Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy

Options
  • 16-08-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I completed my ICAI training contract at the end of April this year and was informed by my employer that I would be kept on until the end of October and that they would see if they were able to keep me on a permanent basis from then onwards.

They informed me, at the beginning of August, that unfortunately business hadn't picked up and that they would have to let me go at the end of October.

Redundancy has never been mentioned and I know that had I been let go at the end of April I wouldn't have qualified for any payment. My query is this: Does having been kept on for a further 6 months after my training contact expired, entitle me to receive a redundancy payment?

I know that for apprentices redundancy payments are not payable in any case where the employee is dismissed within one month after the end of his/her apprenticeship. If however, an employer retains the services of the employee for more than a month after the completion of his/her apprenticeship, the period of apprenticeship will count in calculating any redundancy payments in respect of that employee in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pepp

The same situation happened to people in the firm i work in last year and because they had kept them on more than a month it was an implied contract of employment so they were entitled to redundencey. However they were not informed that they might be let go so i don't know if that makes a difference. Good Luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 legalproblem

My employer is making me redundant in August. The position is moving to Italy to a group company. Since they announced redundany most people have reduced their work load but they have increased mine. They want me to do my day to day plus ensure that I leave all processes up to date etc before I go... Do I have to do this work...I'm being asked to go to projectg meeting etc it seems crazy to me that I have to update processes and train in staff, does anyone have any experience of this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If it were me and I was being let go I'd work to rule. But, if what they are asking you to do is reasonable and can be done in normal hours then you'd have to do it.

This may be best answered in work problems. Let me know if you want this moved.

Advertisement