Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stuck fuel gauge avensis 1.6 2007

Options
  • 17-08-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi boardsies,

The fuel gauge on my 2007 Avensis 1.6 is stuck on the full tank position since the last time I topped up the tank, however the on-board computer seems to be accurately informing the car's autonomy as I drive.

What could be the problem? When I turn the engine off, the gauge goes down to zero as expected. All other gauges are working fine. And how cheap/expensive is it to get it fixed?

Please help! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

BUMP!

The gauge has slowly started to move down, but after 500km it says i have about half tank of gas. That's totally inaccurate.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Did you ever top it up that much before? Leave it for a hundred km's and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

the float could have gotten stuck and has now freed itself or if the half full reading is wrong then the float sender unit is gone faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Give it a belt of a hammer maybe? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭rafaetha

Plug wrote: »
    Did you ever top it up that much before? Leave it for a hundred km's and report back.

Yes, I often top it up all the way to full tank.
    dharn wrote: »
    the float could have gotten stuck and has now freed itself or if the half full reading is wrong then the float sender unit is gone faulty

If it's just a stuck sender unit, can this cause any further problems or just the inconvenience of wrong readings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

It wont cause any other problems other than wrong readings. Can you take out the back seat and see is the pump and sender unit cover visible? Maybe if your a DIY head you might be able to free it. Im not sure whats the set up with the tanks on these. I know some cars the tank has to be completely dropped others just pop out the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The 97-2000 model Avensis had a problem with the fuel and temp guages sticking. It was an issue with the guages themselves rather than the sending units. The fix (under warranty at least) was to replace the clock cluster.

I haven't heard of any problems with the later model avensis in this regard.

You could try 'tapping' the dash above the clock cluster and see if this has any impact on the needle position.

I will say that the later avensis also has a habit of the fuel guage needle staying near the top for a good while after a fill and then dropping rapidly as the tank empties.

Advertisement