Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT

Options
  • 16-08-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I had an NCT today and my car failed on Visual/Aural defects (Steering linkage (43) - Rack and Pinion - Worn - Both Offside and Nearside Front). I asked about the defects and could I see them so I know what's wrong. This was refused. Is this normal?

Also I have the results from my test of 2 years and 20,000miles ago and something struck me as strange. My car did better in the Brake and Suspension than the test 2 years ago and has had no work since. So I've improved it's brakes and suspension just by driving it.

Finally anyone have any idea of cost to get the Steering Linkage fixed for an 05 Saab 9-3? Sorry I don't have more details but as I said they wouldn't give me any more.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It'll be wear that caused the problem I'm sure. You'll actually have disimproved steering and braking components by using them.

The cost of repair depends on what exactly needs to be replaced, and the time needed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Sorry Henry. I just edited my post.

My test today gave me better Brakes and less imbalance in Suspension than the test 2 years ago. I just find that strange because I have done no work on the brakes or suspension and would assume that things in cars only depreciate and don't get better on their own.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No worries at all.

I guess newer components might "bed in" a bit with relatively few miles? Also remember that brakes, suspension and steering are all different bits of kit, and do different jobs, even though they all interact.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

GSOIRL wrote: »
    Sorry Henry. I just edited my post.

My test today gave me better Brakes and less imbalance in Suspension than the test 2 years ago. I just find that strange because I have done no work on the brakes or suspension and would assume that things in cars only depreciate and don't get better on their own.

There's nothing really strange with it.

Suspension test is just measuring a difference between off-side and near-side.
    2 years ago one of shocks could be gone more, than the other.
    By today, they are both gone enough, to show similar results - that's why you get less imbalance in them.
    The same applies to brakes. It's not like the older they are the worse they work. Until nothing is stiff, you can get very random readings, assuming your pads and discs are still all-right. When pads are gone, or calipers stiff, the results would be showing it.

Remember as well, that this results don't tell you too much.

F.E. results might be great, but break pads might be at the really end of their life, and then after few hundred miles, you might start breaking metal to metal :) which will be a bit extreme.

As well with suspension.
    If all shocks are gone by the same amount, imbalance will be minimal. Unless they are leaking visually, they will pass even if they are completely crap already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 anthea

I had an NCT today and my car failed on Visual/Aural defects (Steering linkage (43) - Rack and Pinion - Worn - Both Offside and Nearside Front). I asked about the defects and could I see them so I know what's wrong. This was refused. Is this normal?

Also I have the results from my test of 2 years and 20,000miles ago and something struck me as strange. My car did better in the Brake and Suspension than the test 2 years ago and has had no work since. So I've improved it's brakes and suspension just by driving it.

Finally anyone have any idea of cost to get the Steering Linkage fixed for an 05 Saab 9-3? Sorry I don't have more details but as I said they wouldn't give me any more.

Hi had an NCT today (nissan primera 2004) and had this visual/aural defects

steering linkage (43) - worn offsidefront
    repeat side slip test

how much will it cost me if i let it fixed, please help

** i just drive but doesn't know whats this is all about.. sad thing about female drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Inner or outer balljoint will be worn.

Can't imagine more than Eur 60 for the part plus 1 hours labour and and alignment.

The bog standard tyre places might even be able to do it for you.

Under 200, possibly under 150 I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 anthea

thank you E39Msport...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

anthea wrote: »

Hi had an NCT today (nissan primera 2004) and had this visual/aural defects

steering linkage (43) - worn offsidefront
    repeat side slip test

how much will it cost me if i let it fixed, please help

** i just drive but doesn't know whats this is all about.. sad thing about female drivers

I was told it depends if it's the outer or inner part of the linkage as to how much it costs. Inner being a lot more expensive.

For my Saab I got the 2 outer linkage fixed. I priced it in a few places with vast differences in quotes (so check around). It cost me around €140 all together which from my research was a good price. If you're in Cork I can tell you the garage. If not I don't think you should pay more to replace only one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

OSI wrote: »
    Don't worry, someone will be along to tell you it's all a load of money making rigged bollocks anyway.

Me me me me :D:D:D

Advertisement