Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Family Camping

Options
  • 17-08-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have zero camping experience but the kids (aged 7 & 11) really want to give it a go. We do a lot of stuff together at weekends including a bit of forest trail walking/cycling and we've been on a few campsite holidays in France staying in the sites mobile homes which I know means nothing in the context of putting up a tent in Ireland!!

B&Q had this family starter tent (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/B-and-Q-Jutland/1707) including 4 x sleeping bags, 1 x double air mattress and 2 x single air mattresses on sale for €59.99 so I read some quick reviews and made the purchase.

Now I have an unopened box with the tent and basic gear inside and a family rearing to go. I'm thinking the best thing we can do is go to a really good family friendly campsite for our first outing so that we can meet others who can share their experience and maybe even help us get sorted if we end up making a complete bags of things.

I'm based in Dublin so was thinking of booking into Lough Key Forest Park for the last weekend on August before the kids go back to school and use the time between now and then to read up as much as possible on the do's and don't's of family camping for beginners.

Good idea / bad idea?

All suggestions, criticisms and ideas gratefully received.

Ben

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lough Key is a fantastic place and you'll have a blast.

BUT, in order to keep your marriage safe and some iota of respect in your children's eyes, get that tent out of the bag and put it up in the back garden before you go away. Otherwise it will pour down with rain and you'll be standing with tent poles in one hand, the instructions in the other, tent pegs falling out of your back pocket and the mallet in between your teeth, wondering how on earth all this goes together...

Practice man, PRACTICE!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

Hi, The advise to get the tent up in the back garden is good solid advise,follow it. Apart from rain ,does everyone fit in lying down ?What will you cook with ? Check what the weather is going to be like. If its lashing rail will everyone fit in during the cooking etc,etc. Try and go somewhere that has a lot of tents up,so you have loads of people who know what their doing and will help. Dont go too far from home in case all fails and you need to get home fast.Lough Ree caravan park always has lots of tenters and its a good site in Athlone. When you do go to a site,walk all around and check the facilities.You can use the camper kitchen on site to cook you could wash in the toilet blocks ,and their is probably a games room. So I hope this all helped and hope you have a ball. You might also consider joining the Irish Camping and Caravan Club,which is fantastic and it has its own site for camping up in Wicklow.www.iccc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Lough Key is a fantastic place and you'll have a blast.

BUT, in order to keep your marriage safe and some iota of respect in your children's eyes, get that tent out of the bag and put it up in the back garden before you go away.

Practice man, PRACTICE!! ;)

Great advice there Tabnabs - I'll definitely do that.
    irishtear wrote: »
    Hi, The advise to get the tent up in the back garden is good solid advise,follow it. Apart from rain ,does everyone fit in lying down ?What will you cook with ? Check what the weather is going to be like. If its lashing rail will everyone fit in during the cooking etc,etc. Try and go somewhere that has a lot of tents up,so you have loads of people who know what their doing and will help. Dont go too far from home in case all fails and you need to get home fast.Lough Ree caravan park always has lots of tenters and its a good site in Athlone. When you do go to a site,walk all around and check the facilities.You can use the camper kitchen on site to cook you could wash in the toilet blocks ,and their is probably a games room. So I hope this all helped and hope you have a ball. You might also consider joining the Irish Camping and Caravan Club,which is fantastic and it has its own site for camping up in Wicklow.www.iccc.ie

Thanks IrishTear, appreciate the input. If we take to it at all then joining the ICCC would be a good idea. I like to look of this site http://www.morriscastlestrand.com and the reviews on Trip Advisor are very good. Sounds like a good way to ease ourselves into camping and it's only 90 minutes from home in case it all goes pear shaped!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I was down at Morriscastle last year. It is very family friendly, happy kids wandering about everywhere. It's quick to get to from Dublin and being beside the beach is a fantastic amenity. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

As well as pitching the tent in the back garden you should stay a night in it. Also make sure when pitched that guy lines are tight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

nice one...
    remembered first time,i had to get the tent in the back garden,took me a day to make it work !! Then...the hell of getting back all the stuff in the right order and in the same size ,as most of the tent stuff just end-up in another bag due to not fitting in original case !!

I went first weekend nearer to Dublin,in Wickow Mountains,there are two nice sites.Got bad weather second day and i had to get the tent down while slashing rain !!

