Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hatfields and McCoys: An American Vendetta [Miniseries]

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Paxton-Hatfields-McCoys-1036434.aspx

Bill Paxton has been cast as Randall McCoy in History's new miniseries, The Hatfields and McCoys: An American Vendetta, the network announced Tuesday. He joins Kevin Costner, who will play "Devil" Anse Hatfield.
    The miniseries chronicles the violent hostilities between the Hatfield clan in West Virginia and the McCoys across the Tug River in Kentucky following the Civil War. The notorious feud also included a New Year's massacre of the McCoys, a star-crossed romance between McCoy's daughter and Hatfield's son, and the intervention of two governors.
    Kevin Reynolds will direct the project, which Leslie Grief's Thinkfactory Media will produce in partnership with Costner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/tom-berenger-powers-boothe-join-hatfields-and-mccoys-30576
    History Channel has tapped a pair of grizzled veteran character actors for its upcoming mini-series "The Hatfields and McCoys."
    "Platoon" star Tom Berenger and "Deadwood" villain Powers Boothe will join the project as members of the Hatfield clan.
    In addition, Oscar-nominee Mare Winningham ("Georgia") will play the McCoy family matriarch, the network announced.
    Stars Bill Paxton and Kevin Costner were previously announced.
    Set in the 19th Century, the mini-series focuses on the famous land feud that erupted between two families living along the border of Kentucky and West Virginia.
    The film will reunite Costner with Kevin Reynolds, who directed the star in the hit "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" and the notorious bomb "Waterworld."
    Sony Pictures Television will distribute the film. Thinkfactory Media will produce it.

Casting gets better and better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Yet another show that has completely slipped under my radar, can't wait for the TV season to start up properly!

Yet another show that has completely slipped under my radar, can't wait for the TV season to start up properly!

This wont be on tv until next year I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Sounds interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 55,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Anyone check it out? Worth watching?
    Reviews seem mixed (but most are above average).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Have all 3 parts ready to go and should hopefully get started on it tonight. Haven't heard much in the way of reviews but won't expect too much from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Watched the pilot, thought it was very good

Shot like a high quality show and excellent story, this will win a few awards at the end of the year

But I'm suffering a bit from character overload
    So I'll be watching the pilot again before going on to episode 2 & 3

Record-breaking US mini-series Hatfields & McCoys is to air on Channel 5 in the UK in October.
    The period drama - starring Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton - broke several ratings records when it screened in the US on History.

Hatfields & McCoys - Thursday, October 25 at 9pm on Channel 5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

dull, dull, dull

TG4 will be airing this later in the year

Not sure if it repeat or first showing on TG4 this coming Friday at 10.30

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Not sure if it repeat or first showing on TG4 this coming Friday at 10.30

Thanks for the heads up, will watch it again, seen it on Ch5 at Christmas about 2 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just finishing this series now. I've read some of the history of the Hatfield / McCoy feud, and while the main events are accurate, there are some historical inaccuracies. The elder Hatfields were actually younger than portrayed e.g. "Devil Anse" Hatfield was in his early 40s. Also, the story of Rosanna McCoy and Johnse Hatfield wasn't, according to the Hatfield family legends (as told here), a mutual romance as portrayed. He basically knocked her up and dumped her, and neither family insisted on a shotgun wedding because they knew he was a philanderer - and that's according to his family.

What was most surprising to me was the way some of the violence was toned down: the shooting of the McCoy boys, for the murder of Ellison Hatfield, was reportedly even more brutal than shown, and the same goes for the injuries later inflicted on their mother (Sally McCoy).

I'm probably going to read more about the Hatfields & the McCoys, since I don't think the series really drove home just how insane the feud was - but the Romanian scenery was pretty and the performances were strong, particularly Mare Winningham as Sally McCoy.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement