Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike parking precautions?

Options
  • 16-08-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

I should have my BTW Trek 1.2 by the end of this week and I hope to get a lot more use out of it than just cycling the 7-8 miles into work a couple of times a week but I'm curious as to what the lie of the land currently is around bike security.

At home the bike will mostly live in a locked barna shed with PIR security lights pointing at it. (Do I presume I should also add it to my home insurance policy as a specified risk?)

At work it will be on a secure site, badged access, security barriers, mobile patrols, cctv and locked in a bike shed.

Other than those two primary parking places, where it would be for hours or days on end, I regularly visit the Mater Hospital for blood tests. Generally in and out within half an hour and I've been watching for internal railings where bikes get locked lately (presumably for the day) so guessing mine should be ok for 30 mins? Hoping.

Am I looking at this the wrong way? Is the lion's share of bike theft pure opportunism on the part of some scrote who spots it on his way past and happens to have a bolt cutters or angle grinder in his jacket? Or, can I relax(ish) with the thought that they're scoping bike parking areas and know which bikes will be there for how long generally?

Or the third option: Should I be more concerned with pieces of my bike going astray? Coming out after a night shift to find my wheels, pedals and saddle have departed but my frame is where I locked it!

Maybe ridiculously noobish questions but the last bike I had stolen was my Raleigh Chopper when I left it leaning against the window of the local newsagent when I went to buy some Star Wars stickers!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

The main advice is to lock your bike with 2 decent locks that are different. Thieves usually only carry 1 set of tools so a 2nd lock may defeat it. This site was set up by British Police and grades locks (gold, silver and bronze). Buy at least a gold and silver one. http://www.soldsecure.com/search/

Bike components are expensive and are easy to steal. Take your computer and lights with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Find something heavy to lock it to when you have it your shed - I made the mistake of not doing that. They broke into the shed fairly easily and took my giant scr

Check with your insurance company re the specified risk issue

NMG

Advertisement