Lessons learned:
    -park the car as close to the tent
    -do one install ,one at a time while remaining stuff stays in the car just in case is rains
    -get everybody well involved and trained on what to do and when and under pressure
    -prepare for the worst,special the weather and the cold temperature over night ! The adults got a "glass of heat" but poor kids had clothes,sleeping bags and blankets over !
    -get some books,games,others to keep the kids busy in case the weather won't allow you to go outside
    -pack all stuff well,in marked plastic boxes.
    -get all kids clothes for all going out days,2-3 pairs a day
    -get a box where all the "dirty,smelly" stuff will be left until return home
    and not lastly...get the kids involved from a to z,ask them for advise,for food,activities,map...and so on ! You will avoid a nasty time if they won't like it !

Have fun...

I was thinking to buy few under-blanket / over-blanket electric heating blanket,would that make a big difference !? They can be connected to on-site electricity plugs !?

i cannpt open the link from first post but...i have paid €60 on two sleeping beds alone !! Are you sure they are fitted for Irish weather !? Sleeping bags,what seasons do they are ? My tent it costs me hundreds and when is cold outside is warm inside but still feeling the touch of the wind due to ventilation shafts !!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

The quality of the tent is important and make sure that it has at the least Hydrostatic 2000mm, 3000mm is perfect for Irish weather. This is a test manufacturers do to see how waterproof the tent is.
    Also as the weather is so undependable and as a previous poster said,, make sure there is enough room for everyone in the tent, seated in a chair or standing! That way its not too unbearable if it is raining!
    Also a tip,, it takes alot of energy to boil water. Before you go bring flasks of hot water, replenish in the campsite kitchen if possible.. You could be waiting over 20mins to boil a kettle on a gas stove and waste a lot of your gas! But the freedom of camping is fantastic and a great holiday!

Thanks everyone for the benefit of your experience and useful tips. Much appreciated.
    rolion wrote: »
    i cannpt open the link from first post but...i have paid €60 on two sleeping beds alone !! Are you sure they are fitted for Irish weather !? Sleeping bags,what seasons do they are ? My tent it costs me hundreds and when is cold outside is warm inside but still feeling the touch of the wind due to ventilation shafts !!

Here's the link to the Boards bargain alert thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056347443. Even at the original price of around €140 I'm sure the kit is just about passable but no more. I know you get what you pay for so if we enjoy the experience but the sleeping bags are rubbish, the tent leaks and/or is too small and the air mattresses don't hold air we'll put the €59.75 we spent down as a cost to rent the gear - ditch the gear and start accumulating proper stuff in the sales etc over the winter so we have what we need come spring time. If it turns out we are not cut out for camping I've lost €59.75 + the cost of the weekend but we'll have had a memorable family experience one way or another and I'll still have 4 sleeping bags for kids sleepovers etc.
    Dow99 wrote: »
    The quality of the tent is important and make sure that it has at the least Hydrostatic 2000mm, 3000mm is perfect for Irish weather.

The tent is stated as being 2000mm which I know isn't as good as 3000mm (did I really need to say that???) but should do the trick for the type of casual summer camping we'll be doing, initially at any rate.

Quite looking forward to it now. I know there'll be some drama or other but sure that's half the craic. ;)

Ben

I don't know how your kids are,but mine,if they won't like something they will never be willing to try it again !
    So,first experience matters !!

Invest in the the best stuff out there and always prepare for worst,as you can have 4 seasons in one day in some of the country's corners !!

The fun is coming thereafter as a bonus... :)

Here's a B&Q link to the starter tent pack I'm using - http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11427554&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=tent&fh_eds=%C3%9F&isSearch=true

94% of reviewers would recommend to a friend - pretty good feedback that for any product!!

Ben

• Advertisement

is cheap and small for a family with active kids !
    is the weather is bad,there is no way that you and wife have peace with them ,as there is no space to share !!

Attached a picture of my tent...

-3 compartments,self contained from main tent,each one having his room.
    -Plenty of space inside,middle section for "enjoying" the rainy times with games,cards.Table and 5 chairs fitting comfortable !
    -full kitchen area with portable kitchen cabinet,cooker and gas ! No need to go outside to warm up that milk or...wine !
    -2 Seasons sleeping bags at €50 each.
    -Double sleeping beds at €30 each with independent sleeping sections
    -lots of storage areas for kids'stuff

AND...i do not expect to change it for the next 5 years,at least !!

the rest is fun... :)

is cheap and small for a family with active kids !
    is the weather is bad,there is no way that you and wife have peace with them ,as there is no space to share !!

Attached a picture of my tent...

