Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its all going too fast!

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭

When were you first seized with the feeling that your life is going too fast!

From time to time everyone no matter what age wishes they could go back and change things, that's not what I am talking about, I am talking about that sudden overwhelming moment when you realise you only get one life and it going too fast.

Last week my daughter was over from the UK and I was driving her around a lot and met her friends who are now adults, one day I looked around at these nurses, teachers, social workers and I remembered them as children playing in the garden at one of my daughters birthday parties and it really did seem as if it was only the a blink of an eye since my children were small, made me a bit sad which is not like me at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Amen to that! In the last 12 months or so. By the time my baby grandchildren are in their mid teens, I will be in my 80s. So little time and so much still to do! Not a good way to think, live for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I fully agree. I remember playing with my friends and going to my first school and running around. Then I remember my first neice being born and holding her and cuddling her. Then I remember her kids being born and cuddling them. (Love the smell of babies, as a man that means I am weird I suppose) And now those young ones are studying for exams and things. It has all gone by so fast, sometimes I really long for the days I could cuddle them and play games or watch cartoons on the telly with them.

Even to this day I still laugh with my sister about her nappy getting stained from a particularly bad carpet my mother bought in a cheapo sale.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

One theory goes:

To a five-year old child, a year is 20% of their life; to a fifty-year old, it is 2%.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

It never struck me at all until my mother died.....and then I became aware of my mortality and how I needed to make the most of my time here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Been feeling this way since I hit 50 ten years ago. Been trying to fit in as much as I can before I toddle off, but don't have either the power or the cash to do very much, but am doing everything that I possibly can, however, 'stuff' keeps getting in the way unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm 23 and already feeling it ffs. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Realised that I would not be around forever when my brother died about five years ago. And promptly forgot. Then a heart attack in April 2009 brought up the subject again. A hip operation last September further reinforced the above ......... but then I started being a good boy and following doctor's orders. And I've found a way to eradicate thinners from my life - a half bottle of red wine daily :). Mostly I think/live que sera, sera. Feel better now than I did when I was 50. And am confident of living and drooling well into old age. Inshallah! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭legrand

I think it was Ralph Richardson who said [something like] "at my age it feels like breakfast comes around every 15 minutes"

legrand wrote: »
    I think it was Ralph Richardson who said [something like] "at my age it feels like breakfast comes around every 15 minutes"

Well certainly Fridays seem to come round fairly fast. Course that could also be due to now having a four day week, week starts on Tuesdays! I do notice that I have no sooner put the Christmas tree in the attic than I have to take it down again.:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

looksee wrote: »
    I do notice that I have no sooner put the Christmas tree in the attic than I have to take it down again.:D

You should probably take it down before June next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Can't believe Christmas is just over 80 days away.....seems like yesterday it was -13 and 3 foot of snow outside....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

For me , it's something as simple as listening to the younger folk griping because their partners haven't texted........how the hell did any of us get through relationships without phones/mobiles/internet ? It makes me feel sooo old, and I consider myself still very young.

As for their online dating? What was wrong with the Ireland's Own's dating page.:rolleyes:

Oh how times have changed- I feel like I've lived 8 decades in the last 2!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

msthe80s wrote: »
    For me , it's something as simple as listening to the younger folk griping because their partners haven't texted........how the hell did any of us get through relationships without phones/mobiles/internet ? It makes me feel sooo old, and I consider myself still very young.

As for their online dating? What was wrong with the Ireland's Own's dating page.:rolleyes:

Oh how times have changed- I feel like I've lived 8 decades in the last 2!!

Don't forget 'Lisdoon, Lisdoon, Lisdoon, Lisdoonvarna...oooooh Lisdoonvarna'!!!!!:)

msthe80s wrote: »

As for their online dating? What was wrong with the Ireland's Own's dating page.:rolleyes: ...........................................................

My first love ........... by snailmail ......... a girl from Kilkenny. Still remember her name and address. Just penpals and never met her. I suppose I was about 9. Thanks to the Penpal page in the Ireland's Own.

All together, "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUJeWrX6Y4

I shouldn't have clicked on that link, I was just about to go to bed but found several things I just had to listen to!

looksee wrote: »
    I shouldn't have clicked on that link, I was just about to go to bed but found several things I just had to listen to!

I was going to say "serves you right" ... but I did the self same thing. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭hairy sailor

i work offshore 3 weeks on 3 weeks off,in my mid 30's,it's a nightmare how quick my like seem's to be going.My 3 week's off are gone in a blink then i just switch off out here so really i only live 6 months of the year.my son turning 17 last month's not helping matters.i'd have a drink to drown my sorrow's but we're not allowed booze out here.:mad:

Look on the bright side, 6 months of the year without a drink will save you lots of money, and your 17 year old son can then spend it all for you.:pac:

i work offshore 3 weeks on 3 weeks off,in my mid 30's,it's a nightmare how quick my like seem's to be going.My 3 week's off are gone in a blink then i just switch off out here so really i only live 6 months of the year.my son turning 17 last month's not helping matters.i'd have a drink to drown my sorrow's but we're not allowed booze out here.:mad:

That's where Alcopatch (pat pending) comes in handy. Just take out of individual sachet, peel off protective covering and slap it on your arm. Far easier than those helmet thingies with the can atop and the tube to mouth.

At all good stores (and some not-so-good).

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

legrand wrote: »

or was it John Mortimer in 'The Summer of a Doormouse' ?

I'm not sure - but it is so true:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

When I refused to sign over to a different utility company that offered lower prices for a year. I refused on the grounds that the year would speed past, and I'd forget to change to the next lower-price offer. Sad but true. The annual bills like car tax seem to come around quite quickly, with me thinking "but I've only just paid it!"

Advertisement