Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montessori in Sandyford

Options
  • 16-08-2011 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, does anyone know of a good Montessori in the Sandyford area? I've just got a job there and am looking for somewhere close by to send my three year old that's still accepting applications! Proper Montessori as opposed to a creche would be great please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

You have alot of choice here are some:
    - The Park Academy (do ecce scheme)
    - Giraffe
    - Lambkins Montessori School
    -Tiny Tots

and more you could find on mychildcare.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gnikdivad

if you are looking for a REAL Montessori school I would avoid any of the big chains like giraffe etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

gnikdivad wrote: »
    if you are looking for a REAL Montessori school I would avoid any of the big chains like giraffe etc!!

Can I ask why you would avoid the big chains... I have a child in the one you mention and am very keen to understand why you would avoid them?
    PM if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

My daughter is in Puddleducks, which is in Sandyford however not in the industrial park. Its up towards Ticknock.

Its a fantastic creche Sheila and the girls are brillant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gnikdivad

spudulike wrote: »
    Can I ask why you would avoid the big chains... I have a child in the one you mention and am very keen to understand why you would avoid them?
    PM if you prefer.

Hi spudulike,
    Mainly just personal choice. The first poster asked for a 'REAL' Montessori environment. These large chains are mainly crèches and are not Montessori environments.
    They may have pieces of Montessori equipment, however they are not governed by the Montessori principles and educational philosophy. The fact that Maria Montessori never copyrighted her name means that any childcare facility can just tag it onto their schools name and the are definitely not AMI accredited.
    Unfortunately in Ireland the word Montessori has lost a lot of meaning, while this is changing it is a slow process, and is far behind the UK, USA, India and most of mainland Europe and Asia.

That is the main reason why I suggested that particular person to steer clear of the big chains. I am not saying that they are bad places, or that your child is not in a safe place, I was just pointing out that if you want real Montessori education for your child then it is better to go look around at smaller schools and preferably ones that are affiliated with AMI
    ( http://www.montessori-ami.org/)

I case you are wondering I am a Montessori director, AMI trained, (one of the few males in the profession in Ireland). If I did not want a Montessori education for my own children then I would have no hesitation using the big chains, however as I have said, if you are into Montessori and want it for your child then big chains are not the way to go.

I hope that is clear for you I do tend to veer of the point, feel free to PM if you need to

gnikdivad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Beechwood is only 2 mins from Sandyford ind est, the end of brewery road. Great place by all accounts

Advertisement