Mrs Jackson and the family for this oversight – our primary concern must be to do justice to Michael's memory, and to put on a tribute that the family and the fans will find suitable."

There have been questions about the "suitability" of Michael Forever, which is to take place at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on 8 October. On Monday, the Jackson estate sent a severe letter to Global Live Events, saying the executors had "multiple concerns" about the show. Although they were "especially disappointed" by the booking of Kiss, the estate also challenged the tribute concert's refund policy, its "charity" billing, and even its right to use Jackson's name.

"The estate is the only entity that can grant the right to use Michael Jackson's name, likeness or any of his intellectual property," wrote lawyer Howard Weitzman. "We assume you do not intend to use any intellectual property that is controlled by the estate." Pointing out that the concert's only charity component is as a "voluntary [ticket] add-on", Weitzman asked promoters to name the groups that will benefit from ticket sales. This suggests that no revenue has been promised to the estate. "In light of the … confusion surrounding this 'event'," Weitzman wrote, "we are extremely concerned about Michael's legacy, his fans and the public at large."

While some of the Jackson family are backing Michael Forever, brothers Randy and Jermaine have criticised the concert's timing. The criminal manslaughter trial of Conrad Murray, Jackson's former doctor, is scheduled to begin on 8 September.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Got a bit of a shock there. I read the thread title a bit too quickly and thought that I had been hird and fired without knowing anything about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Kess73 wrote: »
    Got a bit of a shock there. I read the thread title a bit too quickly and thought that I had been hird and fired without knowing anything about it. :D
    Didn't you notice? I made you mod of Rock & Metal while I was on lunch. I'm back now though so I took the privileges away again.

Malice wrote: »
    Didn't you notice? I made you mod of Rock & Metal while I was on lunch. I'm back now though so I took the privileges away again.

Sorry did you just say something there? I was too busy staring at your av to notice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Sorry did you just say something there? I was too busy staring at your av to notice. :)

must have cost malice a fortune but he sure is pretty now:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Hmm.. a pursuit I will admit to to! Whats with the avatars anyway, first Thirteen and now the new one (who I dont know)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

They should have never been booked in the first place

must have cost malice a fortune but he sure is pretty now:D
    If I looked like that I reckon I'd have trouble getting as far as out of bed in the morning :p
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    Hmm.. a pursuit I will admit to to! Whats with the avatars anyway, first Thirteen and now the new one (who I dont know)
    Who or what is Thirteen?

If I looked like that I reckon I'd have trouble getting as far as out of bed in the morning :p

Who or what is Thirteen?

Olivia Wilde. 13 is what she is called in House.

Olivia Wilde. 13 is what she is called in House.
    Ah okay. So who had her as an avatar then?

• Advertisement

Ah okay. So who had her as an avatar then?

Don't know. I just know who Thirteen is. :D

Either that or Deicide Dave (as I tend to think when I see MP's posts regardless of whether or not his real name is Dave :)) and I are operating on a similar bandwidth in terms of thought process. In which case we will be around to facilitate your abduction induction into our nasty cult friendly organisation soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Truely cringeworthy situation to read about on Kiss' part. What a shower of money grabbing assholes.

Don't know. I just know who Thirteen is. :D
    Ah yes, I suppose I'll have to wait for Max Power1 to clear that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

seven of nine wasn't too bad either! ;)

and on topic, i would say they found it hilarious to be asked considering the views expressed and were just waiting for the cancellation.
    that would be me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

The most shocking thing I saw in any of these reports is that Alien Ant Farm are still going :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

what a plonker! Simmons was willing to play at a massive tribute night for a man he condemned believing he molested young boys? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Am I the only one that loves the whole situation? I almost admire Simmons for his total not giving a crap about what or where he's playing.
    And you know he doesn't give a shit about Jackson, the gig or getting kicked off.

"Hey Gene, wanna play a gig? We'll pay."
    "Yeah, whatever."
    *fan uproar*
    "Sorry Gene, you're out."
    "Yeah, whatever... Buy my condoms."

And they'd still probably have stolen the show.

Advertisement