Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waders purchase advice needed !

Options
  • 16-08-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Guys and Gals !

Am thinking of buying some chest high waders, perhaps something that you wear with what look like hiking boots ? Have found that Wellingtons dont really provide great grip,when trying to negotiate slippery rocks or underwater tree trunks and i have yet to return with dry trousers since my return to flyfishing!

any advice gratefully received !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

What you need is stockingfoot waders with wading boots
    The best imo
    280special wrote: »
    Guys and Gals !

Am thinking of buying some chest high waders, perhaps something that you wear with what look like hiking boots ? Have found that Wellingtons dont really provide great grip,when trying to negotiate slippery rocks or underwater tree trunks and i have yet to return with dry trousers since my return to flyfishing!

any advice gratefully received !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I bought these waders and boots recently from Clonanav: http://www.irishflyfishingshop.com/catalog/ikon-waders-mako-vibram-stud-boots-p-2135.html?cPath=161_7_25

Am delighted with them, a joy to fish in, could wear them all day, easy to walk in and tough wearing too.

I have no affiliation to Clonanav, but anytime I have bought gear there the advice has been spot on, service excellent and delivery very prompt. Give Andrew a ring and he will advise on the right size for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Bison waders and boots are great value - if you're ordering them order boots 2 sizes bigger than your normal size

£99 for waders and boots (before postage) - no connection but a few friends have them and like them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISON-BREATHABLE-CHEST-WADERS-BOOTS-STUDS-ALL-SIZES-/290452041747

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

okedoke wrote: »
    Bison waders and boots are great value - if you're ordering them order boots 2 sizes bigger than your normal size

£99 for waders and boots (before postage) - no connection but a few friends have them and like them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISON-BREATHABLE-CHEST-WADERS-BOOTS-STUDS-ALL-SIZES-/290452041747

Steve

Yes got these this year and verry happy with them. Only low is the foot size compared to the wadders size. would have been good to have foot size less in Large wadders but i'm still ok in them.

Edit : after a while I fell in the water wityh them and burst the wadders on a rock ... I used the repair kit and they are as new !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I've a pair of Kinetic breathable chest waders, €80 in East coast angling in Navan. Have a pair of Vision wading boots to go with them that have lasted me years.
    great pair of waders. Had neoprene waders for years too but I'd never go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hi 280,

Im not allowed advertise here but I can advise you that Stocking Foot Chest Waders with a good boot start at around €124.95 and go up to over a thousand!! Ouch! Most of these waders have the option then to screw in studs on the sole for extra grip. The brand I prefer to sell and stock is Airflo. You are bound to find a tackle shop near you with these.. The reason I like them is they punch above their weight price wise. I have been shown loads of chest waders by different companies, all about €50 - €100 more and they seem to be a very similar design and spec.

So my advice to you is shop around. Then depending on how you look after them will depend on how long they last! Best of luck with finding one and if you want advise of any particular brands just give us a shout..

Thanks

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

I got a pair of these and i must say the zip up the middle was a revelation most of the year I can unzip and roll up the waders and not a hassle getting in or out of them, and very handy when nature calls on the riverbank!;)

and before ye ask not a drop of water through the zip, couldn't believe it myself at first but fully waterproof and lite

http://www.visionflyfishing.com/page.php?page_id=30&c=34

Well said Premier,

I totally forgot to mention the zipped waders. You will pay more for them as a good wader will have a YYK tapered zip and obviously they cost a little more to manufacture but it is very handy. I do have to promote one thing though. Try and buy it in a local or at least an Irish fishing tackle shop. This is for two reasons.

I recently had a man drive 3 and a half hours to buy waders off me a few weeks ago because of our price. But he reckoned he needed a large, cause he thought he was a little heavy, which he was not! Anyways he arrived into the shop and tried on the medium and it fit like a glove. So buying on the internet you obviously dont have that option. Now my second reason for saying try and buy is a shop and I dont want to hijack a thread but if customers keep buying online the end result will be that a lot of specialty shops like fishing tackle, equestrian, shooting etc will close down. Then when you want a hand ful of flies or a single spool of gut there wont be a shop nearby. Anyways rant over. Oh and before someone else says it, yes some shops are a complete rip of and this has driven people to buy online but maybe a few phonecalls and shop around. Demand value but also demand quality, thats a customers right..

Cheers

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Eoghan, I'll let you give your shop a plug if you will offer a discount to Boards.ie members:p

haha bitemybanger I cant blame you for trying!! Maybe we could do something alright??!! I think I'm one of the only shops on here, Ive applied for Vrep so Ill definately be looking after boards members dont you worry..

If you have any ideas Im all ears?

E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Meant to update y'all sooner but have been out fishing a bit so didnt have much time !

As i have difficulties with getting stuff to fit , including shoes, i decided against going for the online option, wasnt too sure how the sizes would work out for a comfortable frame like mine !

So...decided to check out a few of the local retailers in Louth and Meath, big disappointment. Prices werent great, The best deal for stocking foot was a total of E220, most were closer to E300.

But, didnt give up and a few days later while I was up north I had a look around, prices were significantly lower and I secured some Orvis stockingfoots for E100. Didnt bother with the boots yet, they were around E70, so at the suggestion of one of the tackle shopowners bought some cheap standard hiking boots (elsewhere !)which are doing the job fine! I am a firm beleiver in shopping local but E50 is better off in my pocket as the saying goes !

The stockingfoots are brilliant, fishing without water going over the top of your boots is a joy, never mind the better footing of using a "runner" type sole. I would recommend them for anyone who plans on getting their feet wet !

Hey 280

Sorry to hear your local shops weren't good value that's a real disappointment. I dunno did you actually see my posts before you went up north??!! Please though don't paint every shop with the same brush. According to your prices up north my breathable waders are cheaper than them so I'm delighted with that!! Good job for shopping around and even though it's a pain you eventually found good value.

Shop shops are still ripping people off so shop around guys. You did make one great point though in your post. When it comes to tgings like waders, buying online can be hard due to sizes and especially European sizes.

Anyways enjoy the fishing and maybe next time we'll be able to help you out.

Regards

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Eoghan,

Deffo followed your advice !! They are breathable , although i didnt see the bit about the zipper untill afterwards !

Rest assured if you guys were a bit closer i would have been in the door the following morning at 9am , I saw your deals on your web site and they are better than anything i could locate up here !

Heard there are some good deals on shop premises in the north east these days, maybe you would think about opening another branch......:)

thanks again !!

Haha one shop is hard enough!!! Glad I could help some bit at least. Waders are one of those tgings if it goes wrong it's very frustrating. As for tge website, god I've so much to put up there, there just aren't enough hours ib the day!!

Delighted you got sorted though and great to gear you got a bargain.

Enjoy the fishing ;)

Eoghan

Advertisement