-3 compartments,self contained from main tent,each one having his room.
    -Plenty of space inside,middle section for "enjoying" the rainy times with games,cards.Table and 5 chairs fitting comfortable !
    -full kitchen area with portable kitchen cabinet,cooker and gas ! No need to go outside to warm up that milk or...wine !
    -2 Seasons sleeping bags at €50 each.
    -Double sleeping beds at €30 each with independent sleeping sections
    -lots of storage areas for kids'stuff

AND...i do not expect to change it for the next 5 years,at least !!

the rest is fun... :)

Looks good all right Rolion but I'm a bit of a cheapskate and won't splash the cash unless it's crystal clear we're going to be doing lot's of camping in the years to come ;)

If it's lashing rain we'll be off to the nearest swimming pool, cinema or bowling alley for a bit of indoor fun and we'll eat in the nearest chipper or Chinese if it's too wet to cook.

Ben

BenEadir wrote: »
    Looks good all right Rolion but I'm a bit of a cheapskate and won't splash the cash unless it's crystal clear we're going to be doing lot's of camping in the years to come ;)

If it's lashing rain we'll be off to the nearest swimming pool, cinema or bowling alley for a bit of indoor fun and we'll eat in the nearest chipper or Chinese if it's too wet to cook.

Ben

i agree with you,when i look back i think i was mad to spend so much for few out-goings on the local summer...not sure if is worth it now ,but is too late !!

now,i am preparing my car for Lough Key long weekend !!!

hava fun and longer sunshine... :)

Enjoy and thanks for the help.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Hi Ben

Think you got a real bargain there and even if the tent turns out to be rubbish the sleeping bags and airbeds will never go to waste.

On a practical note, the nights can be chilly so forget the pj's and wear warm tracksuit or even thermals (if you already have them) to bed. If there's space in the car throw in a few blankets just in case.

Get everyone a headtorch (shop around ) so they can independently read, go to toilet block and generally sort themselves out.

Definately do your first overnight in the back garden, it'll be an adventure in itself and if you have a camping stove cook a simple meal of sausages in bread rolls or whatever the family favourite is, kids love cook outs

And if you do get a bit damp,so what, it's all part of the experience and you have to start somewhere.

Enjoy :)

Hi Acorn,

Set up the tent with my wife and kids this morning straight out of the box and it took us about 40 minutes which I think is excellent given none of us had ever put up a tent before. We took it slow to read the instructions etc so reckon we could do it in about half the time next time.

Surprised by how good the quality feels and how big it is. I'm 6ft tall and can stand up in the middle, just about touching the roof. No doubt there are bigger and better tents out there which will be more comfortable and give us more 'living space' room but this will certainly do the trick for long weekends etc.

The sleeping bags are pretty light so we'll definitely need to wrap up in track suits and thermals but other than that it's an amazing amount of kit for €59.75. The equivalent starter pack from Halfords http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_786705_langId_-1_categoryId_236916 is €129.99 and only 1500mm hydrostatic head Vs the B&Q's 2000mm. In fairness the Halfords tent is 40cm longer & 25cm taller (which I'd definitely like to have) but I wouldn't trade 2000mm for 1500mm given our weather. The B&Q is also 2200mm wide Vs Halfords 1800mm. The extra 40cm is very useful given I'm 1830mm tall. I can lie down fully stretched in the B&Q whereas I couldn't do that in the Halfords.

Can't wait to give it a proper go next weekend.

Apart from head flashlights for everyone what other essentials should I invest in at this stage? A lantern? Table and Chairs? Cooking stove and utensils?

I'll do my own research on what other equipment to bring but would appreciate suggestions from those of you with experience.

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

BenEadir wrote: »
    it's an amazing amount of kit for €59.75.

It certainly is, Ben! :) If the family really enjoy the camping, you can always start to upgrade your bits and pieces and have a rather sumptuous set up next summer. In the meantime, if you guys don't take to it, you've really spent nothing on it. :)

Hopefully it'll stay dry next weekend, fingers crossed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I do hope the kids will love the crystal maze thing there! Heck, me and the lads had fun in that place, though some of the puzzles were built for kids, so we couldn't do them :/ Also, the walk way is very nice, and although the tower isn't as tall as it once was, it still provides a very view.

Here's some photos that I took when I was there http://pix.ie/the-syco/album/354604 Although the island is accessible, I'd advise against going to it with kids, as getting from the boat to the island can be tricky at times.
    acorn wrote: »
    On a practical note, the nights can be chilly so forget the pj's and wear warm tracksuit or even thermals (if you already have them) to bed. If there's space in the car throw in a few blankets just in case.
    Or just ensure the sleeping bags are good. Also, bring woolly hats, although some sleeping bags have "hoods" on them. The sleeping bag I use has been used when camping in France, England, Ireland, etc, and has kept me warm, but I've seen some people getting cold in warmer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Zebbedee

