Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tankmates for Clown Loach and Neon Tetras?

Options
  • 17-08-2011 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking into stocking my 180l Rio Community tank. Tank appears to be cycled (it not being fully emptied and all filter material being kept seems to have worked wonders :)), have had stable readings for 4/5 days now at 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate, 6.5 PH and if they continue I'm planning to pick up some more fish at the weekend.

After unexpectedly getting a Clown loach with the tank, I've been doing some research on them and reckon at their growth rate, I can keep him for about 4 years before they need a larger tank. They seem to do best in groups so will be planning on buying another 2 to keep "Nim the Stowaway" company but going to pick up a few neon tetras first as they're hardier fish and the tank is still pretty new. Thinking 7 - 9 of these.

After this, I'm unsure. The other half is in love with Guppies after seeing some in the pet store. From what I can see on-line they're okay tank-mates for tetras and clown loaches.

Any suggestions of other good tank-mates for this setup? Visually, I'm thinking that a few bigger fish such as discus would look good but they're apparently quite difficult to keep and I'm not sure the tank is big enough for them....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm looking into stocking my 180l Rio Community tank. Tank appears to be cycled (it not being fully emptied and all filter material being kept seems to have worked wonders :)), have had stable readings for 4/5 days now at 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate, 6.5 PH and if they continue I'm planning to pick up some more fish at the weekend.

After unexpectedly getting a Clown loach with the tank, I've been doing some research on them and reckon at their growth rate, I can keep him for about 4 years before they need a larger tank. They seem to do best in groups so will be planning on buying another 2 to keep "Nim the Stowaway" company but going to pick up a few neon tetras first as they're hardier fish and the tank is still pretty new. Thinking 7 - 9 of these.

After this, I'm unsure. The other half is in love with Guppies after seeing some in the pet store. From what I can see on-line they're okay tank-mates for tetras and clown loaches.

Any suggestions of other good tank-mates for this setup? Visually, I'm thinking that a few bigger fish such as discus would look good but they're apparently quite difficult to keep and I'm not sure the tank is big enough for them....

Guppies are awesome, get a few and they will really brighten up your tank, blue rams are also a fabulous, easy to keep fish that do great in community tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Surely that tank is seriously over-stocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭diverdad

Surely that tank is seriously over-stocked?

My feelings on this too.

Some slightly bigger fish such as Gourami are good in community tanks and can add dimension and variety (excuse spelling). Top feeder

I favoured Kribensis. Given enough room they will readily breed and defend their young. They are agressive during this phase but they chase other fish away from their young without seeking to do them damage. Their breeding colours are very beautiful. Lower bottom feeders/swimmers
    http://aquariumlore.blogspot.com/2006/04/kribensis.html

If you do get some and if they do breed then remove all young when they are about 15-20mm in length. They will be looked on as competition and hunted.

The Rams mentioned are nice fish too but can be difficult to keep. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/germanblueram.php

Keep us posted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Chain loach are a small loach and will only reach about 3 inches in length (if you are lucky)

I currently have several Discuss,3 Bristle nose plecs (again a small plec,4 inch m,max),chain loach and a shoal of cardinal tetras in my 500 litre tank.

All live together in harmony and seem to realy like their surroundings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have been contemplating Discus alright. The tetras and clowns tend to stay quite low in the tank at present and I'd like a couple of slightly larger fish that swim high in the tank which (from what I've seen in other's tanks, discus seem to do).

Would an 180l tank be large enough for them though? And how compatible are they with Guppys (my o/h fell in love with guppys after seeing them in a store recently).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Have been contemplating Discus alright. The tetras and clowns tend to stay quite low in the tank at present and I'd like a couple of slightly larger fish that swim high in the tank which (from what I've seen in other's tanks, discus seem to do).

Would an 180l tank be large enough for them though? And how compatible are they with Guppys (my o/h fell in love with guppys after seeing them in a store recently).

You can buy a pair of small Discuss and let them fit into their new home.

Beautiful and gracefull fish indeed.

I have 3 at the moment,but soon to be 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

Hi Sleepy! :)

Glad to see the stowaway survived!!!
    He was used to other clown loaches alright - kept them with other cories, any swordtails, guppies, tetra, mollies all fine. Bristelnoses are great if you can find them. I kept angels with them before, but not discus. Need to buy the angels small though so they are used to having small fish about and do not consider them lunch :)
    Guppies and swords and anything like hatchetfish you might see will swim towards the top. The only problem with guppies is their tails are a target for any nippy fish....also if you are putting in any female guppies you need more females than males. If your OH is getting into it, guppies are dead easy to breed also, which can be a thrill....
    Glad its going well :)

Advertisement