Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs referencing police/state brutality

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hey, I'm planning to do a radio show slot focusing on songs that directly reference events related to police and state brutality. I was hoping to get a mixture of songs from any genre but I thought the punk/alt/rock/folk genres would be a richer vein to puncture. Has anybody got any suggestions... and a brief back story or link to somewhere I can read about it.... so it would be much more preferable if the song referenced real rather than imagined events.

Any contributions appreciated.... and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

It's weird, I should be able to think of loads, but at the moment the only songs relating to the boys in blue I can think of look very positively at them:

Not exactly what you're looking for but hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

You should really do your own research ye lazy git!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Yeah, er... I'm not expecting you to do research... just voluntarily offer a few suggestions... but that's cool if you don't want to. Thanks for the suggestion... by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Police story by The Partisans

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You CANNOT do a Radio Slot of Police Brutality without playing the ultimate Classic of Linton Kwesi Johnson's Sonny's Lettah.

LKJ-Sonny's Lettah (Anti-Sus Poem), Iron Bar Dub, Making History, New Crass Massahkah (Mix) Pure Epic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Angelic Upstarts - Who killed Liddle / Police Oppression

Force or service? - Conflict

ACAB - 4 Skins

Amongst the thugs - Condemned 84

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Anti flag..Police story
    The Filaments..Bastard Coppers
    Cockney Rejects..police car..
    Oi Polloi...Pigs for slaughter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Dead Kennedys - Police Truck
    The Clash - I fought the Law
    Conflict - Force or Service
    The Exploited - S.P.G.
    The Exploited - Cop Cars
    The Exploited - Son of a Copper
    Oi Polloi - Thugs in uniform
    The Partisan - Police Story
    Cockney Rejects - Police car
    Discharge - State Violence/State Control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Holy Sh*t! Thanks for all those suggestions! I knew there had to be a good few out there but there's definitely a few new ones on me. I really appreciate the suggetions... one of the things I've noticed though is that many of them are from a different era, so to speak. I was wondering if the improved communications opportunites has actually led to less songs of this nature being made... I doubt most people, even contemporaneously, would have been that familiar with the events surrounding the Liddel Towers song by the Upstarts, or Police Story by the Partisans... but in this era of Global protest and the ability to share information so rapidly you might expect this to provide bands/songwriters with a wealth of material. I know there's probably plenty of punk bands still highlighting all sorts of injusitces, state and police violence, but are these getting out to a wider audience than before because of the communication possibilites... makes me wonder. As a Chumbabwamba fan I can still take some comfort from the fact that they're still the standard bearers for political songs with a big 'P'. Thanks again for the posts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I dont have a lot of interest in any of the current punk bands and would only know the names of a handful of bands let alone any of their songs/music. I got into punk in the early/mid 80's and so all of the punk music i would have been (and still am to a certain extent) into is from the 70's 80's and 90's so unfortunately i dont know any newer material which might be relevant to the police.

CJC999 wrote: »
    I dont have a lot of interest in any of the current punk bands and would only know the names of a handful of bands let alone any of their songs/music. I got into punk in the early/mid 80's and so all of the punk music i would have been (and still am to a certain extent) into is from the 70's 80's and 90's so unfortunately i dont know any newer material which might be relevant to the police.

There are no punk bands anymore...............:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

one dead cop - leftover crack
    burn them prisons - leftover crack

as matter of fact anything by choking victim, loc, stza crack, against all authority - songs like wet foot policy

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PolarBearClub

No one has yet mentioned Propagandhi, who has to be the best political punk band currently going.

Any number of their songs could be worth using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The Offspring - L.A.P.D.

It's about the L.A. riots in '92

Also, another one I can think of is Screeching Weasel - Police Insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭bohspunks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3tjXt5FR9o

robocop is innocent about the Garda riot on may Day in dublin

the band arent alcoholics though this is how the video description has them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Advertisement