Hi Ben,

Hope Lough key worked out for you. I'd also recommend the campsite at redcross. We were there twice this summer, for a weekend in june and 1 week in august. It was great. They have a little petting zoo, rabbits ducks etc, a couple of playgrounds for varuious age groum, crazy golf, games room with pool tables, table tennis etc. Also great pub there called mickey finns, There are kids clubs in the morning from 9.30 - 1pm and then in the function room of the pub in the evening from 5 -7 or 6-8 there are more kid club activities, jewellery making, dancing etc. Also every evening at reception there is a tv room and they put a kids film on every night at 7pm.
    It is a very well run caravan site, totally recommend it. Though I must admit now that I did not camp there, we stayed in mobiles. I do have a 9 month old baby so thats my excuse and I like my comfort.
    But camping is great, I camped when I was 34 weeks pregnant at brittas. One bit of advice I have for you is that its cold at night alright, but the tent heats it something awful if the sun is shining in the morning and its bright so you'll deffinately not lie in but neither will anyone else!!
    Anyway, I would check redcross out. No need to cook, just go to pub or the chipper. Who wants to cook on their holidays?

I've come in late in this thread and you'll of had your camping experience by now. Hope it was good and you'll be doing it again. I'll be doing it again when my baby is old enough and I'm not as fussy with her etc.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

Dying to know how you got on Ben! Will follow your lead if all went well

• Advertisement

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Hi Ben,

Hope Lough key worked out for you. I'd also recommend the campsite at redcross. We were there twice this summer, for a weekend in june and 1 week in august. It was great. They have a little petting zoo, rabbits ducks etc, a couple of playgrounds for varuious age groum, crazy golf, games room with pool tables, table tennis etc. Also great pub there called mickey finns, There are kids clubs in the morning from 9.30 - 1pm and then in the function room of the pub in the evening from 5 -7 or 6-8 there are more kid club activities, jewellery making, dancing etc. Also every evening at reception there is a tv room and they put a kids film on every night at 7pm.
    It is a very well run caravan site, totally recommend it. Though I must admit now that I did not camp there, we stayed in mobiles. I do have a 9 month old baby so thats my excuse and I like my comfort.
    But camping is great, I camped when I was 34 weeks pregnant at brittas. One bit of advice I have for you is that its cold at night alright, but the tent heats it something awful if the sun is shining in the morning and its bright so you'll deffinately not lie in but neither will anyone else!!
    Anyway, I would check redcross out. No need to cook, just go to pub or the chipper. Who wants to cook on their holidays?

I've come in late in this thread and you'll of had your camping experience by now. Hope it was good and you'll be doing it again. I'll be doing it again when my baby is old enough and I'm not as fussy with her etc.

Good luck

Hi Zebbedee,

Thanks for the note. Redcross does indeed look very family friendly with lots of facilities and activities onsite.

I wasn't the one going to Lough Key, that was Rolion. I went to Morriscastle last weekend and we had a great time. See http://www.morriscastlestrand.com.

I was very impressed with the site and how well it was run but what do I know, this was my very first time camping!!!

The big positives were the location and the way the park is managed. Location wise it's right on the beach and what a beach!! We had a nice sunny day on Saturday so spent a load of time on the beach which was super. The park is really clean and well run which was great.

The main downside was that myself and my wife didn't sleep very well. We were cold and it was very drafty despite wearing several layers and drinking a bottle of wine before hitting the sack. The kids slept great so maybe it's just that we're too used to our comfort. I also didn't like having to walk 100m to the loo at 4am when I needed to pee!!

The 4 man tent (for €60) was very good but didn't have a sewn in ground sheet and had a fairly small living space in between the sleeping compartments so I'll be keeping an eye out for a good deal on a bigger one (perhaps a 6 man) with a sewn in ground sheet for next year and perhaps a couple of better quality sleeping bags. If I don't get a great deal I'll be quite happy to stick with the B&Q 4 man kit but a bit more space and fewer drafts would make things a lot more comfortable.

Bottom line is we had a great time, the kids loved it and we'll definitely be spending 3-4 weekends camping next year.
    Headdy wrote: »
    Dying to know how you got on Ben! Will follow your lead if all went well

Hi Headdy,

See above. It's well worth doing. You'll probably get a few things wrong the first time but you'll learn a lot and still enjoy yourself.

Cheers all,

Ben

When you're ready to upgrade to a bit of luxury camping

http://www.alpkit.com/ do very good sleeping bags and mats. Never be cold again at night ;)

I can recommend these guys for buying tents with
    http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/index.html

I bought a shed load of gear and the courier fees were about €20. Well worth it.

We had a great time at Morescastle Strand last year too. The only negative is the toilet blocks could do with an upgrade and tokens for showers does my head in. If your charging good money to rent out a bit of grass, at least give me free showers!

Advertisement