Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Hearn statement re Players not going to Brazilian Masters

Options
  • 16-08-2011 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

"The fact that Mark Williams, John Higgins, Ding Junhui, Neil Robertson, Stephen Maguire, Ronnie O’Sullivan, Judd Trump, Mark Allen and Matthew Stevens have all declined their invitation to the Brazilian Masters is very, very disappointing.

“A year ago all these players were moaning about lack of tournaments and yet now I am getting excuses ranging from “I think I’m worth a few more bob” to “I do not want to be away from the wife and children!”

“It is time for all players and in particular the top players, who have so much to gain, to understand that snooker is a sport not a hobby and they are professional sportsmen not part timers.

“This tournament could open up the whole of South America and it needed the support of all the top players to get us a major ranking event next year. Frankly, the commitment is just not good enough.

“I know it is a long trip coming so soon after Shanghai but they were the only dates available so we had no alternative. Nevertheless, it is time some players realised their responsibilities to the sport if they want to share in the future success.

“So let us start by behaving like professionals please – there is a massive amount of effort going into revitalising snooker and it is very demotivating to see that the support from the so-called “stars” is not really there."

Some fair points there from Hearn. Although the timing of the tournament, so soon after Shanghai, is a bit off, I really expected more of the big names to head for Brazil to try and promote the game out there. Especially surprised at Robertson, Williams and Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bizarre really.
    It's on this place, Florianopolis.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florian%C3%B3polis

Why would you not want to go there in late September for 6 nights free holiday and a chance at a decent pot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

I kind of had a feeling this type of thing would happen when the new calendar and venues were announced.
    For years the players were crying out for more snooker events ranking or otherwise, now that they have it they don't bother playing in them.
    It's funny that all the top players are the ones who have pulled out, they should really be contracted to play in these events to promote the game, and what's really getting to Hearn is that Judd Trump is playing a televised challenge match against Ding Junhui in China at the same time so they can't really be using the logistics as an excuse.
    I'm surprised at Higgins, he of all people as world champion should be travelling, you can be sure if it was a ranking event the players would travel, well everyone except Ronnie perhaps!!

I can see the calendar improving each year under Hearn with more and more events but at this rate the top players may just start to pick and choose which events they enter.
    Yes it does give players on the fringe of the top 16 and 32 a great chance to replace a top name and get the opportunity to play in these new events but South America finally has a professional snooker tournament, the fans have waited a long time to see one of their heroes and the players don't bother to travel?

All credit though to Davis and Hendry for making the journey to Brazil, I hope it's a huge success and maybe as Hearn suggests it will possibly lead to a
    ranking event there in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

The calendar is a bit messy at the moment so I can understand the players lack of interest in it to an extent, but they've got a game to promote and with over half of the top 16 not going, it's very disappointing.

Fair play to Hendry though - he said that if we was not going to retire he would be going for it 100% and he's proved that to be the case so far. Hope he does well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Hopefully Hendry plays Davis in the final. That'd be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

hearn is certainly right, i mean it has to work both ways . he has done great work in getting more worldwide tournaments and the top players i.e. ronnie, john higgins , mark williams etc. must keep their end of the bargain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Maybe if he made any top16 absentees from the last overseas tournament to play a prelim match in their next U.K ranking tournament as incentive to appear in overseas tournaments?.

Advertisement