Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile DJ Equipment - advice needed!!

Options
  • 16-08-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but wasn't sure where exactly to post. I have been researching getting a mobile dj set up (amp and speakers) and have come to a dead end as regards what to get. There are so many options out there which makes it very confusing.

I've decided to go for a passive system as i can always add on to it later. I will be mainly playing chart stuff at 21st's and the like but will more than likely be used for some house and techno too but not as often. So I will need a bit of low end output also.

So basically im wondering what size system to get. I reckon something with 400W RMS each with 15" cones would be best but should I get a bass bin aswell or can anyone recommend a good all round speaker?

Also my budget is in around 1,000 quid for everything. I want something thats gonna last and is reliable. I dont mind getting something second hand but will need something that I can push if needed and not be limited or worried im gonna damage it.

Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Moved here from Home Entertainment.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Things to consider:
    1. Target crowd numbers, venue size?
    2. Do you need everything?
    3. Do you want lights?
    4. Have you tried renting?

For a budget of €1000 I'd go for 2 3-way speakers rather than separate bins, its overkill in many situations.

Go for an AMP like this: http://www.thomann.de/ie/t-amp_ta2400.htm

Speakers there are a lot of options, something along the lines of this: http://www.thomann.de/ie/ld_systems_ldeb_152_stinger_b_stock.htm

Other things you'll need are neuro/speakon cables, 2 tripods, cables from amp to mixer depending on setup. There's also power cables and the likes. AMP really should have a case too(not exactly cheap). Some people use speaker bags also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

From what I can see your just starting out? You could rent the gear for your first few gigs. You can't buy talent and you could find yourself with gear that you can't sell if things don't work out. DJing isn't a get rich quick way out. And you'll be a good while paying back €1000 with the saturated market these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

ironclaw wrote: »
    From what I can see your just starting out? You could rent the gear for your first few gigs. You can't buy talent and you could find yourself with gear that you can't sell if things don't work out. DJing isn't a get rich quick way out. And you'll be a good while paying back €1000 with the saturated market these days.

€1,000 is a small budget for a set-up but can be achieved. Marlins on Jervis street in Dublin do PA packages for beginner DJ's. I wouldn't recommend them as their really not long term products. But if you went in you'd get 'what they call' a 1000 Watt package. Amp, 2 speakers, 2 speakon leads.
    They sell this package for around 450- 500 I think but again really bad quality.

You'd be better off starting with the guts of it. Go for Decks, amp, speakers and the leads you'll need. Then maybe rent lights or if you know any DJ's they might lend you some.

After a while start adding to that, buy your own lights, tripod stands etc.

Make sure you are 100% sure you wanna fork out for it and that you can get the gigs to make your money back. Otherwise it's like throwing money down a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Christy1

Thanks for the comments. I've been dj'ing already for over a decade and have decks etc but just havent done 21st's and stuff for years and never had to buy stuff for mobile dj set up. Have found a reasonable pair of second hand EVsx300 speakers which ill be goin to look at today.
    Was wondering really about the amount of output i should be carrying for these type of gigs and any recommendations that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It really really depends on the size and make up of the venue. I have to adjust mine nearly every time e.g. House party vs large wooden school hall.

I'll grab the exact specs of mine and I'll give a run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Im in the same position myself at the minute looking to get some pa stuff and theres so much choice out there its a pain. I was looking at passive myself as its what Ive always used but if your going to be lagging stuff around the place and for handyness sake active might work out better.

I was reccomended some mackie thump th-15a active speakers for the likes of 21's and other small gigs, I havn't heard them yet but know they have them in xmusic, although when I search online Im getting mixed reviews on them, anyone here using them?

The mackie srm 450's are a few quid dearer but seem to have much better reviews for mobile work so they might also be another option.

In saying the above, I was looking at this passive pack here - http://www.thomann.de/ie/peavey_pv215_e_800_amp_set.htm, them peaveys are bloody huge which may be a problem fitting into a car, Im also unsure if the amp is absolute cack thats part of the deal

They're rated at 350 a side but that amp only does 240 a side.....that must be a mistake, you should have at least the t.Amp 1050 for those drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

I bought myself a 'the box' set up when I started doing mobiles, the whole thing cost me about 350 including 2 15'' tops, amp & case and all required cables, I still have the system sitting in my house, very reliable and the sound is very much bearable for mobiles!

saying that my average gig size was 50-100, usually birthday parties, college balls, that kinda thing, if you were going on the wedding circuit my advice would be save some money for yourself and buy an RCF rig!

I had a pair of mackies on the road for a while and they were an absolute dream, nice bass response, really easy to set up and durable as fuq, one problem with the mackies is it is fairly hard to get replacement parts for them!

I no longer do mobiles so don't really need 3 PA rigs but its nice to have a big system at home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

+1 on the rcf stuff.

Invest in good tops and their whole range is almost interchangeable(issue with power links, but easily fixed with some fancy wiring) with there entire sub range.

I've used jbl passive systems for a while mad up of the mrx and vex range, just never sound great.

Switched to rcf, lighter overall. Matched perfectly for sound. Parts are meant to be easy to get. I did have a big wait to replace a busted xlr chip but the lad who organises them in england had passed away so I'll assume thats all sorted now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 PremierDJ

You won't go wrong with these to start you off, DAS is a solid brand and you could negotiate a pair of stands and leads into the deal and get a powered sub from thomann if you start doing bigger venues. But they won't be there long at that price so you'd have to be quick. For lights just get a couple of cheap LED par cans from thomann or CPC and use them on the floor behind you for colour wash, add more lights later if things work out for you. If you already have decks then you'd be set up for about €500-€600.

Ok so ive gotten a pair of EV sx300's with stands and speakon cables all for a very good price. They're second hand but seem to be in quiet good nick!

Now I need some advice on an amplifier to marry up with these...any recommendations? I've been offered a Crest 2400 amp. Is this a little overkill or should I be looking for something round about this size and just dont overdo it?

Take the outputs of your speakers, tot em all up, add 30% and thats the amp you want.

That amp is 1200W, probably overkill for 600W system.

Remember when buying AMPs, retailers often list the 4Ohm power, you need the 8Ohm rating. Something with 400W a side is what I'd look for.

Yea i see alot of places just have 4 ohm rating. Is there any way of calculating this into 8 ohm? Also can you give me any recomendations as to what particular make/model to be looking for? What a solid brand etc?

Any retailer worth their salt will have 4 and 8 Ohm modes listed. If not, check the manufacture spec sheet.

In terms of brand, EV and RCF are two well known and reliable brands, but as usual they come at a premium. After that I dont know as I'm only small time.

Advertisement